Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 11:05 AM

42 posts, read 64,685 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have recently relocated to St. Louis and have actually gone to her 5 month check-up at Washington University Hospital. The doctor their informed me that during delivery the residents their deliver the baby and the doctors are alongside them to supervise. This kind of turned us away, but heard that Washington University has one of the best OB/GYN in the country.

Should I continue going to this hospital or are their better one's near St. Charles, MO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 01:24 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
I delivered my son last July at Mercy and I highly recommend it! Their birthing center is brand new and all of the staff were totally awesome. I had to go back in for postpartum issues and again, it was a great experience (aside from the PP issues!).

Also, if you want I will message you the name of my OB GYN (I'm pregnant again, due next month!). He has offices at Mercy but delivers also at Missouri Baptist (pretty much across the road) if you prefer. He's considered one of the best in St. Louis and my experience has been nothing but positive. He delivered my son and will be delivering my second as well!

You can go on free tours of the birthing / delivery facilities at both Mercy and MoBap- you register online on their websites to do so. The tours are conducted by a nurse who will also give you a run down of the process and what happens.

I've also heard that St. Lukes is good but have not had any personal experience with them.

When I had the postpartum issues a few days after birth (not the fault of the hospital or my doctor, just one of those things), the ambulance took me to De Paul in Bridgeton and I would NOT recommend that place at all. Long story short, after 6 long hours laying on a bed in Triage in excruciating pain, they decided to transfer me to Mercy (it took so long because they lost my paperwork). Mercy took care of me and got my pain under control immediately and got everything rectified within a few days.

Like I said, don't let my postpartum issues put you off, because they were not the fault of my OB or the hospital, they were more mine than anything!

So, stay away from De Paul, and look into Mercy or possibly MoBap

Good Luck and Congratulations!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:20 PM

42 posts, read 64,685 times
Thank you very much for this valuable information! We will seriously look into Mercy.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:45 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
I'm guessing you mean Barnes Jewish, which is affiliated with WashU. Definitely a teaching hospital.

One of my nursing friends was joking at one point that nearly half of deliveries in the St Louis area happen at either Mercy or Missouri Baptist. Out of my group of friends, I'm not sure I actually know anyone who didn't have their children at one of these two hospitals. Both are very well regarded.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 PM

446 posts, read 484,851 times
One of my kid was born at De Paul. We asked for a female doctor and female ancillary staff. Our request was honored and everything went extremely well.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 PM

188 posts, read 376,126 times
I personally don't think there is anything wrong with having your baby delivered at Barnes-Jewish as the residents already have tons of experience since its a large volume center. That being said, if you feel more comfortable without a resident, Mercy is probably the place to go as it is well known as the baby factory of St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis