U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM
 
53 posts, read 54,577 times
Reputation: 60

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
I realize this is somewhat relative to people, but come on, since when?

(btw, I'm referring to the traffic part, I don't support living super far away either, but for different reasons)
Well...for the 35+ years I lived there? I realize what people consider bad is subjective, but I worked 7-3 just to avoid it. If you work "normal" 9-6 hours, you will hit traffic both ways. I worked in Clayton, my husband worked downtown, it took him almost an hour each way.

I was there in December...Manchester was horrifying most times of day, 270 gets very jammed in various places...I stayed off 40 except off hours and to go to the zoo so that wasn't too bad. Remember when the bridge was one lane? Remember when 70 and 40 were closed in places at the same time? Remember when huge hunks of 40 were closed for over a year? Didn't the page extension recently get expanded? All that happened in what, the last 6-8 years? So, I guess my answer is...since forever, lol. I don't consider sitting in traffic for 45-50 minutes enjoyable.

The only time it wasn't too bad is when I lived right by 170.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2014, 03:48 PM
 
53 posts, read 54,577 times
Reputation: 60
St Louis City Updates

That is a good link for upcoming projects, might help OP, it is for the city but you can dig around and find other parts of St. Louis too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2014, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis, MO
3,360 posts, read 7,329,716 times
Reputation: 2175
St. Louis is lucky to have safe areas at most price ranges from about $70k-$500k. The real difference between areas are school districts, the best districts command the highest prices. There are some good deals out there too, such as Ladue School district in the city of Olivette. The best inner ring burb that will have some affordable housing and allow a decent school district would be Richmond Heights. The homes are older, the lots aren't huge (for the most part), but the area has some fantastic architecture and is pretty darn safe.

Anyone who says that St. Louis traffic is terrible is either grossly exaggerating or doesn't get out much. I'd hop on Zillow and put in some of your search criteria (price, size, bathrooms, etc) then see where the homes pop up all throughout the St. Louis metro area. From the CWE you can likely get out to the Western edge of St. Charles, maybe the Eastern edge of St. Peters before your commute will extend beyond 45 minutes.

Larger homes in Chesterfield may be out of your $200k budget, but once again, check zillow to find out. Most of the county dates from about 1950-present day. Much of the city of St. Charles will have homes from about 1985-present day.

What you're going to learn is that this City-Data board is very pro-city and urban living...so there's a tendency that people put a huge value on public transportation (which is pretty limited in scope throughout St. Louis) and walkability. The further from St. Louis City you are, the less walkable. Webster Groves is fairly walkable in certain areas, and is an awesome part of the County. You can get in for $200k, but expect a smaller home...although the lots might be large enough, just depends on how lucky you are. Good luck in your search, I love home searching, tons of fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2014, 08:42 PM
 
53 posts, read 54,577 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
St. Louis is lucky to have safe areas at most price ranges from about $70k-$500k. The real difference between areas are school districts, the best districts command the highest prices. There are some good deals out there too, such as Ladue School district in the city of Olivette. The best inner ring burb that will have some affordable housing and allow a decent school district would be Richmond Heights. The homes are older, the lots aren't huge (for the most part), but the area has some fantastic architecture and is pretty darn safe.

Anyone who says that St. Louis traffic is terrible is either grossly exaggerating or doesn't get out much. I'd hop on Zillow and put in some of your search criteria (price, size, bathrooms, etc) then see where the homes pop up all throughout the St. Louis metro area. From the CWE you can likely get out to the Western edge of St. Charles, maybe the Eastern edge of St. Peters before your commute will extend beyond 45 minutes.

Larger homes in Chesterfield may be out of your $200k budget, but once again, check zillow to find out. Most of the county dates from about 1950-present day. Much of the city of St. Charles will have homes from about 1985-present day.

