Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 08:15 PM

5 posts, read 7,483 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone -- please forgive my longish rant, but I'm looking for some diverse opinions that might give me some different perspectives on my situation.

Almost a year ago, I posted this question: //www.city-data.com/forum/st-lo...tl-help-3.html

Long story short: I'm a young professional and not a student, and moved from a small town north of Milwaukee. I've lived other places around the country, but was planning on calling Wisconsin home, until this job was offered to me. I took the job and moved to the Central West End.

To continue my story from where my original post left off (which I recently re-read all the replies - thanks everyone!) I found a very reasonable apartment in the CWE. I wish I had looked a little harder at it when I toured it, or considered the mentality of the landlord, who did not clean the place when I moved in. There was dirt in the bathtub, scuffs and black rings in the toilet (which took 3 washes w/ a brush to clean - could have been easily done), handprints on the walls, murderer-inspired basement, fridge dirty, grease spatters on the stove, drawers were sticky to the touch... the worst part (in my mind) is the bathroom and kitchen linoleum is stained and gouged. Showing the landlord pictures and questioning him gave me the answer of : "You get what you pay for." I could go on and on about the bizarre things that have happened with him and his complete lack of professionalism, but I digress. It's a shame, really, because the rest of the place is cute and has potential, but I cringe every time I go into my bathroom or kitchen.

There are bonuses: The area is nice and central to Euclid and Forest Park and I generally feel safe here.

My lease is coming up, and in my excitement I started browsing for apartment ads and went and checked some out in various areas that I've learned about while here. Is it just because of my price range (600-800), or common in city areas, to have sub-par standards? I.e.- cracks in the walls, awful paint jobs, broken blinds... ?? I feel like I am struggling finding something reasonable yet well cared for and not beyond expectations (I don't NEED granite countertops, I just want a structurally sound, peaceful, and clean building!!!).

All in all, this experience has also sort of soured me against St. Louis. I don't WANT to feel this way, either. I love the variety of activities here and everything I enjoy doing is in the city (as well as my job) so I'd hate to move out further. But the "grungy" factor is hard for me to swallow. It's one thing to take pride in the vintage architecture, another to let it go to ruin and call it "vintage". (Also, what's with all the trash rolling around in teh street? That does nothing to help bolster this place. )

I'm also afraid of winding up in an un-safe area for the potential of a better apartment. Right now I feel pretty safe to walk around late into the evening... and the proximity of Forest Park is nice. Tower Grove on the other hand, seems like a place I would enjoy living, yet when I go down there sometimes I don't feel comfortable. Having a VERY walkable environment is important for me, so I'm trying to shy away from places that give off a strange vibe, because chances are that I will want to walk around there on the weekends and possibly even after dusk (gasp). I guess I'm not really understanding the "it varies street-by-street" issue...

And I'm also tired of students. I'd like to live in an area where all the apartments haven't been beat up by students who have no clue how to care for things. Yet please dont' suggest Chesterfield or some place like that... I HATE suburban sprawl with the burning passion of hell!

So far I've been looking in recommended spots: Clayton/Demun, Tower Grove, Maplewood, St. Louis Hills, Shaw. Apart from the tiny overpriced strip of Clayton/Demun, these places tend to feel shabby or overblown to me and hardly "walkable", except maybe Maplewood's downtown strip and Tower Grove's shops on Grand ... maybe I just don't know where to look.

Please, feel free to (verbally) smack me. Yes, I'm from a dinky small touristy town and am not used to city life. I know no where is "safe" and I'm not expecting that - and I'm not expecting to replicate where I was living, either.

Maybe if you got through all this you can give me suggestions or tell me to buck up. Should I stay where I am and deal with the apartment I have now, because I'm semi-comfortable with it, although my landlord makes me angry? (The next person will get it much cleaner than I did.) Should I take a gamble and move? Should I consider the county? ...Illinois? (Nah I'm not that desperate )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 09:47 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,274 times
How important is it that you be able to walk to ALL of your daily needs? Assuming that you have a car and are willing to sacrifice some walkability, you'd be able to expand your search outside of the CWE and Tower Grove. Maplewood, DeMun, and Shaw ARE walkable, just not comprehensively walkable.

That being said, I think your issue is with your particular building/landlord, not St. Louis real estate. I lived in an inexpensive, vintage building in the CWE for two years that was clean, well-maintained, and the management was friendly and responsive to requests.

If your apartment is dinky and you hate your landlord then I think you should move. Just be sure to spend plenty of time educating yourself on the market (via Zillow, Craigslist, etc.) and closely inspecting each property when you tour. You've also arguably got a leg up this time around since you already live here and can spend more time hanging out in these neighborhoods first before you commit.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:06 PM

5 posts, read 7,483 times
I had to come back and apologize because I wrote that in the heat of my irritation. I'm trying to stay positive and enjoy my time here in the city. I'm sure I sounded pretty whiny.

You're right, Dawn10am, it really is my landlord. I don't understand his logic. But you are also right in the fact that I have an advantage in being able to check out the neighborhoods. (By the way... where was this building you lived in? Hah!)

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:10 PM

7 posts, read 7,353 times
I'm apartment-hunting right now too, and trying to avoid the very problems you are finding. My price range is about the same (except for a 2 bedroom because I don't want to have to pay all my rent myself), and I feel like it's going to be a risky venture. I'm also doing this long-distance from northern MN, so that's adding a lovely atmosphere of mystery to the whole thing.

I am mostly focussing on Tower Grove South, just because it has a lot within walking distance, and a metro link stop. I'm a grad student, so not really interested in living under a pile of newly minted 21-year-olds who will party all over my old-lady lifestyle, and I've heard that TGS has more of the population I'm looking for.

...I realize this post is not really very helpful, but I guess I just wanted to commiserate. I hope you do move; I think you'll be happier. And I wish you the best of luck. If you come across any interesting or awful places, feel free to post a warning here...

Also I *love* your username.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:20 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_schultz View Post
I'm apartment-hunting right now too, and trying to avoid the very problems you are finding. My price range is about the same (except for a 2 bedroom because I don't want to have to pay all my rent myself), and I feel like it's going to be a risky venture. I'm also doing this long-distance from northern MN, so that's adding a lovely atmosphere of mystery to the whole thing.

I am mostly focussing on Tower Grove South, just because it has a lot within walking distance, and a metro link stop. I'm a grad student, so not really interested in living under a pile of newly minted 21-year-olds who will party all over my old-lady lifestyle, and I've heard that TGS has more of the population I'm looking for.

...I realize this post is not really very helpful, but I guess I just wanted to commiserate. I hope you do move; I think you'll be happier. And I wish you the best of luck. If you come across any interesting or awful places, feel free to post a warning here...

Also I *love* your username.
Just be aware that the MetroLink stop is not actually in TGS, but about 2 miles up Grand from Grand/Arsenal. You'd likely need to connect with the #70 Grand bus to get to the station.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:29 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
There is nothing wrong with Illinois and you can catch the Metro Link as far out as Belleville. The cost of living is a bit less than in the area you currently live and you still have access to everything you like in and around St. Louis.

As far as the landlord and maintenance goes that situation will not change anytime soon.
The gouges in the linoleum can be covered with an area rug at minimal cost to you and you take it with you when you go.
I live in a home that was built over 100 years ago that originally had no indoor plumbing of any kind.
Through the years it has been remodeled however, the floor plan is not the best and the tub, bathroom sink, toilet and kitchen sink are the original pieces to the home. There is only so much cleaning one can do before you just have to accept the fact it is always going to look dingy no matter how clean you know it is.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:17 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,489 times
Have you looked Downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis