U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,381,061 times

Advertisements

Somewhere with less psychotic weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 AM

3,360 posts, read 7,329,716 times
PAC NW is gorgeous, we have family there and I visited almost every summer for 5-7 years. Portland is likely more affordable than Seattle, but either would be great (if you don't mind a little rain). I like Colorado too, especially as you go West of Denver into the Rockies. I remember a pilot for Southwest who owned a home in Grand Junction that I just marveled at, secluded (no other homes in sight), foothills in the background, large pond in the front yard, and deer walking up to the front door on a regular basis...seemed like the perfect location to recharge your batteries.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:45 AM

10 posts, read 14,089 times
STL area overall is too liberal for me but I'm stuck here. But I'd go down south or to the southwest if I moved out of here again.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:14 AM

23 posts, read 25,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcrime View Post
Thanks for the reply, billiken.

Seattle is pretty overhyped to me, but it seems to have become quite popular in the last decade or so. Beautiful place with the mountains and trees, but not cheap, and I hear the traffic is god awful. I would be at Microsoft in Bellevue, and I was told there is a lot of competition for housing. I also read that it's a terrible place to make new friends, but you read that about a lot of places so who knows.

I've never been to portland either. Seems like a cool place though. I have viewed many beautiful pictures of Portland on google images. I have also been told that the weather is a lot better than Seattle, so it's in the running for sure.
I lived most of my life in the Seattle area. If you are going to work directly for Microsoft, don't worry about making friends... you won't have time for that! If you are there on contract your hours may not be so intense. Traffic and housing prices are, as you say, bad - especially around Bellevue/Redmond.
The weather in Portland isn't really that much better. A little drier, a little hotter in the summer, a little colder in the winter... but still pretty damp and pretty mild temperatures. Nevertheless, I would pick Portland. It's a pretty place, a more laid back vibe, and I enjoy having oddballs all around me.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:42 AM

171 posts, read 387,870 times
I've been to all of those cities and lived in two of those states, and the one thing you're going to face is sticker shock.

For its size, STL has some of the cheapest housing in the country. Places like Oklahoma City and Columbus are comparable; even Detroit (my hometown) is WAY more expensive.

Denver/denver metro is incredibly expensive, as are both Seattle and Portland. I have a weird feeling Tampa might be your cheapest option, believe it or not, though I've only looked into real estate in Orlando and not Tampa.

Don't know about Tampa, but otherwise, all of your options are far more liberal in their atmospheres than STL. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you, but just laying it out there. Boulder/Denver especially so.

Boulder is a big college town, so keep that in mind.

Boulder is the most land-locked of all of them, but in WA and OR, you're still looking at an hour plus (I believe) to get to the ocean. In Tampa, 20 minutes tops.

Tons of recreation areas in all of your choices, though in Tampa, you're more limited to the oceanfront.

Me personally, if money were no object my first choice off the top of my head would be Tampa, primarily because there is NO way in HELL I am going back to Colorado, or an equally cold place like WA or OR, unless I'm going home to Detroit.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 PM

69 posts, read 153,077 times
Tennessee was mentioned in this post, and I've always felt that if I had to move to another big city, it would be Nashville. St. Louis is often considered to be a 'big small town', and that's kind of how Nashville feels to me. Nice people, lots of pretty parks and greenspace, etc. The cities definitely have two distinct vibes but just my two cents.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:31 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,774,865 times
If I had to move, I'd go to a city with a similar feel-river town with lots of history and brick buildings. So probably Cincinnati, Louisville, or Pittsburgh.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:39 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Seriously love Pittsburgh. Thought about moving there since it's much closer to my husband's family.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:09 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,654,961 times
Seattle without question. Wouldn't even consider the other options.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:17 PM

7,810 posts, read 5,408,804 times
It would probably be somewhere in New Mexico or Arizona.
There's gold in those mountains and I want it.
When it comes to gold, nobody messes with Fred C.Dobbs if they know what's good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or