U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,705,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxwell View Post
Hey... there is one thing I have been meaning to ask:

Several homes I have looked at have what appears to be screened in back porches. Is that what they are? Are bugs bad in the summer? Just wondering what the reason would be.

Thanks again!
Screened porches are also useful if you have indoor cats (or I suppose small dogs) that you want to let 'outside' the main house without really letting them out to run free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 06:33 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,575,157 times
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Ferguson; it's a pleasant suburb near Boeing with some nice restaurants and much closer to the city amenities than, say, St. Charles.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:27 AM

2,103 posts, read 2,038,534 times
Quote:
Hey... there is one thing I have been meaning to ask:

Several homes I have looked at have what appears to be screened in back porches. Is that what they are? Are bugs bad in the summer? Just wondering what the reason would be.

Thanks again!
I'm going to differ somewhat from my peers here and say that screened in porches are extremely nice to have to ward off mosquito bites. I don't think we are much different from any other midwestern town, but the fact is, from about April through September, most areas have mosquitos out and biting from sundown until late evening, that is assuming you live near any sort of vegetation (I guess the hardcore urban dwellers may experience things somewhat differently). I had a screened porch built onto the back of my house just last year and I kind of pulled out all the stops when I did-- it is so nice to be able to sit outside around sunset on a warm summer night and have some libations without being bitten by mosquitos.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:58 PM

22 posts, read 30,108 times
Default Libations and working out...

Okay... so here is a a couple of questions about another thing I have observed during my home search.

It seems at least 85% (if not more) of the houses I have seen online have the following:

A complete second living space in the basement with kitchen, living area, full baths and often a pool table.
A workout area/gym.
And... last, but certainly not least... a bar.

So, my question is... is drinking pretty common in St. Louis? (not that there's anything wrong with that!)
and... are these basement/living areas perhaps used often in the summer when it gets so hot... or do people just entertain much more often?

Oh... and are most people in pretty good shape? Is working out common there?

Old 03-29-2014, 02:46 PM

23 posts, read 25,417 times
Most homes that we looked at have wet bars on the main level too. We have joked about that a lot..."it's too much trouble to walk the extra 30 feet in to the kitchen?!".

Basements are my favorite thing about homes here. Nearly all homes have one because, I think, you need a place to go during tornado warnings. You are looking at a price range where the space is put to good use.

St Louis does NOT rank high on lists of fittest cities. One E.G. American Fitness Index (St Louis - 31st. Seattle ranks 8th.)
However, as a hard core fitness guy myself I can't say the difference has been noticeable to me. There are plenty of gyms and they are always busy. There are plenty of races for runners (I'm doing the Go! St Louis half marathon next weekend) as well as bike rides, triathlons, lots of tennis courts and pools, ...

Unfortunately, St Louis does rank in the top 10 for cities with the largest percentage of smokers: 30 Cities With Worst Smoking Problems, From Memphis to Honolulu - The Daily Beast
As noted earlier in this thread - you don't have to worry about it in stores and restaurants. Most of the time I don't notice it but if I am watching I do see more people in cars and walking down the street smoking cigarettes.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:54 PM

2,103 posts, read 2,038,534 times
Quote:
is drinking pretty common in St. Louis?
I plead the fifth.... of Jack Daniels But seriously, yeah, midwesterners might drink a bit more than your typical coastal resident, but not in a way you would probably notice unless you were seeking out said activity. St. Louis has only recently lost it's title of being the global headquarters of Anheuser-Busch after all, so beer drinking is often associated with being a good citizen, and there are a lot of people of European descent, especially us Catholic ones, where social drinking is part of the culture.

The city is pretty fit, however. Take a jog through Forest Park and you'll see what I mean. Out in the burbs it is less so, but that's what happens when people aren't inclined to stay active and then on top of it have to drive to get anywhere.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:33 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,814,427 times
Quote:
Okay... so here is a a couple of questions about another thing I have observed during my home search.

It seems at least 85% (if not more) of the houses I have seen online have the following:

A complete second living space in the basement with kitchen, living area, full baths and often a pool table.
A workout area/gym.
And... last, but certainly not least... a bar.

So, my question is... is drinking pretty common in St. Louis? (not that there's anything wrong with that!)
and... are these basement/living areas perhaps used often in the summer when it gets so hot... or do people just entertain much more often?

Oh... and are most people in pretty good shape? Is working out common there?
I read a study a while back that said St. Lousians drink the most per capita out of any major city. However, in recent years although we're still in the Top 10, we've scaled back a bit. But yes, St. Louisans love to drink! My basement is complete with a bar as well, but 'partying' isn't really our priority at the moment. It may have been more useful before we started having children

You're correct that the majority of houses have a basement which is at least partially finished. In a lot of areas, basements, especially those with 'walkouts' to the back yard, will significantly add to the unofficial square footage of a house, and really up your living space. People do all sorts of different things with their basements... they use them for everything from regular storage, to actual living areas.

Our neighbors, a couple of houses down, use their basement as their living room on a daily basis (it's where they have the TV, etc) and plan on converting part of it to a bedroom for their eldest child when he hits his teens. Ours has a bedroom and bathroom as well, so we actually use our basement as the guest space right now! It's got windows, so it's pleasant enough down there.

The other big plus of basements, is, even though Tornadoes aren't a huge concern to any St. Lousian, they do happen. It's definitely peace of mind being able to go down to your basement when a tornado warning comes across!

As for people being in good shape... eh it depends on the person. St. Louisans aren't in horrible shape in general, like anywhere, you'll get a mix of those who are and those who aren't. Missouri in general is considered one of the fatter states however, but I've noticed that this seems to mainly go for the areas outside of the St. Louis metro. People here seem pretty much normal

Old 03-29-2014, 05:37 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,814,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
The city is pretty fit, however. Take a jog through Forest Park and you'll see what I mean. Out in the burbs it is less so, but that's what happens when people aren't inclined to stay active and then on top of it have to drive to get anywhere.
I think in the suburbs a lot of people make a bee-line to the Gym (or perhaps have their own equipment at home), although I do often see runners out and about in my neighborhood. My husband runs and cycles and also goes to the gym, and he says our closest gym is ALWAYS pretty much packed. I think if we had a full set of weight machines, etc, he would probably work out at home, although he's still got the 'Marine Corps' mentality of wanting to go outside to run.

My excuse for not going is of course that I'm pregnant. In 2 more months I won't have that excuse though! I need to think about getting a double-jogging-stroller for the babies pretty soon!

But yes, Zach is right, Forest Park always has people out jogging and what not in fine weather, and even not so fine weather

Old 03-29-2014, 06:11 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,141,907 times
Agreed that drinking seems to be ingrained in the culture. A-B, lots of microbreweries, the wineries out west (the views are much better than the actual wine served in most cases). I never showed up to anyone's house for a social gathering without at least a bottle of wine or some beer....this was true regardless of whether there are kids around or not. Our friends bring their kids to the wineries and breweries (at appropriate times of day) and I'd say this is generally acceptable.

There was a little bit of uproar when the St Louis Archdiocese decided no more booze could be sold at kid's events:
St. Louis Archdiocese: No More Beer at Catholic Youth Events

The downside of the boozy culture: drinking & driving seems to be far too socially accepted. Its scary.

I would definitely advise a basement for tornado safety purposes. Most houses here have them.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:33 PM

22 posts, read 30,108 times
Funny stuff!! I remember when we were thinking of moving to Dallas years ago... they had wet bars in most of the houses there also. You very rarely see it here. Not to say we don't drink as much here. Maybe entertaining is not as common. I would have to say that's true. We only have friends over once in a while. Maybe it's because we can't recover as quickly as we used to in our younger days.

And basements are only common in the older part of town... so are elevators for that matter. When I was young I grew up in the North end of Tacoma and there were some huge beautiful homes in our neighborhood. Some even had ballrooms. They were all built around the 30's and 40's maybe even earlier. And I would say 3 out of 5 houses had elevators... usually those that were more than 3 stories.

Congratulations Glamatomic! Are you having twins... or is this your second baby?

We are hoping that the longer sunny weather will get us out of the house more. We really need to get in better shape. It's easy to hibernate here. :|

Well, I have heard some wonderful things and we are getting excited about moving. Right now we are just hammering out the details. Relocation packages etc.

Thanks again for all the great info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis