Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,187 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to St. Louis and would like to be as close as possible to Washington Univ. as possible, while keeping in a safer neighborhood. Recently some rentals in the area have caught our eye, but its so hard to know if the locations are safe or not. We are looking forward to living with all kinds of folks, but we don't want to live where there is a lot of crime/theft/breakins, etc. I have scoped out the crime map of the city and it just seems like there are no really "great" spots in town. We don't have kids who are going to school (and they won't while we are living in STL) so that isn't so much of an issue. But it would be nice to be in a neighborhood that we don't have to worry about all the time. I saw a neighborhood just to the east of the Glen Echo Country Club that had some homes for rent. It looks ok (from what I can see) but I don't know if that is ok or not. Hoping you all can give me insight to that area and others around the University that would be safer. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 02:25 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Trying to figure out why you're looking at the area around Glen Echo Country club when you want to be as close to WashU as possible. Glen Echo is a gorgeous club but sadly most of the area around it is not very nice. What's your budget?

Clayton, Brentwood, the south side of University City, Maplewood are some places to consider just to start that are closer to WashU.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 4,187 times
That's the tricky part. We are going to be tight, financially, and need to keep our rental costs under $1000. I have spoken to a couple of realtors and they have been very honest and said "good luck" getting a rental you can afford with space for 3 kids and a pet, anywhere near the university. Another factor is having just 1 car for the family. That's a big part of our need to be close to the school.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:09 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
What size house are you looking for? I'm guessing a 3 bedroom?

You're right, that $1000 is going to be tight but it isn't impossible, especially since School Districts aren't a concern right now.

I would start with looking around University City since it will be close to Washington University but still may offer some affordability. I'll think about some more suggestions (given your situation with only one vehicle) when I get the chance

Good Luck!

Old 03-04-2014, 12:13 AM

131 posts, read 185,368 times
I agree, U City is a good place to start. They have some surprisingly cheap rentals for the size...although I was disappointed to discover (when I looked a few months ago, at least) that many didn't seem to have laundry facilities in the building. This may have just been a fluke, though...I was looking at one-bedroom rentals. Still, not a make-or-break factor for many people...I just hate the cold (as I know I've mentioned many times!), and carrying laundry through the snow was an extremely unappealing thought!

It's true that there are parts of U City that are safer than others...when I was apartment-hunting there, I think I looked at one on Eastgate and another near Rosebury. I'll have to look at a map again to be sure...it's not an area I visit all that often anymore (it's nice...I just have less reason to).

People who live closer may have a better idea, but I get the sense it's somewhat block-to-block...the closer to the University, the better...but also the more expensive! If you find places on specific streets, I can try to give you my impression, although of course that's not hard data. In general, it's a really interesting area with a lot to do...many people walking around, especially on the main strip, though it does get somewhat sketchy in the outer areas. You see a good number of police cars patrolling, though...but I was advised not to run at night (as I used to like to do...before I hurt my knee...ouch and unhappy).

Best of luck to you, and feel free to ask any questions...I'll do my best to help. I think you'll enjoy it here!

Edit: oh, I have to check out the Glen Echo Country Club on a map...that's not an area I'm familiar with. Is it close to Wash U?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 AM

Glen Echo is actually closer to UMSL. There is actually some incredible housing stock around there (1920s-1940s) and some amazing municipalities such as Pasadena Hills and parts of Bel-Nor, Bellerive, etc, but they feel like small treasures hidden amongst less desirable areas such as Normandy, Cool Valley, etc.

If you do get the chance to drive around Pasadena Hills though, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Pasadena Hills Photos

DH and I were looking at houses for sale there when we were house hunting.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by covenantmomma View Post
That's the tricky part. We are going to be tight, financially, and need to keep our rental costs under $1000. I have spoken to a couple of realtors and they have been very honest and said "good luck" getting a rental you can afford with space for 3 kids and a pet, anywhere near the university. Another factor is having just 1 car for the family. That's a big part of our need to be close to the school.
So with 3 kids, none of them in school, and 2 adults, one car, and a job at Wash U. My mind goes straight to the Metrolink line-- what can you rent near as possible to the metrolink blue line....I guess I would start by looking at rental properties as close as possible to the Maplewood and Shrewsbury stations. These would tend to be safer and more desirable than the areas east of Glen Echo CC, and the metrolink ride would be 15-20 minutes to Wash U.

Alternatively, you could look to the Skinker DeBalieviere neighborhood, which is a little divier than U City to the west, but still a very vibrant area within walking distance of the main campus. It is block by block, but the areas just east of Skinker and south of Delmar are mostly neat and well-kept-- that owuld be a fine area to live with young children in my opinion.

You might be able to find a space in U City for under $1000, but given the size of your family, I'm guessing you wouldn't like the options.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 PM

I did a quick Zillow search and I couldn't see any 3+ bedrooms for less than $1000 in Shrewsbury / Maplewood kind of areas which I agree would be a lot, lot better than Glen Echo surrounds.

I'm thinking a large apartment in Skinker DeBaliviere is definitely a good suggestion, but you're right, it really does go block by block.

OP, if your housing budget is able to stretch just a couple of hundred more, that would give you more options

Old 03-05-2014, 06:32 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,282 times
Right you are Glam. Guess it would help if I perused the listings first. So now that I have done that, Maplewood and Shrewsbury are off the list, but U City is definitely still on. Take the following for example:
7354 Tulane (Huge 3 bed, 2 bath apt, CA, parquet fls, liv & din rms)
I am guessing this place is old and needs TLC, but there is nothing at all wrong with the hood-- I used to live a couple blocks away and it is very nice, clean, quiet and low crime. Multiple beautiful parks within walking distance-- good for walking to with a stroller when trying to get infant children to sleep. If you can find something in a 2 or 4 unit in the University Heights area (anything in the area bounded by Vernon, Midland, Delmar, and Hanley), you should strongly consider it.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 PM

787 posts, read 1,414,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Right you are Glam. Guess it would help if I perused the listings first. So now that I have done that, Maplewood and Shrewsbury are off the list, but U City is definitely still on. Take the following for example:
7354 Tulane (Huge 3 bed, 2 bath apt, CA, parquet fls, liv & din rms)
I am guessing this place is old and needs TLC, but there is nothing at all wrong with the hood-- I used to live a couple blocks away and it is very nice, clean, quiet and low crime. Multiple beautiful parks within walking distance-- good for walking to with a stroller when trying to get infant children to sleep. If you can find something in a 2 or 4 unit in the University Heights area (anything in the area bounded by Vernon, Midland, Delmar, and Hanley), you should strongly consider it.
This rental is in my 'hood: University Park!!! Anyone who reads the STL thread knows I'm an über fan girl for my neighborhood. tons of young families here. It's a very safe area and beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis