U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:31 PM

7,266 posts, read 5,756,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
This already got posted in the St Louis news thread, but that aside I'm glad St Louis is getting the attention it deserves.
Sorry, I guess I should start following that thread. I find those long threads though a bit tedious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I don't know. I kind of agree with the statement, but on the other hand I feel like that might be more from the county than the city itself.
A lot of people might like the fact you can get just about anywhere in 20 minutes, whether you live in the city or county.

I'd like to see more growth, but I think we need to sell what we have. We aren't Chicago, but we have a heckuva lot to offer as a metro (yes I said metro), at a much lower cost and with much easier living in terms of commutes, etc. I'd like to start to see slow but steady growth in STL and STL County.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:37 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,774,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Sorry, I guess I should start following that thread. I find those long threads though a bit tedious.

Don't sweat it, you didn't post the exact same article, so the mods won't come after you.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
A lot of people might like the fact you can get just about anywhere in 20 minutes, whether you live in the city or county.

I'd like to see more growth, but I think we need to sell what we have. We aren't Chicago, but we have a heckuva lot to offer as a metro (yes I said metro), at a much lower cost and with much easier living in terms of commutes, etc. I'd like to start to see slow but steady growth in STL and STL County.
I wholly agree, I think we should kind of strive to put our metro out there more. I think that St. Louis gets little recognition in proportion to its importance (historical and current) to the US' culture and economy. I feel we should put ourselves out there more. And I also feel we should strive to be something like a more southerly Twin Cities-after all, our metro's size is close to theirs despite having only one anchor city to their two. Their character as river cities with an industrial past and a trendy, forward-looking present is a suitable path for St. Louis to emulate (not follow, emulate-we should be like the Twin Cities, not become them and lose our unique identity).

Also, I do feel like St. Louis (the city and metro area) will see some steady growth by 2020. And I can easily see that growth becoming a strong growth, but not a reckless sun-belt growth.

This discussion kind of gives me an idea. Does St. Louis have an ambassadors program or something of the like, where people talk about St. Louis to outsiders?

Old 03-22-2014, 10:44 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,141,907 times
Quote:
This discussion kind of gives me an idea. Does St. Louis have an ambassadors program or something of the like, where people talk about St. Louis to outsiders?
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I'm an unofficial ambassador. Co-workers tell my husband he should be working for the chamber of commerce or something of that sort because he's such a huge booster of the area.

Quote:
This is a HUGE plus for me, as someone who gets to drive all over the metro area for work. A 20 minute drive gets me about 3 miles where I'm at now.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:32 AM

272 posts, read 703,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
The degree of separation thing is definitely true here, and its both good and bad. The metro is very much dominated by "locals" an firmly established social circles.
This is true just about anywhere. In New England you're considered an outsider if your family hasn't lived there since the American Revolution. Substitute the Civil War and you have the South. The only place this isn't necessarily true is southern California, DC and New York City where social circles revolve around money, looks and fame.

Any "social circle" that defines itself as such will by definition include stringent criteria to maintain exclusivity. I'm sure there is a St. Louis elite that is just as insular as any found in larger cities, but to imply that St. Louis is somehow less friendly because of that is rather odd from what I've seen in my travels around the country and the world.

Any insular traits can be explained by geography. Don't forget that it's a six hour drive from St. Louis to Chicago whereas one can make it from Washington DC, through Baltimore, Wilmington DE, Philadelphia, Newark NJ and arrive in New York City in the same time.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:02 PM

5,908 posts, read 6,578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskirwin View Post
This is true just about anywhere. In New England you're considered an outsider if your family hasn't lived there since the American Revolution. Substitute the Civil War and you have the South. The only place this isn't necessarily true is southern California, DC and New York City where social circles revolve around money, looks and fame.

Any "social circle" that defines itself as such will by definition include stringent criteria to maintain exclusivity. I'm sure there is a St. Louis elite that is just as insular as any found in larger cities, but to imply that St. Louis is somehow less friendly because of that is rather odd from what I've seen in my travels around the country and the world.

Any insular traits can be explained by geography. Don't forget that it's a six hour drive from St. Louis to Chicago whereas one can make it from Washington DC, through Baltimore, Wilmington DE, Philadelphia, Newark NJ and arrive in New York City in the same time.
That is so true.

I know in Memphis and more so Chicago. Locals tend to be very set in their ways with the neighborhood thing and home grown traditions. Memphians are serious about their religion and don't want to be challenged. If you are from outside the south east you're a yankee.

Charlotte Otoh is transient to the point of no traditions where hung on to. You get in where you fit in.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:39 PM

131 posts, read 146,361 times
Glad to read it...I'm planning on staying another year, at least, despite having grown up in the warm South. (I've noticed, though, that there seem to be an unusually large number of Atlanta-to-St. Louis transplants...but it could just be my small sample size.) If only the "man/woman upstairs" could turn the temperature up here ten or twenty degrees!

Old 03-25-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havecamerawilltravel View Post
Glad to read it...I'm planning on staying another year, at least, despite having grown up in the warm South. (I've noticed, though, that there seem to be an unusually large number of Atlanta-to-St. Louis transplants...but it could just be my small sample size.) If only the "man/woman upstairs" could turn the temperature up here ten or twenty degrees!
It has been an unseasonably cold winter.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
It has been an unseasonably cold winter.
I think that applies to everywhere, not just StL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or