U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2014, 10:12 AM
 
Location: South St. Louis City
116 posts, read 181,016 times
Reputation: 66

Advertisements

One other thing to remember is the fact that The population bases in St. Louis are VERY spread out. You have a large chunk in STL City, County, Metro East, St. Charles County, Jeff County...etc...etc... You have lots of munis, that seem like cities within a city, which makes it seem smaller. When you put it all together as one metro, it is much bigger than it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2014, 03:23 PM
 
1,710 posts, read 1,774,351 times
Reputation: 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogtownBnR View Post
One other thing to remember is the fact that The population bases in St. Louis are VERY spread out. You have a large chunk in STL City, County, Metro East, St. Charles County, Jeff County...etc...etc... You have lots of munis, that seem like cities within a city, which makes it seem smaller. When you put it all together as one metro, it is much bigger than it seems.
That's also very true. St. Louis is split up into a ton of little fiefdoms, which in turn are grouped into their own little communities, which patch up together to make the St. Louis metro area. Or at least, it feels that way. For example, you have municipalities like Chesterfield and Ballwin making up the West County community, places like Crestwood and Affton comprising South County, towns like Ferguson and Florissant forming North County, and then you've got St. Charles County, Illinois, and the city community (which largely includes inner suburbs like U City and Clayton). And then these all patch loosely together to make up the metro area. I'm not sure whether this regional division across the metro is good or bad, but I definitely feel like it's there. Anybody else notice this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 06:13 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
1,221 posts, read 2,380,529 times
Reputation: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
That's also very true. St. Louis is split up into a ton of little fiefdoms, which in turn are grouped into their own little communities, which patch up together to make the St. Louis metro area. Or at least, it feels that way. For example, you have municipalities like Chesterfield and Ballwin making up the West County community, places like Crestwood and Affton comprising South County, towns like Ferguson and Florissant forming North County, and then you've got St. Charles County, Illinois, and the city community (which largely includes inner suburbs like U City and Clayton). And then these all patch loosely together to make up the metro area. I'm not sure whether this regional division across the metro is good or bad, but I definitely feel like it's there. Anybody else notice this?
I do notice that, but that phenomenon is not unique to St. Louis. All cities have subregions and suburbs that function like independent communities. What really strikes me about St. Louis is how each City neighborhood has its own unique flavor. The Hill is a totally different vibe from the CWE, which is a totally different vibe from Soulard, and so on. I'm sure that's present to one degree or another in every city, but it seems particularly acute in St. Louis. I like it a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 06:55 PM
 
1,710 posts, read 1,774,351 times
Reputation: 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I do notice that, but that phenomenon is not unique to St. Louis. All cities have subregions and suburbs that function like independent communities. What really strikes me about St. Louis is how each City neighborhood has its own unique flavor. The Hill is a totally different vibe from the CWE, which is a totally different vibe from Soulard, and so on. I'm sure that's present to one degree or another in every city, but it seems particularly acute in St. Louis. I like it a lot.
That's definitely true. Possibly because each neighborhood would have been larger back then than a neighborhood in, say, Columbus. And this would be attributed to St. Louis' historically large population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2014, 06:09 AM
 
3,696 posts, read 2,575,157 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Does it bother anyone else that people keep saying it's a big city with a small town feel? Or that it's the biggest small town in America? I've never gotten that impression at all. If anything, I've always thought St. Louis actually has more going on than its size would suggest.
I always saw it as a reference to St. Louis having big-city amenities and small-town amiability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 04:26 AM
 
10 posts, read 14,087 times
Reputation: 11
I've lived in alot of places, including other bigger cities and smaller cities & I've traveled extensively as well. I've lived here for 8 years. I cannot really speak in much favor of it. If I could leave, I would do it fast. But, I'm stuck due to work/family. With that said, St. Louis has certain aspects that are good and bad like all other places in America but 2 things that stick out the most to me are these. The good mainly are gas prices are cheaper than the rest of America, alot of stores to shop at & lots of different food choices for dining out. The bad, listed below.

1.) The people overall are not nice. Rude drivers, disrespectful people and tail-gating is a huge problem too.
2.) Jobs are scarce, govt intrusion on businesses hurts local economies here and not alot to do.

There are some thing's to do but it's out of the way if you live in the county. With gas expensive as it is, it's not really an option to drive from one part of the county to a whole different part just to see something or even go to the city where the zoo is or something. This is more of a "personal problem", so ignore it if you want to. The city is also full of crime, which is a turn-off. The crime is also spilling out here to the areas where it was once more safer. It's only a matter of time with the way the bus system is out here and more POS scum make home values plummet more. Crime means less property value. Means higher prices on goods due to businesses having to deal with thieves. Here in Oakville, I've noticed the changes happen in the last 8 years. More crime, mostly petty crap but more semi-violent crap happening & alot of thefts and home break-in's by thugs who most likely took the bus. Old couple got jacked at their home nearby last year and they had some money, the thugs aren't stupid, they do their homework. People where I live at leave stuff in their cars and windows down & I try to keep an eye out so I warn folks that we've had more unsavory elements casing our lot at night. People kind of freak out when they hear about that since out here, and other nicer areas in STL County, folks are used to peace & not crime. Complacency is not good. South County Mall USED to be an awesome mall but now, there's alot more scum at it and I give this area another 10 years or less before things get alot worse.

I think my biggest problem here are the people. There are nice people here like all places but, boy oh boy, talk about stuck-up and rude citizens. Specifically the drivers with vehicles that cost over $40k & alot of people who drive foreign cars that are newer, alot of them seem to think they're better than others too. It's like, man, I got this and you are in my way and I'm going to tail-gate you, cut you off, cause you to run off the road, slow down in front of you to keep you from going a decent speed & all because I'm more important. I had someone tail-gate me down Telegraph a month ago as I'm on my way to work and she did it all the way until I got onto 270. She was driving a big Infinity SUV and I guess my SUV was too much in her way, even though she could've went around. It's stuff like this and other things that makes me despise this place. Good food and cheaper gas ain't enough to make me think this is a "hidden gem." Especially since other places have more to offer and nicer people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 AM
 
3,696 posts, read 2,575,157 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernNative00 View Post
The crime is also spilling out here to the areas where it was once more safer. It's only a matter of time with the way the bus system is out here and more POS scum make home values plummet more.
This is where my "racist alarm" started going off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
1,221 posts, read 2,380,529 times
Reputation: 786
There are a TON of things to do in St. Louis. Just because you live way out in Genericville, USA (Oakville) doesn't mean that St. Louis is boring. As for them being out the way, well…again, you chose to live a long way away from the attractions.

As far as the people not being friendly: You choose to remain in a part of the metro area that receives very few transplants and that is known for having cliquish, ingrained social structures. You could always move somewhere else.

As far as the crime "spilling over" from the City: What makes you so sure that the criminals are from the City? Did you check their IDs? There are a lot of homegrown criminals in the County as well, some of whom come to the City to wreak havoc on us! (see: Megan Boken murder).

Full disclosure: I'm also a transplant here and have had the exact opposite experience that you seem to have had.

Last edited by Dawn10am; 04-15-2014 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
4,009 posts, read 5,814,427 times
Reputation: 4569
SouthernNative00: I'm a strong believer in the general idea that the attitude you get out of people, is a result of the attitude you convey to them in the first place.

From the first day I moved to St. Louis 8 years ago, to the day I moved back to the area just over a year ago, I've found that 95% of residents have been nothing but friendly, welcoming and warm. My husband has experienced the same. The family and friends I've had visit from out of state and out of country, have also commented along the same lines!

If you haven't experienced this, it may be a reflection of how your personality is coming across to others. Sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
4,009 posts, read 5,814,427 times
Reputation: 4569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Full disclosure: I'm also a transplant here and have had the exact opposite experience that you seem to have had.
^^ likewise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:14 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top