U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 01:31 PM

7,266 posts, read 5,756,815 times

Advertisements

Why Huffington Post calls St. Louis a ?hidden gem? - St. Louis Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 03:18 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,774,351 times
This already got posted in the St Louis news thread, but that aside I'm glad St Louis is getting the attention it deserves.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:01 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,814,427 times
Love this! Thank you for posting!

I didn't even see it on the St. Louis News Thread (I never check there... haha...) ♥♥♥

Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,380,529 times
Does it bother anyone else that people keep saying it's a big city with a small town feel? Or that it's the biggest small town in America? I've never gotten that impression at all. If anything, I've always thought St. Louis actually has more going on than its size would suggest.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:00 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,774,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Does it bother anyone else that people keep saying it's a big city with a small town feel? Or that it's the biggest small town in America? I've never gotten that impression at all. If anything, I've always thought St. Louis actually has more going on than its size would suggest.
I don't know. I kind of agree with the statement, but on the other hand I feel like that might be more from the county than the city itself.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:53 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,380,529 times
I guess if you grew up in the burbs and have lived there your whole life and have strong family connections then I guess it could seem like St. Louis is a small town. But if you're a transplant living in the City (like me) that characterization seems pretty odd.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:11 AM

5,526 posts, read 13,403,835 times
What an eye opening article. I love the city's old architecture.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:52 AM

536 posts, read 725,989 times
Quote:
Quote:
I guess if you grew up in the burbs and have lived there your whole life and have strong family connections then I guess it could seem like St. Louis is a small town. But if you're a transplant living in the City (like me) that characterization seems pretty odd.
I have always considered St. Louis to be a big city of course, but after having spent time in much bigger places like Chicago and NYC that have a lot higher pace and more hustle and bustle I can see where that smaller town feeling opinion comes from. That's why I love St. Louis though. Big city amenities in a much more laid back environment.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:18 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,141,907 times
Quote:
I used to be bothered by this description but the longer I stuck around, the more true it seemed. The degrees of separation between everyone in town seem a lot smaller. I think that leads to the "big city w/ small town feel" description. It's harder to be anonymous in STL. I don't necessarily think its a bad thing.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:44 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,083,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
I used to be bothered by this description but the longer I stuck around, the more true it seemed. The degrees of separation between everyone in town seem a lot smaller. I think that leads to the "big city w/ small town feel" description. It's harder to be anonymous in STL. I don't necessarily think its a bad thing.

The degree of separation thing is definitely true here, and its both good and bad. The metro is very much dominated by "locals" an firmly established social circles. Residents aren't anonymous. Of the 50 largest metros in the country, St. Louis ranks:

#50 in annual inmigration from other metros (rate below 2.5% of households 05-10 avg)
#49 in annual outmigration behind Louisville (rate of 2.7% of total households 05-10 avg)
#47 in percentage of foreign born residents (at 2010 census), ahead of Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Birmingham.

The metro is uncharacteristically anchored from a social standpoint. If you were to construct an "insularity index" based upon any two of these three metrics, the eight most insular largish metros in the country, in order, would be roughly: St.Louis, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Louisville, Cleveland, Memphis, Birmingham, Cincinnati, with STL a pretty clear #1.

This is good when you're a local, or is someone who likes "knowing what you're going to get" in terms of change of pace, hustle/bustle, metro identity, etc. It's bad in terms of attracting and maintaining outsiders who might not "fit the mold" and in terms of the region embracing outside ideas.

People's mileage may vary. Locals may not see it as such if they haven't lived elsewhere. It may not be as perceptible among those whose experience is limited to the other metros I've listed. If you're a student, it doesn't really apply, because social relationship are established in academia on a much more fluid basis. If you work for a firm that contains a lot of transplants (like a medical institution or large corp) it may not either. This insularity/small town feeling won't apply as much to the city either, although in my experience, it applies more to a city neighborhood in STL compared to a similarly situated city neighborhood of a lot of other places kind of in the same metro wheelhouse (Baltimore, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Columbus, KC, just to name a few...I'd throw inner Pittsburgh in there too).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or