Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 02:34 PM

35 posts, read 67,378 times

Advertisements

My husband is flying to Fenton on May 9 for a job interview. He's going to spend the weekend looking at the area to get a feel for what it's like and I'm hoping I can get some direction on the areas we should focus on.

We have two boys, who will be in 8th grade and 12th grade this fall. (The high school senior is fine with moving, he's super flexible and loves change.) I want to have good schools for them. My daughter will be a college junior so she's only with us part time as a backup.

We'd love a new construction house. Our current house in NC has been one thing after another with projects, and my husband wants zero maintenance. Ideally, under $350K.

I've looked online at Wentzville and Lake St. Louis, but not sure how the commute would be. My younger son would like that small town feel where he can bike places, which is another factor. Pulte looks promising.

I'm not too worried about my part - I work in the financial end of health care and it looks like there are possbilities for me all over the area.

I really have zero clue where to start. I want to live somewhere with friendly people (who enjoy a good cocktail on the weekend ) and a nice suburban life. We're pretty easygoing, love to have people over, kids can hang out at our house, etc.

I know this isn't too focused, but that's kind of how I feel, even though I've moved a lot already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 02:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
Wentzville and Lake St Louis are a haul to Fenton. Why not Fenton itself, or nearby Wildwood or Eureka? All of these have areas located in Rockwood School District, widely considered a great district. Close commute. Newer homes. I believe there are biking trails but I'm not super familiar.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the advice. It's overwhelming to consider the possibilities when we're not familiar with the area. Wildwood looks beautiful, I'll have my husband check it out.

I looked at Wentzville and Lake St. Louis because it seems to fit, with new homes and nice areas/school district. I haven't found new builders in that range in the Fenton area, do you know of any?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:22 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
I would definitely focus on the immediate area, rather than looking at all the way out in Wentzville / Lake St. Louis. Rockwood School District is considered one of the better ones in the region.

Eureka has a new subdivision being built out called Echo Lake (example: 0 Oakland Echo Lake Dr, Byrnes Mill, MO 63025 is For Sale - Zillow )- but of course it may not be completed by the time you want to move. Other than that, there are quite a number of houses in the area that have been built within the last 1-10 years (I'm not sure how 'new' is new to you!) that will fall into your budget.

Your husband's commute would only be about 15 minutes, and I think from a natural beauty standpoint, the Eureka area and surrounds are very, very pretty.

Wildwood won't have as much new construction within your budget, but has a lot of 10+ year old houses that are still very nice, and it's a very pleasant area also.

The added benefit of the Eureka / Wildwood areas is that you're not overly far from St. Louis proper and all of the wonderful things it has to offer, while you'll still be getting a suburban lifestyle. Lake St. Louis and Wentzville are ways away from everything decent, in my opinion!

Good Luck to you!

P.S. I lived in NC for almost 5 years and my husband lived there for 10... which part of NC will you be relocating from? I hope you love MO- in my opinion it is a LOT better than NC

Old 04-24-2014, 09:24 PM

P.P.S. I also believe there are biking trails in the Eureka area- and they'd probably be a lot more scenic than anything out Wentzville / LSL way

Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 PM

Thanks glamatomic. I'll bookmark the link and send my husband out to tour when he's there.

We live in Charlotte, near the Huntersville area. I like it here, but the new job possibility seems so great for my husband that a move will be fine. We've been in SC and GA too, so it will be a little weird to leave the south.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:44 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
I'm super bad about new builds...because I always considered anything built in the last 10 years to be "new construction." There's been a lot of development out that direction in the last decade, and I'd imagine there's still some activity. Without looking too hard, I see stuff being built in Fenton, Eureka, Ellisville.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
I'm super bad about new builds...because I always considered anything built in the last 10 years to be "new construction." There's been a lot of development out that direction in the last decade, and I'd imagine there's still some activity. Without looking too hard, I see stuff being built in Fenton, Eureka, Ellisville.
Haha, me too. <10 years old is new to me. Haha. Mind you, I live in a 1950s ranch (I didn't want a newbuild because it wouldn't suit my furniture... yes, I got a few crazy looks when I told people that. Seriously though it's just not my personal aesthetic, although there are some beautiful new houses out there. I need my Pink Bathrooms and Robins Egg Blue Tiled Kitchen though.). Hahaha.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:12 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
One thing I would caution is that you all probably won't be "biking everywhere" in most places outside of the 270 loop (e.g., everywhere that's been mentioned). That area is mostly cul-de-sacs connected by non-pedestrian highways, particularly new construction.

If you want a small town feel, you'll mostly get that from the more city-proximate suburbs inside 270 like Kirkwood. But that'll be more expensive for a smaller house.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Kirkwood has that small town vibe, and the schools are good. The housing is old, mostly. For newer homes, Wildwood would be good. Wildwood is trying to be a small town, with its town center. But really you would need a car to get around. However there are biking and hiking paths in Wildwood. You can find subdivision homes there, or homes on acreage. There are some older homes, but there are many newer. I don't know if there are any new builds there now. It would be a short hop onto I-44 to get to Fenton for work. There is a new hospital in Fenton--St. Clare. You might investigate that as well. Good luck!

Rockwood schools are good. I was happy with the education and experiences my kids received in that school district. I'd recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis