Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,385 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am not Polish but I am from South Bend, Indiana. South Bend has a Dyngus Day celebration that is the second or third largest in the country. I have been in St. Louis for over 20 years and really miss that 'Easter Monday' celebration. With AB being here in town, and St. Louis loving any reason to celebrate, I can't imagine why the celebration has not come to St. Louis. Do any of you know of any Polish bars or organizations that have Dyngus events? I know St. Stanislaus has an Easter Monday mass, but that's all I've been able to find.

I always celebrate out with my husband and wish everyone a 'Happy Dyngus', but it's just not the same (and I get some strange looks)!!! We need to bring Dyngus to St. Louis!!!
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:54 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,733,354 times
I've never heard of that. Sounds interesting though.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:50 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,666,663 times
I lived in South Bend and wasn't even aware of Dyngus day celebrations :-x I usually was traveling for the holiday though, I guess.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:11 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,571,800 times
I learned something today, thanks! But I can't help you.

At least if you tell me Happy Dyngus, I won't take offense now! (Dingus is a mild insult.)

Old 04-17-2014, 02:17 PM

395 posts, read 647,009 times
Try these guys - Polish Falcons - still active - have a great Polish Fest every year in N St. Louis

Polish Falcons of America Nest 45

St Stan's in N StL has a Dyngus Day Mass -

St. Stanislaus - Main Page

[SIZE=4]April 21: “Dyngus” Day Celebration
[/SIZE][SIZE=3]Experience a tradition that is more than 1000 years old! Since 966 AD the Second Day of Easter has been associated with the baptism of Prince Mieszko I. Tradition states that Prince Mieszko I along with his court were baptized on Easter Monday. Thus, “Dyngus Day” and its rites of sprinkling with water have become a folk celebration in thanksgiving for the fact that the first king of Poland was baptized and thus brought Christian faith to Poland. In more modern times, the tradition continued when farm boys in Poland wanted to attract notice from the girls of their choice - it was custom to throw water and hit the girls on their legs with twigs or pussywillows. Join us for a special [/SIZE]Dyngus Day outdoor Mass at 6:00 p.m.[SIZE=3] and be ready to get wet![/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis