U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:24 AM

7,329 posts, read 17,655,396 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the area also when we sell here in NM.
I have lived in Tn. and Tx. Mo. seems to be a combination of both.

Thanks glamatomic for clearing that up about basements and the sq footage. I was wondering about that myself, why the basements weren't counted as sq footage.

I don't know how big of an issue this actually is but some of the houses we've looked at online seem to be low in price, not just one, but several. It didn't seem right. I found an agent I could ask questions to and it's because of the high risk flood plain. Seems at least SW and SE Mo. are in the flood zone so you might want to watch out for that as well, when considering the amount of your mortgage.

I found this adorable cottage type house with a river in front. Even though the house has been standing 60 years and it's on a hill, it's still high risk flood plain. The quote was 11,000 yearly for flood insurance.

I didn't mean to make this about the flood plain but as you're looking, be aware of that too. High risk by the water and low to mod risk with no water around. There's a place on floodsmart.gov that gives information and also a place where you can type in an address and it tells at what risk it is.
I don't know exactly how accurate it is.....I typed in my address here in NM where it's as dry as a bone. No rivers, no lakes.....and it came up low to mod risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 04:15 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
Great advice! I utilized Floodsmart heavily when we were house hunting. I think it's fairly accurate. I believe low-mod risk is the lowest the scale goes, I don't think there is a no-risk option given, but I could be wrong

Flooding is definitely a consideration here but there are plenty of affordable options outside flood zones.

The areas I personally wouldn't consider are parts of the Chesterfield Valley that were under water during the flood of 93, and New Town St. Charles. These low lying areas weren't developed back in 93 but flooded heavily if you look at flood maps of the time. There have been improvements to the levees since, but if levees fail as they did in 93, there's a pretty good chance those areas would flood again.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:48 AM

59 posts, read 71,819 times
Thank you for the information on the flood plain. I will have to investigate that further. Will it be listed on an MLS sheet or is that something I will need to investigate on my own. Is the Maryland Heights area okay?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:24 AM

Maryland Heights is perfectly fine Where all the housing is, is 'up' in the bluffs.

As far as I know, it isn't listed in the MLS but you can go onto floodsmart.gov and type in the address and it will give you a basic risk assessment.

Creve Coeur and Maryland Heights areas though you wouldn't have a problem

Old 04-07-2014, 06:58 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,576,073 times
Also, if you like Fuzzy's Tacos, they just opened up a couple in the area.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Location: inside, where it is warm or cool depending on the season
117 posts, read 122,296 times
Question can he find a new job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTN96 View Post
Thank you for the information on the flood plain. I will have to investigate that further. Will it be listed on an MLS sheet or is that something I will need to investigate on my own. Is the Maryland Heights area okay?
I lived in MO and STL for many many years. There are some great kid/family things in STL. But on a whole it is depressing, decaying and totally different than Texas.

Avoid Maryland Heights. It seems to attract tornadoes. If you can find a house in Creve Coeur area but inside 270 your hubby can easily commute up lindberg to work. There are million dollar homes and 300,000 dollar homes a few street over, just keep looking. Also keep looking south along lindberg. many people like brentwood.

Taxes are higher in Missouri. MO's property tax is slightly lower BUT when you combine income tax it is higher. On the plus side there aren't any toll roads (like Dallas/Austin). Also there is an extra city tax if you live or work in the city of St Louis.

The weather in STL generally, is bad. There are usually a few nice weeks in spring and a few in summer. Other than that, cold rules the winter and humidity rules the summer (except last year - global cooling would be a boon to STL summers).

Allergies aren't good in Texas but can be worse in STL. STL is at the confluence of several rivers. The MO and Mississippi up north and the Meramac and Mississippi down south and probably others too. My working theory is that once the weather warms up combined with these huge rivers the mold count rockets up and the needle stays pegged until mid-fall when the temps cool down. If you like growing mold specimens then STL is a wonderful place to experiment (again global cooling would be a boon to STL mold growth).

STL basements are known for brown recluse spiders (I've never seen one - or maybe just one but be careful) but last I checked fire ants are still a Texan specialty.

We still have wonderful friends in STL and if you get around you'll meet some nice people. HOWEVER there is this weird inbreeding thing when they ask "what high school did you go to?" Some ask that question so they can judge you and put you into a category - rich/poor/middle class, smart/dumb, influential/useless, connected/a nobody, and so on. I'm convinced it is the 'biggest small city' in the US except it isn't a small city but many business people/owners still act and think like it is.

San Antonio ranks pretty high for theft but STL ranks high for murder. Chew on that. It does impact the morale of the city in ways that only objective outside eyes can sense and it is unfortunate.

They say the water is so great in st louis and I say filter it. taste wise it is better than texas water but seriously all water needs filtration. Yes some of my dear friends in STL honor and nearly worship little tidbits, like the clean water story, from STL's glorious past. That tells me it is a city of the past and not of the future.

You can make a decent life in STL. Although the job market is horrible there are still jobs. Be aware of the public schools and the bussing of city kids out to county schools. I don't know if or how much that is still going on. STL city ran their schools into the ground.

Speaking of flood plains....there is some confusion. For example in New Town at St. Charles they are not required to have flood insurance but others have said the area was once flooded. So add that to extra STL costs. Recently I saw a TV spot for 'the changing world's weather' and it was asking how can all these houses be ruined by massive storms and massive flooding without the monster of global warming?? I thought DUH that's because we build near rivers and beaches!! STL metro area has lots of levees holding back water from lots of development - such as the chesterfield valley. If/when that areas floods I bet people will blame global warming instead of the stupid decision to build in a flood plain. If you live along lindberg flooding shouldn't ever be a problem. If it is we all have bigger problems...

Just be aware of all these little nuances to make the kind of life that fits your family.

Last edited by sanantoniomike; 04-07-2014 at 11:20 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 01:25 PM

If you look at tornado paths, historically the places most hit are in North County. Maryland Heights has suffered badly a couple of times over the last half century but is no more prone to tornadoes than any other part of the STL region.

Also, being 'outside' 270 in my opinion is often more desirable than being in between 270 and 170, for the Creve Coeur and Maryland Heights areas at least.

As for St. Louis being 'depressing' that is wholly subjective and a matter of opinion. I love it here and chose to move back here. It's my happy place

Old 04-07-2014, 01:26 PM

P.S it's spelled Lindbergh.

As for other districts bussing, I don't believe Pattonville (Maryland Heights) or Parkway (southern part of Maryland Heights and Creve Coeur) have any students bussed in from other districts, at least I haven't heard about it. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

St. Louis City schools got their accreditation back, but are still ranked poorly. The two school districts which bus students are Riverview and Normandy, both of which are unaccredited. I believe they bus over to St. Charles and South County.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:51 PM

59 posts, read 71,819 times
What is the typical school year? In Texas we go until June 7 and start back around August 26.

I should also mention that we are really from Tennessee and we have lived in Evansville, IN and Louisville KY. We are pretty adaptable people and don't really think this will be our forever move. 2-4 years.

Mindi

Old 04-07-2014, 02:18 PM

The last day of school is in the last week of May, usually, and school starts back the second or third week of August, so it sounds like we end a week earlier but start a week earlier as well

Also, if you enjoyed Louisville I think you'll enjoy St. Louis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or