Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:07 AM

203 posts, read 271,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
The question you need to ask yourself is whether you would rather have access to jogging trails or access to hip bars and clubs. The CWE has better outdoor opportunities, but downtown has better bars and clubs, plus the residential options downtown are superior to the CWE. Not that residential opportunities are bad in the CWE, it's just that the buildings downtown are newer and have more bells and whistles. CWE buildings are generally more vintage. I've lived in both and while I love my downtown loft and all of its modern conveniences, I do miss Forest Park and the tree-lined streets of the CWE. It's a tough call.
That's a matter of dispute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:23 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector2 View Post
That's a matter of dispute.
I'll concede that. It's just that, having lived in both, Wash Ave./Laclede's Landing seem quite a bit more raucous than the Euclid corridor. I actually prefer the establishments in the CWE, but I think when people really want to get torn up they head downtown.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:51 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Does anyone still go to Laclede's Landing except for 21st birthdays and bachelorette parties?

Old 05-02-2014, 06:19 PM

19 posts, read 25,142 times
Again, thanks everyone for chiming in. In considering all information I think I am set on living Downtown. The proximity to bars/sports venues/transportation and the like is ultimately too much to pass up in my mind. I am hoping to spend roughly $1000 on parking/rent/and electric - $1100 is the absolute most I am willing to spend. With that being said - does anyone have personal experience in a nice downtown apartment or loft in this price range that they can vouch for? I don't need an overload of amenities - just a nice, clean, functional building. I found out my office building in DT Clayton includes a personal gym so that is something that I will no longer require in an apartment building. Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-04-2014, 07:00 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,489 times
Look at the Bogen, Ely Walker, Paul Brown, Vanguard Lofts, Bee Hat, warehouse 13, and Fashion Square for starters. PM me if you need more info.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:21 PM

I ended up finding a really unique loft (which I consider to be a good value) on Washington and 16th across from the Ely Walker building. Thank you everyone for your help. I am excited to move down and get acclimated to the area. Any suggestions for good bars/restaraunts in that area?

Old 05-08-2014, 01:38 PM

203 posts, read 271,374 times
About six blocks east there is a cool beer/wine bar called Bridge. To the south of Bridge, the same guy owns Bailey's Range which is a good place for burgers and local beer. Hiro Asian Kitchen has good Ramen. In an alley (it's technically St. Charles St.) between Wash Ave and Locust there is a place called Blood & Sand, a members-only restaurant/bar (like $160/year), that I've heard is not as pretentious as it sounds. You can probably call ahead and they will let you in to check it out and have some drinks and food.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:24 PM

26 posts, read 29,414 times
On Washington Ave. there are plenty of great bars (Dubliner, Hair of the Dog, SideBar) and restaurants (Prime 1000, Hiro Asian Kitchen, Over/Under), as well as other streets just south like Olive and Pine (locust has a lot of construction right now, so hopefully more in the near future).

There are other great areas not far away either. Just south of Downtown across the highway and rail yards are great areas of entertainment like Soulard (bars, nightlife), Lafayette Square (great restaurants, Square One brewery) and Benton Park. To the west you have Grand Center which is a rich cultural and arts area (Fox Theatre, Powell Symphony Hall, etc). Further west is Central West End and Forest Park, which, as has been said, is amazing. There are a ton of great neighborhoods and little areas to explore (Tower Grove, Botanical Heights, The Hill, Dogtown, etc.)

Welcome to STL and I truly hope you enjoy it here. It is a wonderful city with lots to offer a young graduate. If you don't mind my asking, what will be your job?

Also, make SURE to check out the City Museum, it's right by your place. I promise you've never seen anything like it.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufilm View Post
On Washington Ave. there are plenty of great bars (Dubliner, Hair of the Dog, SideBar) and restaurants (Prime 1000, Hiro Asian Kitchen, Over/Under), as well as other streets just south like Olive and Pine (locust has a lot of construction right now, so hopefully more in the near future).

There are other great areas not far away either. Just south of Downtown across the highway and rail yards are great areas of entertainment like Soulard (bars, nightlife), Lafayette Square (great restaurants, Square One brewery) and Benton Park. To the west you have Grand Center which is a rich cultural and arts area (Fox Theatre, Powell Symphony Hall, etc). Further west is Central West End and Forest Park, which, as has been said, is amazing. There are a ton of great neighborhoods and little areas to explore (Tower Grove, Botanical Heights, The Hill, Dogtown, etc.)

Welcome to STL and I truly hope you enjoy it here. It is a wonderful city with lots to offer a young graduate. If you don't mind my asking, what will be your job?

Also, make SURE to check out the City Museum, it's right by your place. I promise you've never seen anything like it.

Funny you say that as my apartment has a view of all the attractions located on the roof of the City Museum - I'll be sure to check it out.

I will be working as an Account Executive for a software company based in one of their satellite offices.

Really looking forward to coming to the area. Originating from MN I am a huge MN Wild fan/NHL fan in general. Being 6-7 blocks from the Scottrade will be unreal.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:03 PM

Should I be concerned with noise coming from the City Museum? I see that its often open late and I'm not sure if I should anticipate hearing a huge group of children screaming all day/evening. I guess that be one of those 'won't know til you're there' type of things..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis