U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 06:13 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,774,351 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, that private involvement was too late-what could have been a second Lafayette Square or Soulard is now empty field.

Now the question is, what goes there now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:57 PM

208 posts, read 200,185 times
The city needs to provide significant incentives to people moving into these areas that are showing improvement to expedite the gentrification process. There are tax abatements and enterprise zone loans certainly but these typically apply to developers and rehabbers. Other incentives could be added for the regular folks who move into these areas to live.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:11 PM

830 posts, read 972,181 times
If you want a good idea of what a gentrified north city looks like, study the gentrification of DC, Brooklyn, Harlem, Oakland and San Francisco. If you wanna get an idea of the kind of people that would move into a gentrified north city, observe the whiny, spoiled, bratty, know-it-all-yet-know-nothing and often racist gentrifiers comments on the DC and New York boards or visit diehipster.com. Heres some quotes from another post i made on this subject:

//www.city-data.com/forum/st-lo...t-louis-3.html

If gentrification does come, depending on how many hipsters move in and how the so called "art" scene grows, north city gentrification will be fast and furious. blacks in north city will continue to go into North county or out east into Illinois (east STL, Cahokia, washington Park, maybe even belleville).

I'd love to see north city get revitalized, but after seeing whats happened in New York, DC and numerous other major cities, I'm afraid it'll be full blown gentrification rather than just revitilization and stabilization......it seems in american cities it has to be one extreme or the other.....either a full blown gentrified hipster/yuppie orgy or a burnt out deprived slum.

Gentrification.....be careful what you ask for

Old 05-01-2014, 04:45 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,141,907 times
Not sure that there are too many similarities between STL and DC, NYC, and San Francisco. In order for the north side to be revitalized by the hipster effect, the already established areas would have to become too expensive. Most of the already-nice or improving areas are not too expensive for the typical college graduate.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 PM

830 posts, read 972,181 times
Id love to wish the same......but if revitilzation gets enough steam, the major development companies will get involved. Once they get invovled, block after block of slums will be bought up by these companies, rebuilt and resold for massive profit. a major real estate titan's involvment is often a key ingredient in gentrification.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:46 AM

859 posts, read 270,755 times
The City of St. Louis desperately needs an influx of tax paying residents to pay for infrastructure, public services, public schools, etc. To me, it doesn't matter if these residents are "whiny brats" or working class heroes. The city is big enough to accommodate all types and more residents of any stripe is definitely a good thing. This anti-gentrifcation stuff is pure nonsense.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:11 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,380,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
The City of St. Louis desperately needs an influx of tax paying residents to pay for infrastructure, public services, public schools, etc. To me, it doesn't matter if these residents are "whiny brats" or working class heroes. The city is big enough to accommodate all types and more residents of any stripe is definitely a good thing. This anti-gentrifcation stuff is pure nonsense.
THANk.YOU.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:13 PM

5,908 posts, read 6,578,285 times
I've moved back to St. Louis a few weeks ago from Chicago and one of the things I love about my St. Louis is the lack of attitude with the residents.

I hope that the city can grow into something nice but gentrification in the way of Back Bay (Boston) Lincoln Park (Chicago) can take away from a city and it's soul and sense of place.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 PM

7,266 posts, read 5,756,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Eventually, the vast majority of the North side is gentrified, and the area is built up again.
It would be great but there is just not enough people. Even the fastest growing large metros are only growing just over 2% a year (according to a Forbes article I just read).

Old 05-06-2014, 10:44 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,083,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
It would be great but there is just not enough people. Even the fastest growing large metros are only growing just over 2% a year (according to a Forbes article I just read).
I read the same thing. Austin is growing at abt 2.5% and Raleigh-Durham is abt 2.1%. It doesn't seem like much when you look at it on an annual basis, but when you compound it out over a decade, it's a lot. At those rates, Austin will have grown on a percentage basis in 9 years more than the counties in STL metro have since before 1970. Same with Raleigh in abt 11 years.

As for the original question, if those north side areas gentrified, that would be a huge game changer for the city. Not because those areas specifically gentrified, but because what that would imply for the central corridor and many of the older south city neighborhoods. The near north areas are pretty resistant to gentrification for both economic and racial reasons. For those areas to see significant gentrification outside of a fairly small pocket around ONSL, that would mean that 20 or so neighborhoods in the central and south have become so expensive that people looking for the next thing would be willing to invest northward in large numbers. I don't see that happening for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis