U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 09:14 AM

6 posts, read 5,699 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the information all. Here are the areas my Wife and I are looking at.
Outside Loop: Ellisville, Ballwin, Manchester, possibly Valley Park or Fenton
Inside Loop: Sunset Hills, Crestwood, Webster Groves, Shrewsbury
What surprised me about the inside loop area: Homes seemed resonably priced, property tax fair, and great schools (Lindbergh). What gives? Is the crime bad?

Now we are trying to decide if we want
Older home: character, bigger lot, mature trees, but possible updates/repair.
Newer home: Lower maintenance, updated design, but cookie-cutter and smaller lots and possible HOA.

Budget still is 200-225,000. Decisions, decisions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 09:43 AM

203 posts, read 221,815 times
In those inside-loop areas (or outside-loop areas for that matter) you should not have any concerns about crime. They are about as safe as can be--all very nice places for the most part although you will find some slightly run-down areas here and there.

Lindbergh school district did just vote to raise the tax rate so the numbers you see will go up, but probably not a significant amount. Lindbergh school district has a good reputation, too. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
razorfire: Don't discount Maryland Heights or Creve Coeur. They have very good school districts and don't have the 'uppity' vibe you're trying to avoid You'll also be able to find something in your price range- especially in the Maryland Heights area!

Old 04-25-2014, 03:23 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorfire View Post
Thanks for the information all. Here are the areas my Wife and I are looking at.
What surprised me about the inside loop area: Homes seemed resonably priced, property tax fair, and great schools (Lindbergh). What gives? Is the crime bad?

Newer home: Lower maintenance, updated design, but cookie-cutter and smaller lots and possible HOA.

I really love Webster Groves but your budget will not go far. Depends what you're looking for. If its anything 3/2 or above, good luck....

The only downside of Crestwood IMO is that there is a large mall there that is now completely empty. Property was up for auction this week and was sold...but I haven't seen anything in terms of what the buyer plans to do with it. Other than that, good schools, low crime, family friendly. Honestly its an area that doesn't get a lot of buzz on here but Lindbergh SD seems to be a popular place to live from a real estate inventory standpoint.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:35 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,576,073 times
If you're considering Crestwood, Webster Groves and Sunset Hills you might as well consider Kirkwood, too.

Honestly, I would also think about the more suburban-ish southwestern StL City neighborhoods. The schools and crime don't rank as high as the suburbs, but the differences are blown way out of proportion. Pretty much everything about your description of what you want in a house sounded like "city" to me, except of course for the word "suburb".

Old 04-28-2014, 01:08 PM

Location: inside, where it is warm or cool depending on the season
117 posts, read 122,296 times
Question why so far out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorfire View Post

If you are going to be driving a lot around STL you'll want to be more centrally located like glendale or brentwood or rock hill. I heard Lindbergh schools were on the decline from my sister who graduated there a dozen years ago but I can neither confirm nor deny those reports.

Ellisville, Ballwin, Manchester, possibly Valley Park or Fenton will put you WAY outside of the central STL area and if you are driving ALL OVER STL it'll add lots of drive time especially during rush hour. University city is also central but I hear bad things about the schools there but I know one family that sends their kids to a UCity elementary school and they say it is ok (I probably would disagree).

Also living far out takes you away from STL's cultural center which is the best part of STL.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:24 PM

6 posts, read 5,699 times
Thanks again for taking the time to reply all.
Frank, you are right. The more we talk about it, we are probably wanting to be closer to the city.
Mike, I will look into those areas and see what falls within our budget.
Cheers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis