Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 AM

48 posts, read 76,252 times

Advertisements

Hi-we are also moving from TX to STL this summer. We used to live in STL from 2000-2008 so we at least know what areas we are interested in. I think if you want to live close to the aiport, then Creve Coeur sounds like it would be a good fit-good neighborhoods, good schools, your price range-variety of houses. Brentwood might be another option-easy trip to the airport up 170, but the houses are older and smaller than Creve Coeur.

It is definitely a sellers market-from what we've found-but we are looking in Ladue, Clayton, Brentwood and Webster. The good stuff goes fast!

I think you'll find the summers to be shorter and less hot, but more humid. So much more humid. But you'll get a real spring and fall which is nice. I think the taxes are higher in MO-income taxes plus personal property taxes ends up being more than just property tax in TX-in my experience.

STL definitely has more culture and non-chain restaurants than SA-but maybe less so than DFW, depending on where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 PM

59 posts, read 81,469 times
It's official. My hubby will be in St. Louis Wednesday and I am flying up this weekend to house hunt. Last move I was dragging my feet as I didn't want to leave family, friends and work. This time I am much more ready to get the show on the road!

Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 5,588 times
We live in the Ladue area, only 15 to 20 min from Airport. The schools are fantastic and a great place to live. It is a little on the high side of real-estate costs for some, depending on what you are willing to spend. Kirkwood is just a few minutes further and is also a great area for kids schools. All in all these areas are good, because they are very central. Coming from Texas you might also like Chesterfield. I have been to Dallas a few times and it may be a fit, however I have found the Ladue area really nice. I moved from Philadelphia about 15 years ago.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM

446 posts, read 485,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTN96 View Post
We don't really need a ground floor master as my husband wants the master for us but we need a ground floor guest bedroom with a full bath for my mother. It doesn't matter which level the master is on as long as she has a bedroom that doesn't involve stairs. We have touched base with a realtor and she was able to pull several that have a guest bedroom on the main level!

I so appreciate all the input and I will keep you posted as we get started house hunting.
So my house, and many other houses in St. Louis, has a furnished basement with a bedroom and a full bath, guess what? THAT'S where the guest sleeps. Privacy of a full floor and personal restroom - can't get any better than that for hospitality.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:54 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
So my house, and many other houses in St. Louis, has a furnished basement with a bedroom and a full bath, guess what? THAT'S where the guest sleeps. Privacy of a full floor and personal restroom - can't get any better than that for hospitality.
If it's a walkout basement, elderly relatives can use it without taking the stairs. They can just go outside and roll down the hill to the exterior basement door!

Old 04-22-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
If it's a walkout basement, elderly relatives can use it without taking the stairs. They can just go outside and roll down the hill to the exterior basement door!
Actually no. If your decision of buying a house is influenced by having an elderly relative with mobility difficulties then u should be open to the idea of spending another couple of thousands to get one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQkuGUjnSh4

Old 04-23-2014, 06:18 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times
True that Missouri property taxes are less than those of Texas. However, if I am rightly informed, Texas has no income tax which Missouri has. How much difference does that make?

Old 04-23-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
True that Missouri property taxes are less than those of Texas. However, if I am rightly informed, Texas has no income tax which Missouri has. How much difference does that make?
My sister lives in Houston and we did a rough math on this. There isn't much of a difference. They want your money and they will get you one way or the other.

Living in Austin; however, is on an average more expansive than in St. Louis.

I guess taxes wise, the cheapest state is Oklahoma while the most expensive states are Hawaii, CT, NJ, NY etc

Old 04-23-2014, 11:22 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
According to this, Missouri is the 4th cheapest state in the nation to live in, so I think we've got it pretty good!

The 8 Least Expensive States to Live in the U.S.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
We seem to stay in the lower third of states in terms of low tax burdens

States with the highest and lowest tax burdens
Annual State-Local Tax Burden Ranking FY 2011 | Tax Foundation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis