U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:25 PM

23 posts, read 25,427 times

Advertisements

I've been here in Chesterfield for a little over 6 months after living the prior 40+ years in the Seattle area. Sorry to tell you - if there is any place as beautiful as Gig Harbor here, I haven't found it. On the other hand, you should get more home for your money. Remember when you see Sq Ft listed here, they are not including the basement - even if it is fully finished.
Then there are the people. Everyone told me midwesterners are the nicest people and I believe it. One example - in Seattle I would see multiple drivers a day driving super aggressively - dangerously so. Here I see one of those about once a week despite logging a lot more miles on the highways.

I don't have much to add to glamatomic's good advice. Those areas should all give your husband a reasonable commute to work and give you larger lots than you would find closer to the city of St Louis. St Charles is even cheaper but other Boeing employees warned me that traffic from there to Boeing facilities can be pretty bad. (Although if you live in Gig Harbor and commute to Boeing...(Auburn? Fredrickson?) you are probably used to a long commute.
The summer weather is very hot and humid. Doesn't bother me or one of my daughters, but my wife and other daughter just want to stay inside all the time when it is like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 10:38 AM

22 posts, read 30,130 times
A belated thank you to everyone that offered all this great information. I was a little depressed when I started a preliminary look at houses. Not knowing where to look... I was not impressed with my results. But... thanks to all your suggestions, I have found some beautiful areas with great homes. Things are still up in the air. I will make a trip out around the end of April to see the area when my husband is there on business.
Packing up a house and moving is so awful!! The only bright spot is having someplace wonderful to make your new home when you make that move.
Thanks again!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:24 AM

4,060 posts, read 4,706,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxwell View Post
Here is another point he brought up. He said that several people in the office he was working in said that they live in Illinois. What would be the reason for that? I know here in Washington near the Oregon border... people work in Portland but live across the river in Washington so they don't pay income tax. Is that the case there?
FWIW, if you work in Oregon and live in WA, you're still subject to OR income tax. The people who live in Vancouver and commute across the bridge do it for various reasons (Vancouver generally has better schools and your housing dollar goes further), but on the whole taxation isn't one.

The same will hold true there. People choose different areas around STL for various reasons - there are some nice towns on both sides of the river, and if it's a 2 income family, IL may make more sense for the unit as a whole. Or it may be closer to family, etc.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:20 PM

5,862 posts, read 11,418,598 times
you will find a good number of west coast transplants / Boeing engineers in lake St. Louis. Its about as close to the west coast that you are going to get in the Saint Louis Metro Area.

While the nightlife and restaurant scene is pretty sad, the schools are good and a large creative community makes there own fun with some pretty impressive lakeside get togethers.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:18 PM

DennisF6...

Thanks for your information. It is good to hear it from someone who can relate exactly to what I am feeling and fearing.

I agree whole heartedly... Seattle drivers can be awful. My husband's commute is about 50 minutes. He works in Seattle now but worked for years in the Kent area. Luckily he goes in early and so also leaves early and unless he works late... he doesn't seem to mind the traffic too much. Especially... once the second Narrow's Bridge was completed.

We love our home here in Gig Harbor... it is the one reason I am hesitant. We have lovely neighbors, a big beautiful yard... and while the weather here can be less than perfect... when the weather is nice here... there is no place more beautiful than the Pacific NW. (Well... that is my opinion) We've both always wanted a pool. We seriously considering having one built here. And you know (as we did) it was not going to be used often. So, even though it seems it is not common there in St. Louis... it is on our 'must have' list. I am hoping the pool will ease the hot, sticky summers I am hearing about.

I am glad to hear that you have found people there to be friendly. I have also heard that. I read on a blog about Seattle that people said we are rude, stuck-up and hippies!! I guess I can see that... a little. Sometimes I think that due to the long rainy season... we all 'hibernate' somewhat... and that may come across as unfriendly. I am looking forward to more sun... friendly people and a new adventure.

We will find out next week if this is a definite move or not.

In the meantime... thank you all for your advice and information. Keep it coming! I love to research. We were looking on the map last night and realized all the places we can go see. Chicago, Kansas City, Memphis. Trying to look at the bright side!!

Old 03-26-2014, 10:27 PM

Hey... there is one thing I have been meaning to ask:

Several homes I have looked at have what appears to be screened in back porches. Is that what they are? Are bugs bad in the summer? Just wondering what the reason would be.

Thanks again!

Old 03-26-2014, 10:52 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Quote:
In the meantime... thank you all for your advice and information. Keep it coming! I love to research. We were looking on the map last night and realized all the places we can go see. Chicago, Kansas City, Memphis. Trying to look at the bright side!!
Yes. Add: Nashville, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Cincinnati. You can do the blues highway down to MS or the bourbon trail through KY. Lots of people in STL like heading out the Lake of the Ozarks in the summer time for a day/weekend.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:58 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Quote:
Several homes I have looked at have what appears to be screened in back porches. Is that what they are? Are bugs bad in the summer? Just wondering what the reason would be.
There's a fair number of screened in porches. The bugs aren't too terrible unless its a cicada year--happens every 17 years, last happened in STL a couple years ago. Pure misery for those who hate bugs (like me). Otherwise, I'd say STL is like most of the midwest where mosquitos, bees, ants, etc exist.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:24 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
Coming from Australia and having also lived in North Carolina, I can say that comparatively, bugs here aren't bad at all! I'm really not sure why so many people have screened porches. I barely notice bugs at all outside even in the summer.

You'll be fine

Old 03-27-2014, 01:57 PM

23 posts, read 25,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
......, I'd say STL is like most of the midwest where mosquitos, bees, ants, etc exist.
Probably true but lots more than the Puget Sound area! This is definitely my least favorite thing about our move. We have two dogs and didn't have a fenced yard when we moved in last summer. So every night I would have to take our dogs out and I would get new bug bites every single time until I started using repellent. I noticed this on our drive out here too, so it's not just St Louis - it's the midwest. In the NW if I went out in the woods I would get plenty of bug bites but not out in suburbia where I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis