U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,713 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone else has made a big move like this and could give some useful advice to my fiance and I. We were looking into possibly getting moving PODS so that we can pack up our belongings and then have them stored for us while we drive out to look for our new home. Is this a good idea or should we get a moving truck and then purchase a storage unit once we are out there? So we have been thinking to either tow my fiance's car with the moving truck or driving it out there and getting pods and we will be selling my car. I also want to know of any safe areas in St. Louis to raise a family. Also, does anyone have a ballpark of how much this might cost? We are excited to move away from CA and start our family any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:04 AM

5,862 posts, read 11,416,548 times
We moved from OC to StL using a PODs-like system (Door to Door Storage) It worked great. They will wear house them as long as you need. We drove both cars out and stopped every 4 hours, or place of interest for a break. Towing isn't a bad option, but for such a long distance, you may want to use a trailer rather than a tow bar.

Back 2008, it cost us $1000 for 4 containers.
Gas was considerably more expensive (there were places charging $5/gallon) it costs us roughly $500 per car.
We stayed in Microtels when ever we could find them.
If you can't find a Microtel, find a hotel with a pool and a hot tub. A good soak at the end of the day is worth the small premium.

For meals, we usually ate the complimentary breakfast at the hotels.
We stayed away from franchise beaneries, and opted to look for local flavor (the ones with the old Blue-haired waitress than calls you "hon"). There is some very good Mexican food in New Mexico (and the style of cooking is considerably different than what you find in Southern CA)

St Louis is generally safe. West County and St. Charles County are very suburban and family oriented.

The downside for me was that I really didn't like living in Missouri. I moved back to CA two years later.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 PM

446 posts, read 417,461 times
A friend of mine moved from CA to STL with three school going kids and he is EXTREMELY pleased. They live in West County as he works as an SAP software developer for Monsanto.
I hope you feel the same. Welcome to STL.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,713 times
Thank you guys! We are saving for the move and moving December Very excited but still just trying to figure out the details as far as storage, moving companies and places to live. I will look into West County for sure. Thanks for the help you guys!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 AM

23,601 posts, read 32,663,032 times
Can't help you regarding St. Louis as we moved from CA to SW MO. However, I can recommend ABF to move you. You pack and load a semi-trailer they park for three days where you now live and are charged for the number of cubic feet of the trailer you take up. They can also arrange packers and loaders where you are now and un-loaders where you end up. If you need time to find a new home they'll store your household goods for you at extremely reasonable rates until you're ready for them. We used them for our move 4.5 years ago and found their rates very fair and the service good. Of course it helped that we made a door-to-door move having already purchased a home in MO.

Best of luck and enjoy your new state. I give Dinsdale a bad trime on occasion but MO is very different from CA and not for everyone. Hope you have a good experience. It might help, if it matters, that St. Louis is quite liberal and there are four or five Trader Joe's in and around the city so you may avoid complete culture shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis