U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:52 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,774,351 times

Advertisements

For speculation's sake, let's imagine that North City gets gentrified. It starts in Baden and ONSL, and pushes West and South; a third region of gentrification opens up a little bit later and works north from the CWE. Eventually, the vast majority of the North side is gentrified, and the area is built up again. Aside from a large increase in population (due to repopulation and restoration of many blighted areas), how would this effect the city of St. Louis? What kinds of changes would we see? Would home prices rise across the city? What would happen to the old residents? Anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 02:08 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,814,427 times
I think the county would be more affected than the city. The residents 'displaced' by gentrification because they can no longer afford the rising rents that come along with it would most likely end up in inner North County.

One thing people seem to forget about gentrification of an area is that the poor already there will need to go somewhere!

Old 04-26-2014, 02:15 PM

P.S As mentioned, I'm originally from Brisbane, Australia. As a young child, a lot of the neighborhoods surrounding the CBD (Central Business District, like downtown in American cities) were considered very, very rough.

By the time I was a teen they'd started gentrifying and were considered trendy, and by the time I was in my late teens / early 20s they had become expensive and fashionable.

However, the blighted areas just seemed to shift from those to the outer, older suburbs. The same thing would happen here I'm sure, if the northside ever succeeded in gentrifying.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:49 PM

208 posts, read 200,185 times
Eliminating the specter of the Northside looming just over the border would be a huge boost to the perceived image of downtown St. Louis. In real terms, larger tax base means more revenue for grand civic projects further enhancing the national image of St. Louis.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:29 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,380,529 times
The real question is how you define "gentrification." When most people use that word they're thinking of places like NYC, DC, Chicago, etc. where working class neighborhoods get overrun by yuppies making 6 figure incomes and all of the mom-and-pop places get put out of business by high-end retailers. What's going on in St. Louis is that destitute neighborhoods with very little (if any) economic activity are being repopulated my lower middle-class/middle class people opening mom-and-pop businesses in empty storefronts. The first scenario is often disastrous for poor people, but the second scenario has the potential to be enormously beneficial to them. If the North Side were ever to experience this St. Louis-style "gentrification" (which so far has been confined to the Central Corridor and the South Side), I don't think the County would necessarily suffer. Low income North City residents are moving to the County now because they see more economic opportunity there, but if we brought economic activity to North City I don't see why they would automatically flee.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Dawn10am- excellent points!

You're right, when I think of 'gentrification' I think of all of the yuppies moving into an area (like what happened where I grew up) and the businesses that fit their high end needs.

It will be interesting to see if anything does change in North St. Louis. I can see some of the areas that were once wealthy, possibly reclaiming some of their former glory, but there's a lot of the North that was historically poor, which I believe will remain so, unless Paul McKee's vision for the Northside Regeneration Project actually comes to fruition.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:19 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,380,529 times
What's interesting about McKee's project is that that area (greater St. Louis Place) was actually very well-to-do back in the day. Some of the remaining architecture up there is on par with Lafayette Square, another historically bourgeois area. One could say that gentrification would just be getting back to the neighborhood's roots!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
What's interesting about McKee's project is that that area (greater St. Louis Place) was actually very well-to-do back in the day. Some of the remaining architecture up there is on par with Lafayette Square, another historically bourgeois area. One could say that gentrification would just be getting back to the neighborhood's roots!
If the neighborhood was supposedly upscale, why is nearly all of it gone?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
The real question is how you define "gentrification." When most people use that word they're thinking of places like NYC, DC, Chicago, etc. where working class neighborhoods get overrun by yuppies making 6 figure incomes and all of the mom-and-pop places get put out of business by high-end retailers. What's going on in St. Louis is that destitute neighborhoods with very little (if any) economic activity are being repopulated my lower middle-class/middle class people opening mom-and-pop businesses in empty storefronts. The first scenario is often disastrous for poor people, but the second scenario has the potential to be enormously beneficial to them. If the North Side were ever to experience this St. Louis-style "gentrification" (which so far has been confined to the Central Corridor and the South Side), I don't think the County would necessarily suffer. Low income North City residents are moving to the County now because they see more economic opportunity there, but if we brought economic activity to North City I don't see why they would automatically flee.
This is an extremely interesting point. St. Louis does have its own gentrification going on-where not yuppies but average middle-class Americans are moving in. I really hope the trend continues and possibly accelerates. One of the things that sets St. Louis apart is the fact that it's accessible to all-the rich, the poor, and everyone in between. If we lost that, we'd lose one of the greatest things about our city.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:33 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,575,157 times
If a priority is placed on preserving or substituting housing for current renters while developing, gentrification can happen without the forcible displacement that can be so worrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis