U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:08 PM

131 posts, read 146,361 times

Advertisements

I'm *this close* to signing a lease on a place just south of Tower Grove, lots of space and good in many other aspects...but I spoke with another tenant and asked about pest problems. She said that she and others (including the one in my soon-to-be unit) have had a roach "problem"...meaning, if dishes were left in the sink for several days, or the tub not cleaned, they tended to appear.

I haven't had anything like that in the Central West End, and that definitely gave me pause. I'm by no means easily grossed out...but still, that's not something you want in your house!

My other main concern is my cat...I could try to solve the problem by spraying some pesticide (the tenant said she used some sort of powder from a hardware store?), but I think many would be toxic to cats. I don't know if the milder organic ones would work as well.

As to what she would do with a roach...she's pretty much a scaredy-cat, literally, so she might run away at first! She's not much the hunter type. And of course I want to keep her safe.

Is this generally an issue in the Tower Grove area that people have to deal with one way or another, or should I rethink my almost-fully-made decision? (One that didn't include a vision of roaches, unfortunately!). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 08:52 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,408,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havecamerawilltravel View Post
I'm *this close* to signing a lease on a place just south of Tower Grove, lots of space and good in many other aspects...but I spoke with another tenant and asked about pest problems. She said that she and others (including the one in my soon-to-be unit) have had a roach "problem"...meaning, if dishes were left in the sink for several days, or the tub not cleaned, they tended to appear.

I haven't had anything like that in the Central West End, and that definitely gave me pause. I'm by no means easily grossed out...but still, that's not something you want in your house!

My other main concern is my cat...I could try to solve the problem by spraying some pesticide (the tenant said she used some sort of powder from a hardware store?), but I think many would be toxic to cats. I don't know if the milder organic ones would work as well.

As to what she would do with a roach...she's pretty much a scaredy-cat, literally, so she might run away at first! She's not much the hunter type. And of course I want to keep her safe.

Is this generally an issue in the Tower Grove area that people have to deal with one way or another, or should I rethink my almost-fully-made decision? (One that didn't include a vision of roaches, unfortunately!). Thanks.
Just happened on this, but I have cats and a space in the foundation left open. I get bugs crawling up behind the sink from that, including roaches. I use diatimatious earth (make sure its food grade) around their pathway and it kills them. But it won't hurt your cat even if he/she eats it. You can use it for deworming in food as well. It will work on any kind of bug which crawls. You can also use it for fleas. But just be sure to get the kind that is food grade. Its easy to find on amazon.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Just happened on this, but I have cats and a space in the foundation left open. I get bugs crawling up behind the sink from that, including roaches. I use diatimatious earth (make sure its food grade) around their pathway and it kills them. But it won't hurt your cat even if he/she eats it. You can use it for deworming in food as well. It will work on any kind of bug which crawls. You can also use it for fleas. But just be sure to get the kind that is food grade. Its easy to find on amazon.
Ah, thanks very much...I wonder if that was the "powder" she was using (probably). Very good to know...appreciate it. Looks like a great place otherwise.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:51 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,814,427 times
I would actually think that it depends on the building itself and not the area as a whole.

When DH and I were renting, we moved from one end of a street to another (to a cheaper rental because we were saving up to buy), and even though the houses were the same age, and only 6 houses away from each other, the second house had an AWFUL roach problem from Day #1.

I put out roach baits and it seemed to somewhat slow the amount of roaches down. Our cat didn't bother with the roach baits but I always avoided spraying because of her.

Good tip about the diatimatious earth, I only ever knew it as a pool product!

Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I would actually think that it depends on the building itself and not the area as a whole.

When DH and I were renting, we moved from one end of a street to another (to a cheaper rental because we were saving up to buy), and even though the houses were the same age, and only 6 houses away from each other, the second house had an AWFUL roach problem from Day #1.

I put out roach baits and it seemed to somewhat slow the amount of roaches down. Our cat didn't bother with the roach baits but I always avoided spraying because of her.

Good tip about the diatimatious earth, I only ever knew it as a pool product!
Oh, hmmm....it's good to hear your perspective too, thanks. I wonder if the landlord would let me contact the tenant who's leaving and ask (if not, it might be a bad sign!). I admit, I'm not the tidiest person, though I'm trying to improve...but I don't want a little mess here and there to lead to an infestation!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:44 AM

Honestly, if there is going to be a roach infestation, even though being tidy will help, it still won't solve the problem.

Before I had a baby, I was insanely neat- dishes were washed the second after they were used, not allowed to pile up, etc (now I just do all the dishes once per day or when the sink gets full, haha). Even though I was really conscientious though, in that little house we rented we STILL got roaches, even with no food or dirty dishes left out.

If there is a bad enough infestation, you'll see them regardless!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:13 PM

7,266 posts, read 5,756,815 times
Quote:
Honestly, if there is going to be a roach infestation, even though being tidy will help, it still won't solve the problem.

Before I had a baby, I was insanely neat- dishes were washed the second after they were used, not allowed to pile up, etc (now I just do all the dishes once per day or when the sink gets full, haha). Even though I was really conscientious though, in that little house we rented we STILL got roaches, even with no food or dirty dishes left out.

If there is a bad enough infestation, you'll see them regardless!
Yep, it happens in houses in the county - LIKE MINE.

I would try not to leave dishes piling up for days though!

Old 03-07-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Yep, it happens in houses in the county - LIKE MINE.

I would try not to leave dishes piling up for days though!
Oh heck no. Even with a baby, I still make time to do the dishes at least once per day, usually in the evenings after he's gone to sleep. Thankfully I've never had a roach problem in this house!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Oh heck no. Even with a baby, I still make time to do the dishes at least once per day, usually in the evenings after he's gone to sleep. Thankfully I've never had a roach problem in this house!
Wow, I've been extremely lucky, then, is all I can say (from a person who gets miserably depressed in the winter and needs to leave this cold! Then I might be better with my dishes...but I will now anyway!).

Old 03-07-2014, 09:18 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,408,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havecamerawilltravel View Post
Ah, thanks very much...I wonder if that was the "powder" she was using (probably). Very good to know...appreciate it. Looks like a great place otherwise.
If you choose that place just be sure to clean up any powers you find before the cat can get into them. Boric acid power looks much the same and isn't harmless to animals. Good luck on finding a new place. Been there done that and glad I'm home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or