U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 02:04 PM

7 posts, read 9,230 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, love St. Louis, and I will be back at some point, but I am really wanting to get away for a couple of years. No offense to my cousin who is also a member here, and recommended this board, but I need a break from my family. So I put out a few feeler resumes, and immediately got bites in ...

Boulder, Colorado
Tampa, Florida
Portland, Oregon
*Seattle - Is on the way back burner.

I was just kind of wondering as people that love St. Louis, which of these cities might interest you? Or do any of you have any experience with these places? Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 02:33 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Lived in STL for 7 years and moved to Denver--I don't live in Boulder, but I'm familiar enough. The thing that shocked me most is that Boulder is even more expensive than Denver, even though its a smaller town vs. Denver which is a fairly large city....and of course, Denver is more expensive than STL. If you love the outdoors, Boulder/Denver is a great place to be. Traffic is much heavier in this area. From a money standpoint, the things I notice the most are the higher housing costs, cultural stuff is higher cost (festivals, concerts, etc), and higher gas costs. The beer scene is pretty great if you're into that. The dryness is hard to adapt to for some people (dry skin, dry eyes, etc) and others love it (low humidity in the summer). Lots of sunshine, which is nice. Lots of transplants. I don't hate the area, but I'm moving back to STL this year (I was similar to you where I just wanted to do something new for a few years).

I've been to Seattle and I like it a lot, but the cost of living there drives me away from ever considering a relocation there.

I spent about 3 months straight working in Tampa and was not the biggest fan. The seafood and ocean are nice, but other than that I found it kind of "blah."

Haven't been to Portland yet.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:25 PM

7,329 posts, read 17,654,393 times
I live in NM and am moving back to St. Louis area as well.
I've been to or lived in a lot of places. I agree with Billiken on Tampa. Other than the ocean, blah.
I spent a lot of years in Colorado Springs but that was back in the 70's and I hear things have changed quite a bit. At one point, I wanted to move back a few years ago but the whole area around there seemed to be a lot more pricey.
I don't know anything about Portland and Seattle is a fun place to visit but not sure I'd want to live there.

Have you considered places like Tennessee and Texas? Nice states to live in and affordable.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the reply, billiken.

Interesting to hear about the dry skin issue in Colorado. I had never heard of that. I have dry skin issues in humid St. Louis; I'd probably crumble up there But yeah I am definitely interested in the outdoor activities there, and especially being closer to ski slopes.

I get what you are saying about Tampa. Honestly, to me most of the cities I have been to in Florida didn't really have a whole lot of character (St. Augustine, being an exception). The gulf coast is really nice though. I prefer it to the atlantic side for sure.

Seattle is pretty overhyped to me, but it seems to have become quite popular in the last decade or so. Beautiful place with the mountains and trees, but not cheap, and I hear the traffic is god awful. I would be at Microsoft in Bellevue, and I was told there is a lot of competition for housing. I also read that it's a terrible place to make new friends, but you read that about a lot of places so who knows.

I've never been to portland either. Seems like a cool place though. I have viewed many beautiful pictures of Portland on google images. I have also been told that the weather is a lot better than Seattle, so it's in the running for sure.

Lots of things to think about.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2014, 05:35 PM

Thanks songinthewind7.

I have not considered Tennessee as I really don't know much about it. I passed through Nashville in maybe 1999, and that is about the extent of what I know.

I have certainly thought about Texas. I know it's growing by leaps and bounds, but I just haven't seen quite the right opportunity that I am looking for yet. I am still researching so who knows what i'll find. I do have a cousin that moved to Austin 10 years ago maybe. She never came back. She loves it there.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your help.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:40 PM

2,104 posts, read 2,040,177 times
Of those I would probably go with Portland. I feel like the town is past it's prime for sure - it was much more interesting before it was discovered and overrun by cool seekers, but it still boasts some of the best natural beauty and scenery of any major city in the US, imo. Seattle is nice too, but it was past its prime 20-30 years before Portland. I don't care for Tampa personally - too hot, too humid, too often, lousy traffic for a city it's size, sprawly. Never been to Boulder-- I hear it is awesome but extremely pricey.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:49 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcrime View Post
Interesting to hear about the dry skin issue in Colorado. I had never heard of that. I have dry skin issues in humid St. Louis; I'd probably crumble up there But yeah I am definitely interested in the outdoor activities there, and especially being closer to ski slopes.
I've always had very dry skin. Even with good moisturizer, my legs are still reptile-like in the winter. They're so dry they bleed sometimes (part of this is being female and the shaving irritating everything). There are plenty of threads in the Denver section here about the dryness.

The skiing was probably the most enticing thing about my Denver move. I bought a season pass my 1st year here and really enjoyed the actual skiing part--I would just warn you that its further than you think, especially with traffic. They're doing a lot of construction work on the highway 70, which you pretty much have to take to get to the resorts. I do think its a great place to "do something different" for a few years without completely blowing the budget.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
Out of those options, definitely Seattle or Portland would be my picks, if I couldn't stay in St. Louis for some reason. ♥

Old 04-03-2014, 06:36 PM

...More sirens!... From the basement ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
....I do think its a great place to "do something different" for a few years without completely blowing the budget.
That's really all I am looking for. I am not even planning on selling my house in St. Louis. Actually, I am hoping to rent it to a family member or friend so I can stay in my own house when I come home for holidays, and what not. That would be ideal.

I just really need some distance from my mom for a while. That's a terrible thing for a son to say, but I am a grown man, and I have one of those moms that still thinks you are a little kid. She is in every square inch of my business, and I need some space before I choke her out at Thanksgiving dinner or something like that.

(Kidding! of course )

Thanks everyone. You guys rock!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:07 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
As my husband puts it, you need a 'six state buffer zone'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or