What you're going to learn is that this City-Data board is very pro-city and urban living...so there's a tendency that people put a huge value on public transportation (which is pretty limited in scope throughout St. Louis) and walkability. The further from St. Louis City you are, the less walkable. Webster Groves is fairly walkable in certain areas, and is an awesome part of the County. You can get in for $200k, but expect a smaller home...although the lots might be large enough, just depends on how lucky you are. Good luck in your search, I love home searching, tons of fun!
Great advice as far as almost everything...but I see you are in St. Ann. I lived in Overland. Traffic is not the same out that way as what I was referring to...namely, Chesterfield, St. Charles, Wentzville which the OP did mention. I can assure you I am not exaggerating my experience of driving into Clayton nor my husband driving into downtown for over 10 years. Daily (from both Town & Country and St. Charles). When I lived in Overland, it was quite a different experience, as I stated. Traffic IS something to be concerned about, but it also depends on OP's work hours. I adjusted mine so I didn't have to deal with it. Have you driven the route I am mentioning repeatedly? If not, then not really fair to say there is an exaggeration or that people "don't get out much". Granted, I got extra burnt out after Hwy 40 was closed for so long, maybe I'm more sensitive, but I know how long I was in the car every day.

Another traffic badspot...I drove daily for two years from Kirkwood to Florissant and back...always congested around Hwy 70...45 minutes of driving and 45 minutes mostly in traffic are also two different commute experiences. Just something to keep in mind...I am not making it up nor am I exaggerating.

The smart thing to do is test it out once OP settles on a particular area, during rush hour. Maybe some people don't care...it is just my opinion because I did care. It is like saying winter there "isn't that bad", or summer humidity is "mild". Opinion.

I don't want to sound all negative, because I'm not...St. Louis is a great family town in most places...there are so many things to do as a family, and in general people are pretty friendly. There are a lot of churches, shopping, restaurants, theater, symphony, plays...obviously sporting events. St. Louis people are fiercely loyal to the sports teams, especially the Cardinals, it is a very cool environment. It is beautiful in Spring and Fall, one nice thing is a Fall drive when the leaves turn. The zoo is awesome, as well as the Science Center and City Museum. I had a good childhood, and my children loved the environment and their schools. One weird thing about St. Louis, when you meet people they may ask where you went to High School...my husband experienced it when he first moved there and finally asked me what was up with that. Basically the High School you go to describes the area you grew up, your economic childhood circumstances, and may instantly connect people via who they knew at that school. I've lived in several other places and this seems like a St. Louis thing!

Oh, and it is only a couple of hours away from the Lake of the Ozarks, you may hear people call it "The Lake". Can be a nice weekend getaway.

Good luck OP, wherever you land, you'll most certainly have a very nice life there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis, MO
3,360 posts, read 7,329,716 times
Reputation: 2175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatsMeoww View Post
Great advice as far as almost everything...but I see you are in St. Ann. I lived in Overland. Traffic is not the same out that way as what I was referring to...namely, Chesterfield, St. Charles, Wentzville which the OP did mention. I can assure you I am not exaggerating my experience of driving into Clayton nor my husband driving into downtown for over 10 years. Daily (from both Town & Country and St. Charles). When I lived in Overland, it was quite a different experience, as I stated. Traffic IS something to be concerned about, but it also depends on OP's work hours. I adjusted mine so I didn't have to deal with it. Have you driven the route I am mentioning repeatedly? If not, then not really fair to say there is an exaggeration or that people "don't get out much". Granted, I got extra burnt out after Hwy 40 was closed for so long, maybe I'm more sensitive, but I know how long I was in the car every day.

Another traffic badspot...I drove daily for two years from Kirkwood to Florissant and back...always congested around Hwy 70...45 minutes of driving and 45 minutes mostly in traffic are also two different commute experiences. Just something to keep in mind...I am not making it up nor am I exaggerating.

The smart thing to do is test it out once OP settles on a particular area, during rush hour. Maybe some people don't care...it is just my opinion because I did care. It is like saying winter there "isn't that bad", or summer humidity is "mild". Opinion.

I don't want to sound all negative, because I'm not...St. Louis is a great family town in most places...there are so many things to do as a family, and in general people are pretty friendly. There are a lot of churches, shopping, restaurants, theater, symphony, plays...obviously sporting events. St. Louis people are fiercely loyal to the sports teams, especially the Cardinals, it is a very cool environment. It is beautiful in Spring and Fall, one nice thing is a Fall drive when the leaves turn. The zoo is awesome, as well as the Science Center and City Museum. I had a good childhood, and my children loved the environment and their schools. One weird thing about St. Louis, when you meet people they may ask where you went to High School...my husband experienced it when he first moved there and finally asked me what was up with that. Basically the High School you go to describes the area you grew up, your economic childhood circumstances, and may instantly connect people via who they knew at that school. I've lived in several other places and this seems like a St. Louis thing!

Oh, and it is only a couple of hours away from the Lake of the Ozarks, you may hear people call it "The Lake". Can be a nice weekend getaway.

Good luck OP, wherever you land, you'll most certainly have a very nice life there.
I can agree -

At rush hour going West into Chesterfield on I-64/40 can be terrible...and expect delays from about Ballas Rd all the way to the Chesterfield Valley, which isn't my idea of fun. I do work with people who commute from Lake St. Louis to downtown daily, and don't seem to have issue with the travel, and it takes them between 45-50 minutes...however we have pretty flexible work schedules, and many folks start at 6:00 am and leave the office around 2:30-3:00 pm.

I also know of people living as far away as Washington and still making their commute up I-44 into downtown in less than 50 minutes, but I assume they're going a bit faster than the speed limit...even still, it's "possible".

My recommendation is still for the inner-ring burbs, and just keep looking till you find a home that meets your needs (size, location, school district, price, etc). We feel lucky to have found a decently sized home (could be bigger) where we are, sitting on a level half acre lot with a 3 car garage / workshop. Others want 2400 SF on a 12,000 SF lot in a subdivision that's car dependent, where as others want even less. If you think your family is over "urban living" then counties surrounding St. Louis City have a lot to offer you, while keeping you relatively close to the major metropolitan attractions...if you think you'd prefer a more urban environment, there's plenty of great deals on large historic homes in St. Louis City....Best of luck, and check back if you're needing more help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2014, 06:36 AM
 
3 posts, read 4,100 times
Reputation: 10
In regard to the south side, which are the neighborhoods to best avoid living in as far as crime is concerned? It seems like this would be the better question to ask since the safer neighborhoods seem to outweigh the more dangerous ones. And is the south side pretty much considered south of Delmar?

All of your input has been extremely helpful and is much appreciated! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2014, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Saint Louis, MO
3,360 posts, read 7,329,716 times
Reputation: 2175
We typically refer to the Southside as the area south of I-64/40.

Areas that I'm not thrilled with:
Tower Grove East
Benton Park West
Gravois Park
Parts of Shaw

With the exception of some streets in Shaw, the area I described is East of Grand and West of Jefferson.

If you're looking West (near the CWE) the cutoff line for most folks is Delmar, as property values drop off suddenly North of Delmar, and the locations have considerably more African Americans. A lot of this ties back to historic St. Louis segregation lines. And what's sad is the gorgeous housing stock 1 or 2 blocks North of Delmar that many will never see as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2014, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis, MO
1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Reputation: 910
I get everything on the above list except for "parts of Shaw." Elaborate?

I'd add Dutchtown to this list--sadly the area seems to be a little on the downswing of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2014, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Saint Louis, MO
3,360 posts, read 7,329,716 times
Reputation: 2175
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
I get everything on the above list except for "parts of Shaw." Elaborate?

I'd add Dutchtown to this list--sadly the area seems to be a little on the downswing of things.

I have a friend who purchased and renovated a home on Shenandoah about four five years ago. Gorgeous older home that they did a gut rehab on. The area isn't "bad" and the home is actually quite nice. However in conversations with him, he described it as "rough" on the nice days and downright dangerous at other times (i.e. feeling the need to answer his door with his pistol in his hand). He had quite a bit of property crime, much of it including kids getting over his privacy fence and taking stuff out of the backyard, and one who knocked over his motorcycle (grrrrr).

Dropping into street view however -those streets look gorgeous and well kept.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top