U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 05:27 AM

6 posts, read 7,369 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the St. Louis area in a few months. I have children so I am looking for a suburb that has great schools. I would like a subdivision that has a lot of families. I will be renting the first year due to we need sell our house back home. I work from home so I am not worried about the commute. I would like to be no more than 30 mins from the city. I was looking online and came across new town st charles? Any advise would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 06:04 AM

3,360 posts, read 7,329,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21010 View Post
I will be moving to the St. Louis area in a few months. I have children so I am looking for a suburb that has great schools. I would like a subdivision that has a lot of families. I will be renting the first year due to we need sell our house back home. I work from home so I am not worried about the commute. I would like to be no more than 30 mins from the city. I was looking online and came across new town st charles? Any advise would be great!
New Town St. Charles is an awesome community.

Google lists it as a 33 minute commute to St. Louis, which is likely between 30-40 minutes depending on traffic volume and how long it takes to get out of your garage and the neighborhood.

It's an awesome little town, great amenities, very safe, somewhat isolated, and quiet. They have great little festivities (movies on the park, art shows, etc) on a regular basis, plus sand volleyball, several bars, the community garden, pool, fishing, etc...It also puts you close to Old Town St. Charles which is a great historic community. The town does have some funky regulations - Home paint colors are chosen and approved by the board, mowers aren't supposed to be gas powered, etc...the actual town was supposed to be considerably larger, but the recession really put a major hamper on development. You can find numerous differences in home prices there, condos for well under $100k and "mansions" for about $500k.

The only real downsides I see are general isolation of the area, and the fact that it's in a flood plain. While the waters haven't reached new town, I feel it's only a matter of time. We had fairly substantial flooding a few years ago, and the water was within about a half mile of New Town Blvd. With the right combination of levee failures and another massive flood similar to 1993, I imagine New Town would be under water.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:28 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
What is your budget and what size house would you be looking for? That would help narrow down your options

I personally think that New Town is too isolated, and depending on your budget, would start my search on the St. Louis side of the Missouri river around Maryland Heights, Creve Coeur, etc

And flynavyj is right, New Town was built on top of an area that was all under water in 1993. Even though improvements to the levees have been made, I've heard that if a flood of '93's magnitude were to happen again, that area would still be flooded.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:17 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
What is your budget and what size house would you be looking for? That would help narrow down your options

I personally think that New Town is too isolated, and depending on your budget, would start my search on the St. Louis side of the Missouri river around Maryland Heights, Creve Coeur, etc

And flynavyj is right, New Town was built on top of an area that was all under water in 1993. Even though improvements to the levees have been made, I've heard that if a flood of '93's magnitude were to happen again, that area would still be flooded.

^^^^ This. New Town to downtown STL in 30 minutes is doable under ideal conditions, i.e., not during morning rush hour, no accidents on the Blanchette Bridge, no inclement weather. FWIW we've had a lot of inclement weather this winter....

In my humble opinion New Town is "New Urbanism," that is to say, suburbanites role playing at living in an urban community without having to rub shoulders with poor folks. It's too Stepford for moi. It's stuck out on a flood plain which is perfect karma in that it *will* be washed away sooner than later, just like a dream.

If you want real suburbia, go with Glam's suggestions plus maybe Ballwin and Manchester.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:28 PM

446 posts, read 417,554 times
Huntleigh
Frontnec
Town and Country
Ladue
Clayton
Chesterfield
--- try these cities.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 PM

215 posts, read 659,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
^^^^ This. New Town to downtown STL in 30 minutes is doable under ideal conditions, i.e., not during morning rush hour, no accidents on the Blanchette Bridge, no inclement weather. FWIW we've had a lot of inclement weather this winter....

In my humble opinion New Town is "New Urbanism," that is to say, suburbanites role playing at living in an urban community without having to rub shoulders with poor folks. It's too Stepford for moi. It's stuck out on a flood plain which is perfect karma in that it *will* be washed away sooner than later, just like a dream.

If you want real suburbia, go with Glam's suggestions plus maybe Ballwin and Manchester.
An alternative to consider that also have a less suburban sprawl feel is finding a place close to downtown Kirkwood. Good schools, closer to city, and not isolated like New Town.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:42 AM

7 posts, read 9,839 times
new town is not a suburb of st.louis and is also a cult....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or