U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-11-2014, 05:29 PM
 
992 posts, read 965,036 times
Reputation: 838

Advertisements

I am a Missouri-licensed CPA currently living in Overland Park, KS and have a couple of job interviews in StL. We are looking at relocating at other places as well (Philly, DC, NY) but StL would be a "path-of-least resistance" option because I wouldn't have to convert my license to practice and the move would be a piece of cake. I recently spent 4 days in the area and had a lot of fun. Here's what we are looking for:

1) We don't have children and don't plan to. We are in our mid-thirties and enjoy a robust nightlife. When I was last in StL I spent time at the new Ballpark Village, went to a cool pizza and jazz bar near the Scottrade Center (I went with a friend to see a Blues game), spent some time at LaClede's landing, etc. Looking for laid-back wine bars, but not club-music or house-music nightclubs. I spent hours at the Broadway Oyster Bar because the food, drinks, and music were amazing.

2) Don't mind commuting by car, but on the weekends would like to forego driving for taking the Metro line into the city to walk, shop, etc. So I am looking for something relatively close to a Metro stop.

3) Jobs I am looking at are in Clayton as well as downtown...which would make the proximity to Metro even more great. I really like the Delmar Loop.

4) Looking for apartments (to start) that have a pool, patio, 2 bedrooms, and are a bit upscale and not college-student residences in reasonably walk-able neighborhoods. It doesn't have to be crazy luxurious, just nice. At some point we would look for a condo if we planned to stay there long term. We would keep our car so parking would also be a consideration. Budget about $1600 per month.

5) I am a professional-level jazz pianist with 30 years of playing experience looking to play music as a side job. How's the jazz scene for serious musicians?

Any neighborhood recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2014, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis, MO
1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Reputation: 910
Hello from a fellow CPA

Love the Oyster Bar. There are so many great laid back sort of bars in STL.

In addition to the Loop, I'd recommend the Central West End (lots going on, more upscale hang outs, close to MetroLink). I really like the diversity and up and coming feel of Tower Grove South too, but its further from the MetroLink. I also really enjoyed living in southern University City on the U-City/Clayton border. I was in between two metro stops, I could walk to downtown Clayton, and I was right by Forest Park. All of these areas have good highway access if you travel all over for work. All these are very different from Overland Park, though, at least from what I've seen of OP.

I know an odd number of musicians in STL, most of them doing it on the side. Other than that, I don't know much.

There seem to be a ton of CPA job openings right now in STL--I just got a list of 30 options from a single recruiter the other day. As I'm sure you've figured out though, the nice thing about being a CPA is you can pretty much live anywhere, which is nice. I could never handle the crazy traffic and commuting in larger cities as someone who visits clients all over the place, which is why I ultimately have never practiced in Chicago, NY, or Philly (all places I've considered).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 06:51 PM
 
3,696 posts, read 2,576,073 times
Reputation: 2944
It sounds like you should be living in the city.

If you're browsing neighborhoods, I'd check out Groth's neighborhood blog for detailed descriptions/history/pictures of basically every neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
Reputation: 4569
Billiken has given great advice!

For what you're looking for, I would focus on the CWE, Clayton, University City, and possibly even take a look at some of the Lofts along Washington Ave and surrounds downtown.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2014, 08:20 AM
 
2,104 posts, read 2,040,177 times
Reputation: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I am a professional-level jazz pianist with 30 years of playing experience looking to play music as a side job. How's the jazz scene for serious musicians?
Peter Martin plays regularly at Jazz at the Bistro, which is a fantastic venue drawing top talent; he also plays at the Sheldon Concert Hall often (not to mention Radio City and other famous out-of-town venues). He chooses to live in University City as you'll hear him state proudly on NPR. There are several small music venues in the Loop which host local jazz bands. I miss the Delmar Lounge, used to head up there on warm summer nights to watch live jazz and mingle with friendly patrons. You would find a good jazz scene here. Also WSIU-E 88.7 is one of the best jazz stations I have ever been fortunate enough to dial into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2014, 01:06 PM
 
285 posts, read 288,592 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
It sounds like you should be living in the city.

If you're browsing neighborhoods, I'd check out Groth's neighborhood blog for detailed descriptions/history/pictures of basically every neighborhood.
I second this website. We were able to do tons of great reading up and exploring before we came out in person to find a place to live.

One thing to remember about StL neighborhoods is that they're truly neighborhoods and not large swaths of the city. you can go from one to another almost without trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 12:52 PM
 
359 posts, read 526,695 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I am a Missouri-licensed CPA currently living in Overland Park, KS and have a couple of job interviews in StL. We are looking at relocating at other places as well (Philly, DC, NY) but StL would be a "path-of-least resistance" option because I wouldn't have to convert my license to practice and the move would be a piece of cake. I recently spent 4 days in the area and had a lot of fun. Here's what we are looking for:

1) We don't have children and don't plan to. We are in our mid-thirties and enjoy a robust nightlife. When I was last in StL I spent time at the new Ballpark Village, went to a cool pizza and jazz bar near the Scottrade Center (I went with a friend to see a Blues game), spent some time at LaClede's landing, etc. Looking for laid-back wine bars, but not club-music or house-music nightclubs. I spent hours at the Broadway Oyster Bar because the food, drinks, and music were amazing.

2) Don't mind commuting by car, but on the weekends would like to forego driving for taking the Metro line into the city to walk, shop, etc. So I am looking for something relatively close to a Metro stop.

3) Jobs I am looking at are in Clayton as well as downtown...which would make the proximity to Metro even more great. I really like the Delmar Loop.

4) Looking for apartments (to start) that have a pool, patio, 2 bedrooms, and are a bit upscale and not college-student residences in reasonably walk-able neighborhoods. It doesn't have to be crazy luxurious, just nice. At some point we would look for a condo if we planned to stay there long term. We would keep our car so parking would also be a consideration. Budget about $1600 per month.

5) I am a professional-level jazz pianist with 30 years of playing experience looking to play music as a side job. How's the jazz scene for serious musicians?

Any neighborhood recommendations?
It sounds like you would like the Central West End - Highly walkable, 12 minute Metro ride to downtown or to Clayton - 1600 a month will get you a nice apartment - Euclid avenue has as much if not more street activity as Delmar - but it is, for lack of a better phrase, "more adult" - there are still students in the Central West End - but they are grad school and med school - Take a weekend and stay at the Chase Park Plaza - walk around the neighborhood - I think it is what you are looking for -

As for Jazz - Jazz St Louis and the Jazz club are great places to start -

Jazz St Louis operates Jazz at the Bistro about a 10 minute drive from the heart of the CWE - nice venue - gets good touring acts -

St. Louis Jazz Club

Jazz St. Louis - Performance | Education | Outreach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 07:27 PM
 
Location: St Louis
1,117 posts, read 2,654,961 times
Reputation: 363
I would recommend downtown close or on Washington Ave. lots if nightlife and close to other districts that have live music and nightlife like CWE, Soulard, Midtown, and the Loop.

Check out the Ely Walker Lofts, Meridien, Bogen, Ventana, and Fashion Sq. Could provide more if interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top