U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 10:45 AM

21 posts, read 28,091 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Saint Louis (the Chesterfield area) and I could use some local info please. First, when given directions, what terms do people use for the following: 70/270/ Clarkson Road/340/64/40/Olive/Manchester/Chesterfield Parkway,etc!

When driving around I got a little lost around between the streets since I am unfamiliar. In my home town, we give directions with the freeway number and direction(N/S/E/W). In STL, seems that streets have Multi-names!

Also, does anyone have info good or bad about the golf courses for the purpose of lessons for my teens in that area?

Lastly, if you know of any MUST try Italian, Chinese or Mexican food restaurants that are perhaps tucked away or wouldn't be obvious to a newcomer, please do share!

Sorry that was a jumble of info in one post.....

Thanks in advance!!
PS- I had a jilly's cupcake while visiting. OH...my....decadent and delicious!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:53 PM

272 posts, read 703,248 times
Here are some answers:
1. There are no freeways in St. Louis, only highways. Not a big deal, but people will know you're not local if you refer to the 270 freeway.

2. Highways can be referred to several ways. By their number only, e.g. "Take 44 to 141", adding "I" or "highway" (less common) e.g. "Take I-44 to 141."

3. I-64 used to be called "40" by old-timers, so you will still hear it referred to as such.

4. In general use the names of non-interstate roads unless you are at the edges of St. Louis county. Once you get into Jefferson or St. Charles counties, street names are often dropped and replaced by their state route number. For example, Gravois (pronounced "gra-voy") starts on the South Side and is known by that name until you reach Jefferson County. Then it is referred to as "30".

In short, just listen and adapt. St. Louisans are some of the friendliest and humble people around so no one will laugh at you. Unless you refer to Freeway 270 - then they might giggle.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:14 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,141,907 times
Of the ones mentioned, 64/40 is just 40 (I think this changes once you're on the IL side--I think they call it 64, but I never spend any time on the IL side :x)

340 is always just Olive.

The only other thing I can think of is that 364 is just the Page Extension. Generally, I'd say that numberings are only used as names for highways, and 141 and 94 (maybe? I think my St Charles friends say 94).

The Hill is the area of town to go for Italian (my favorite mid-priced option is Zia's, everyone has an opinion), and Cherokee Street in Benton Park is where to go for Mexican. I'm not huge on Chinese, but I'd say University City and into Olivette has the best reputation for Chinese food places. These places require a bit of a drive from Chesterfield; for more very nearby options on Italian you might try Charlie Gittos (has a location in Chesterfield in addition to the Hill). My go-to place when visiting friends in Chesterfield is Babbo's. Villa Faratto is a much more expensive version of Italian in Chesterfield; their cheaper regular Faratto's restaurant is closer to the city and pretty good.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:14 PM

JSkirwin I agree, from what I am learning, these are some of the friendliest areas I have been to, let alone lived in. I did get teased a bit by a friend for saying "Schn-UH-cks" instead of "Schn-oo-ks" and "Kayhrs Mill" not "Kirs Mill" (Kehrs mill). Don't mind being a newbie, but do want to feel like a resident.

Billiken thanks for the food info,too. Looking forward to trying out Charlie Grottos. And Olivette is not far at all, will be glad to make the drive for some good Chinese food.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:49 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,380,529 times
Interstates are just referred to by their number only. In some cities I know they would say "the" 270, but in St. Louis it's just 270. And I don't think I've ever heard anybody add a cardinal direction to any of them.

For streets names that are also city names (e.g. Clayton, Brentwood), most people will say "Clayton Road" and "Brentwood Boulevard" to indicate that they're talking about the street and not the city.

64/40: Natives say 40, transplants say 64. Some people split the difference and say 64/40. However you say it, people will know what you're talking about.

Clarkson/Olive: The Clarkson portion is Clarkson and the Olive portion is Olive. Pretty straightforward. Just don't forget that there's also an Olive Street in addition to Olive Boulevard.

141/Woods Mill: People say 141

67/Lindbergh: People say Lindbergh

Manchester is Manchester until you get out to Wildwood, and then it's 100.

Gravois: Pronounced GRAV-oy

Lemay Ferry: Pronounced LEE-may Ferry

Spoede: Pronounced SPAY-dee (no, I'm not making this up)

I know nothing about golf courses, but for Italian food The Hill is a MUST and for Mexican food there is Cherokee Street.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 AM

Spay-dee? That's funny! Thx for all the street tips and Mexican/Italian places. I LOVE Mexican food. Now if they would just open an In-n-Out in Saint Louis it would be all good!!!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 AM

42 posts, read 54,618 times
Espinos is a great Mexican restaurant in the Chesterfield valley.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:28 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,992,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC616 View Post
Spay-dee? That's funny! Thx for all the street tips and Mexican/Italian places. I LOVE Mexican food. Now if they would just open an In-n-Out in Saint Louis it would be all good!!!
Cherokee Street is by far the best place for Mexican food. If you go anywhere else be prepared from some disgusting processed queso to be poured over everything.

Driving here is a nightmare. Roads change names three times in five miles. It is just something you have to get used to. And people routinely go 15 miles under the speed limit in the "freeway" (yes I'm a transplant).

But the good parts of St. Louis are so awesome that they far outweigh the negatives. The Hill has great Italian food, but there are plenty of other places as well throughout the city. I second the poster that suggested Zia that is my favorite as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or