U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:26 PM

21 posts, read 28,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I moved to STL almost three years ago from Phoenix. While there are things I miss about Phoenix, I truly enjoy this city. A few comments regarding the OP and other posters:

Soocar, your post is just what I was hoping to read by posting my thoughts. Thank you for sharing your story. We had heard Webster Groves, Kirkwood, and Clayton are all terrific places and people's top choices to live in. And I could see us moving there later in life, but for now I am ecstatic to be headed to a lot with over an acre of land, and a feel that is probably the most similar to areas of the west.

2. As for the overall weather I would take STL to PHX every time. Here is why. In STL you get breaks from the negative weather. In the summer you may have a week straight of 95+ temps with mid 50's humidity. And then as soon as it starts to wear on you, you'll get an 82 degree day. In Phoenix when I left to move here they were at the beginning of 33 straight days of 110 or hotter. No breaks. The winter is the same way. This past winter has been the coldest since 1982 from what I've heard. Yet I went golfing in 60 degree weather on December 28th.
AMEN to number 2. In My current town we get warm (March and Dec), hot (April thru October), a mishmash of HOT and occasional cool or rain Nov-Dec, a few more days of rain, but still often shorts weather and very exciting if we have a stretch of under 60 degrees (jan-Feb). Frequent droughts, never snow, and lucky if I can pull out a cozy sweater more than a dozen times all year. Oh, and when it does rain or get cooler than 60 degrees, the whole city laments "It's sooooooo coooooold!" While we roll our eyes. Ha

5. My favorite part about living here is that it's a real city, with history, and neighborhoods that have stories. business is local. Webster has a cool downtown area and looks and lives nothing like Chesterfield.since apparently most things are within 20 minutes as the saying goes, I am looking forward to checking out all these areas-city, the web groves and Kirkwood areas, and all of the neighboring states. Nevada, CA, AZ,Utah,Oregon,etc been there and quite satisfied.

I love it hear. I do miss Phoenix as well as it was home for over 30 years.
and I got teary- eyed today driving along with the breathtaking mountains in the background. I think I may buy prints of my favorite west coast landscapes so I can take them with me to saint Louis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM

21 posts, read 28,091 times
I forgot to add something. Just an outsider's perspective, so I realize I may not know the whole picture. Regarding the "what high school" question that people ask, I have had a much different view. When it has come up, I tell them, and then immediately ask where they went. Inevitably it starts a conversation about what they loves, who they know (sometimes we find friends in common), and even more surprising, is that even as a non-resident, I am discovering a sort of six degrees of separation among people. Since I am a total people person, and curious about the schools, etc, I can usually contribute to the conversation ie. "oh, how was it going to an all girls' school" or "did your parents also go there? You must have a strong legacy at that school?"

People like to feel connected to other people. So I don't think it is as much creating a hierarchy as it is trying to find something in common.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:17 PM

276 posts, read 420,300 times
I'm a St. Louis native who lived there about 40 years (other than spending a couple summers in Chicago and in California), and now lives in Maryland near D.C.

To be honest? In my own situation, I felt like I needed a change of pace.... A job opportunity presented itself up here so I relocated the family for it. I didn't want to become one of those people who spent his whole life in the same city, and some of my best friends were slowly moving out of St. Louis anyway in recent years. Just seemed like a door of opportunity I needed to go through, before it shut.

But to anyone considering a moving TO the St. Louis area? I'd say congratulations! Unless you're the type who really thrives on the "always on, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week" culture of cities like New York City, I think you'll grow to like it.

A few comments I'd make, in general, about St. Louis life?

1. Yes, everyone there complains about the weather. But in reality? It's not THAT bad! It changes a lot, so no - it's not going to be like California. But even here in Maryland, we've had pretty comparable weather patterns to St. Louis this whole year. I can generally look at a St. Louis forecast and predict that we'll see something similar about two days later. Some St. Louis summers in late July/August get pretty brutally hot and humid -- but again, it's relative. My friend living in Las Vegas would tell you he's got it much worse out there.

2. Outsiders *constantly* refer to and remember St. Louis as "that city with the big arch". And yes, St. Louisans love the Arch. It makes the downtown skyline look really unique and makes for some great photography when light bounces off it different ways, in different settings. But really, the "westward expansion museum" underneath it, and the ride up in it are things you do once, and probably won't care to revisit for many years. There's SO much more to see and do in the city (and surrounding counties). You'll quickly find other things you personally define as "St. Louis Icons".

3. Many people (even St. Louis natives) often forget that St. Louis hosts the single largest Mardi Gras celebration outside of New Orleans, in the Soulard area, every year. The annual "Fair St. Louis" (formerly called the Veiled Prophet Fair), held downtown, every July 4th., is another really big event for the area.

4. St. Louis is very much a "who you know" city, which turns off a number of people who move there, only to be unhappy with the decision. (I understand Memphis, TN has a similar dynamic.) My opinion? It's one of those things that's only what you make of it. As you get to know people, you can use it to your advantage -- possibly even getting a better job than you ever expected, because a buddy in the right place put in a good word for you. If you just complain about your plight because you see so many people in cliques you're not part of? Well, yes -- you probably won't improve things for yourself by sitting and and observing it from a distance.

5. As others here have noted, St. Louis has a very rich history, and a lot of diversity, depending on exactly where you go. There are some very general statements I could probably make, such as "The more artsy people tend to congregate in South St. Louis City.", and "White collar businesspeople tend to prefer areas like Chesterfield." But you'll find just as many exceptions to such statements as you explore the area .... The bottom line is, you can drive that 5-10 minutes between municipalities and keep finding very different "vibes" to each one.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:49 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,141,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw71 View Post
3. Many people (even St. Louis natives) often forget that St. Louis hosts the single largest Mardi Gras celebration outside of New Orleans, in the Soulard area, every year. The annual "Fair St. Louis" (formerly called the Veiled Prophet Fair), held downtown, every July 4th., is another really big event for the area.
With regards to 3. above, I just saw yesterday that they're moving Fair St Louis to Forest Park this year, for anyone following along.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 PM

805 posts, read 1,366,047 times
Well I started telling more people about my impending move, all the people from California said "congratulations, what a great city St. Louis it". So there are people who believe that there is life after California lol.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:48 AM

529 posts, read 833,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC616 View Post
I forgot to add something. Just an outsider's perspective, so I realize I may not know the whole picture. Regarding the "what high school" question that people ask, I have had a much different view. When it has come up, I tell them, and then immediately ask where they went. Inevitably it starts a conversation about what they loves, who they know (sometimes we find friends in common), and even more surprising, is that even as a non-resident, I am discovering a sort of six degrees of separation among people. Since I am a total people person, and curious about the schools, etc, I can usually contribute to the conversation ie. "oh, how was it going to an all girls' school" or "did your parents also go there? You must have a strong legacy at that school?"

People like to feel connected to other people. So I don't think it is as much creating a hierarchy as it is trying to find something in common.
Absolutely agree with this perspective and most of the time when I have been asked what HS I attended it is followed with "do you know so-and-so?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or