U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2014, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma, USA
15 posts, read 16,435 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

One of the schools I'm looking into going to next fall is Harris-Stowe State University. My counselor said she has never heard of it (I live in Oklahoma) so she doesn't know much about the college. I know a few things but I have some questions:

1.) What is the reputation of the school?

2.) What kind of students attend Harris? (Is the college know for slackers, partiers, ect.?)

3.) How much/ is the college involved with the community?

4.) f you know where it is- what are their facilities like? Are they run down or up to date?

5.) What kind of an area is the college in?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2014, 03:22 PM
 
131 posts, read 146,451 times
Reputation: 54
Hi...I've lived in St. Louis for 10 years, but I'm not a native, and I've been kind of isolated in the city, so keep that in mind with regards to my response. I've heard that college mentioned pretty often around here as kind of a community college (I don't know whether this is true...just the impression I've gotten), nothing to brag about.

Update: I just looked up the location on Google, and it's actually not far from me at all...I'm sure I've passed it and hardly noticed. There must be many students there who feel differently, so I am only one opinion (and I was looking at bigger universities), but it's not a place I would necessarily target if I were coming from out of state.

Others will (hopefully) be able to give more details on the college itself, facilities, etc...but that's just my opinion as a resident 30-something St. Louisan. Would be happy to have you in the city, though! I've never heard anything bad about the school, I can say that...just nothing great either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis, MO
1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Reputation: 910
What attracts you to Harris Stowe from out of state? It is not really a traditional college. No on-campus living facilities as far as I remember. There are some newer buildings on campus but I haven't spent any time in them. To the west of the school, there's a more traditional university (SLU). The area to the north of University trying to make a comeback. A couple blocks east of the campus is the western part of downtown. Not much directly south of the university, but South of Chouteau are many residential areas with plenty of retail/restaurants mixed in. SLU's medical center is also down that way.

I'd say it doesn't have the strongest or best presence in the STL area. As far as I know, the admission standards are pretty much minimal (do you have a HS degree or GED? Yes? Okay, you're good!). I've worked with some standout graduates from there though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma, USA
15 posts, read 16,435 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
What attracts you to Harris Stowe from out of state? It is not really a traditional college. No on-campus living facilities as far as I remember. There are some newer buildings on campus but I haven't spent any time in them. To the west of the school, there's a more traditional university (SLU). The area to the north of University trying to make a comeback. A couple blocks east of the campus is the western part of downtown. Not much directly south of the university, but South of Chouteau are many residential areas with plenty of retail/restaurants mixed in. SLU's medical center is also down that way.

I'd say it doesn't have the strongest or best presence in the STL area. As far as I know, the admission standards are pretty much minimal (do you have a HS degree or GED? Yes? Okay, you're good!). I've worked with some standout graduates from there though.
I stumbled upon it using College Board's match up system and what attracted me was the price and minority population.I qualify for in-state tuition, if the information I received was correct, and I liked that the college was not mostly white unlike most colleges it seems. I'm also going to the Education field and their webpage made it seem like they have a good Education field as the school was originally created to educate black Americans to teach in black inner-city schools.

I have some other colleges on my list but I defiantly wanted to see what this school was like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma, USA
15 posts, read 16,435 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by havecamerawilltravel View Post
Hi...I've lived in St. Louis for 10 years, but I'm not a native, and I've been kind of isolated in the city, so keep that in mind with regards to my response. I've heard that college mentioned pretty often around here as kind of a community college (I don't know whether this is true...just the impression I've gotten), nothing to brag about.

Update: I just looked up the location on Google, and it's actually not far from me at all...I'm sure I've passed it and hardly noticed. There must be many students there who feel differently, so I am only one opinion (and I was looking at bigger universities), but it's not a place I would necessarily target if I were coming from out of state.

Others will (hopefully) be able to give more details on the college itself, facilities, etc...but that's just my opinion as a resident 30-something St. Louisan. Would be happy to have you in the city, though! I've never heard anything bad about the school, I can say that...just nothing great either.
Yeah that is what I was thinking it was probably going to be like. It not being a popular college and all isn't a deal breaker but definaly makes me question it. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 04:08 PM
 
59 posts, read 68,832 times
Reputation: 28
I don't know much about the school, but I've gone to a couple of trainings held on campus. There is on campus housing, and I think it is pretty new, the cafeteria where we ate was nice. The early childhood center looks to be pretty new as well and is nice with good technology. I'd describe the location as ok. It isn't the nicest area, but I wouldn't have a problem walking around at night, especially on campus, either.

One thing I'll add is I'm a big fan of small colleges. Mine wasn't quite that small, but I really liked smaller classes and actually knowing my professors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis, MO
1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmineB View Post
I stumbled upon it using College Board's match up system and what attracted me was the price and minority population.I qualify for in-state tuition, if the information I received was correct, and I liked that the college was not mostly white unlike most colleges it seems.

I have some other colleges on my list but I defiantly wanted to see what this school was like.
Got it. I would definitely look into other HBCUs with a stronger reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis, MO
1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenElissa View Post
I don't know much about the school, but I've gone to a couple of trainings held on campus. There is on campus housing, and I think it is pretty new, the cafeteria where we ate was nice. The early childhood center looks to be pretty new as well and is nice with good technology. I'd describe the location as ok. It isn't the nicest area, but I wouldn't have a problem walking around at night, especially on campus, either.

One thing I'll add is I'm a big fan of small colleges. Mine wasn't quite that small, but I really liked smaller classes and actually knowing my professors.
Yep, I stand corrected. They do have on campus housing! Opened after I graduated from SLU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 07:17 PM
 
131 posts, read 146,451 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Got it. I would definitely look into other HBCUs with a stronger reputation.
I agree...if you have the qualifications, my impression (not hard data, of course) is that there are better programs out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 PM
 
14,756 posts, read 25,162,361 times
Reputation: 21286
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmineB View Post
I stumbled upon it using College Board's match up system and what attracted me was the price and minority population.I qualify for in-state tuition, if the information I received was correct, and I liked that the college was not mostly white unlike most colleges it seems. I'm also going to the Education field and their webpage made it seem like they have a good Education field as the school was originally created to educate black Americans to teach in black inner-city schools.

I have some other colleges on my list but I defiantly wanted to see what this school was like.


That is not exactly true.

Harris Teachers College was a white-only teachers college in St. Louis. Stowe Teachers College was a black-only teachers college.

When the two schools merged, the college was called Harris. Soon thereafter, upon petitioning the state, it was known as Harris-Stowe.

I will say that H-S has received substantial support from both the City of St. Louis as well as a number of large St. Louis based corporations that has allowed it to grow significantly in the past twenty years, something that you don't generally see at many HBCU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top