U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 09:30 AM

48 posts, read 69,419 times

Advertisements

Hi-we are relocating to St Louis this summer and are having a really hard time finding a house. We are looking in the following school districts (in no particular order): Ladue, Clayton, Brentwood and Webster. We would like a 4+ bedroom house, 2+ baths, not on a busy street. We have been looking with an agent for almost 2 months. Things move so fast once they are listed, regardless of condition, that we've missed out on some because we aren't local yet. We've heard that a lot is selling before it hits the market via word of mouth,so if you know anyone selling a house that meets these criteria, please let me know.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 12:40 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
We started looking in January for a 3/2 and I also found that things that are priced well are moving pretty fast, at least in mid-county and south city. We made 2 trips to look at houses, and my husband was also working locally for a few weeks which helped. We finally found a place (whooo!) but most places we liked were under contract within a week. In other words...I feel your pain, but you'll find something! What's the budget?

Old 04-11-2014, 02:37 PM

2,104 posts, read 2,040,177 times
I live in Ladue, Reed elementary district and I can tell you things have been moving very quickly this last few months - there seems to be a lot of pent up demand and very low inventory. It is hard when you are just visiting every couple of weeks. Keep looking where you are looking - don't take something you don't like. Something good will turn up.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:36 PM

59 posts, read 71,819 times
We too will soon be joining the house hunt. I am hoping our house sells as quickly as it seems things in St. Louis are selling.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:35 AM

48 posts, read 69,419 times
Budget is up to $800k (crazy) but we could go a bit higher if need be. We are seeing two scenarios-either things sell before they even go on the market (word of mouth) or the sellers get tons of contracts after being on the market for a day and a bidding war happens. It's nuts. There is literally one house in Clayton under $1M with four bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. ONE. I hate to compromise on # of bedrooms when we are spending that much money but I don't know what else to do. If you hear of anything, please DM me. Seriously. We sold our house here and have to be out June 9! Yikes.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:00 PM

Yeah, not much in Clayton right now but there are 17 active listings in Brentwood/WG right now that are 4/2 with over 2,500 sqft between $300-800k. A lot of these are homes to be custom built though (particularly in Brentwood) and it doesn't sound like you have the time for that.

Also, your options nearly double if you include Kirkwood. I only mention that because most people who are looking in the above mentioned areas typically also at least consider Kirkwood.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:08 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,576,073 times
You can get some really nice homes in Kirkwood near the park or Downtown Kirkwood for that kind of money. It's pretty similar to Ladue or Webster Groves, a little further from the city but the neighborhood is very nice and the schools are good.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:19 PM

446 posts, read 417,554 times
Did you check, 9847 Litzsinger Rd Saint Louis MO 63124 ?
lol jk

I am keeping an eye on
40 Auburndale Dr Creve Coeur MO 63141

and day dreaming to make the move when it hits 800K.

But yeah, in all seriousness, the market has gone crazy. There are speculations that we are entering into another bubble.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:48 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,576,073 times
There was a long period of time where we weren't building houses, even though the population was growing. So the excess of supply we had when the bubble popped was wrung out several times over, leaving a shortage that has been masked by people's inability to afford the kind of housing they want. We're probably just seeing the economy recover and people rediscovering their natural demand for housing, and construction can't keep up.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 AM

Things are interesting in the city. There's some new construction, but it's priced a lot higher than existing properties. Therefore the existing homes (especially those that are renovated) are flying and new construction sits a bit longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or