U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 01:42 PM

12 posts, read 14,299 times

Advertisements

Greetings, all -

I need some advice on neighborhoods in St. Louis that would best accommodate someone with my "stats."

I'm planning to relocate to St. Louis this fall. I'm a 41 yr old single woman, professional (LSW), born & raised in the NYC metro area (Jersey City). My greatest needs are for access to public transportation, affordable, non-hi-rise housing (under $1,000/mo), and safe, walkable surroundings. My partying days are well behind me (that doesn't mean I'm square!), so access to night life/bars/restaurants is less important to me than proximity to an affordable, well-stocked supermarket. The rest I can figure out when I get there (where I'll do yoga, get pedicures, buy racy greeting cards, etc.), and I realize that coming from NYC, I'm rather used to getting wherever I want pretty much whenever I want. I know there'll be some adjusting to this end.

I intend to visit for a week in late June to explore and interview for work. Your input would really help me direct my efforts on that trip. Thanks so much!

Em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 03:45 PM

2,104 posts, read 2,040,177 times
The Central West End or Clayton would probably be your best bet, as long as you don't mind living in a one bedroom (I think you can get a one bedroom for under $1000 in Clayton). The choice would be based on personal tastes; The CWE has a more urban vibe, Clayton is a built up inner-ring suburb. Both will have easy access to public transportation (by StL standards anyway), yoga studios, pedicurists, groceries, etc.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:49 PM

Thank you, Zach!

Old 05-03-2014, 04:55 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
I used to live in the very southern portion of University City, kind of between downtown Clayton and the nice 24 hour Schunucks grocery store at Clayton & Big Bend. It was pretty dreamy from a public transit standpoint. I had 4 roomates, half did not own vehicles. We were within a half mile of 2 MetroLink stops, it wasn't hard to get to the grocery store, either a bit of a walk, an easy bike ride, or catch the bus. We could walk to the U-City Loop, which has a bunch of stores, bars and restaurants, we could walk to downtown Clayton, which has restaurants and where many of us worked. It's my favorite place I lived as a renter with no car.

Other than that, you might consider Tower Grove South, which has a Schnucks grocery store just east of the neighorhood, and a little west of the neighborhood. The store to the west is nicer. There are some yoga studios, restaurants, and bars in the area too. The 70 bus runs on Grand Blvd, which is the east end of the neighborhood, to the Grand MetroLink stop.

My last thought: Maplewood. There's a MetroLink stop, a Shop and Save grocery store, and a downtown area on Manchester Blvd.

All of these areas come to mind due to their low-rise or single family housing concentration, public transit access, and nearby grocery stores. Central West End always seemed to have more huge apartment complexes to me, both high and lower rise. Downtown also has a grocery store, but all rentals would be more mid/high rise buildings.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:57 PM

Thanks, billiken! Lots to consider and look into - I appreciate it!

Old 05-03-2014, 06:55 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
I agree that CWE, Clayton, University City are all contenders.

Also possibly look into Skinker DeBaliviere as it has easy access to the Metrolink and some beautiful apartment buildings and surrounds

Old 05-03-2014, 06:58 PM

P.S. For public transportation, I would try to stay in the bounds of the Metrolink Light Rail, as I personally think it's more comfortable and efficient than buses (I'm not a huge fan of buses in general though). Unfortunately, areas in South City don't have Metrolink access yet. The Western Corridor (CWE, University City, Clayton, Skinker DeBaliviere, etc) has easy Metrolink access

Old 05-03-2014, 08:35 PM

446 posts, read 417,554 times
Is your job located in downtown?

I am currently in NY (Long Island) - moved here from St. Louis for a work related project, and planning to move back to STL next year.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:47 AM

Wow! Thanks everyone! I'll definitely keep my search around the Light Rail (which I've been spoiled by in Jersey City, as well).

I don't have a job lined up as yet. I'm not a prima donna - have been in a dog walking biz in NYC for 3 yrs now. NYC is saturated with social work schools that crank out grads at an alarming rate. Jobs are scarce, and more often than not require that the applicant is bi-lingual ("Hola!" Ok, we've exhausted my Spanish skills ...). Pay? Abysmal. I would never be able to make a living. I've had such a hard time transitioning into the field here, despite getting licensed. The friends I have that are working in the field are in 2-income households. Some still work for Americorps making $18K a year with a Master's degree! I don't have that luxury.

In coming to St. Louis, I'm looking to start in my field, but I have a long history in higher ed administration as well, so I'm simultaneously making the Universities a point of contact.

Where are you on Long Island? I lived in Oceanside for 10 years - that's down on the South Shore.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:01 PM

Cost of Living in St. Louis is definitely a lot lower, so you've got that in your favor too, when looking for jobs. I ordinarily wouldn't recommend anybody move anywhere without a job lined up, but it can be done.

When I moved to St. Louis initially it was for a job opportunity, and then when my husband and I moved back to St. Louis after living in NC, neither of us had jobs lined up (although I wasn't looking for myself as I was pregnant so didn't see the point), but my husband found a job within 2 weeks, so all was right with the world

Just make sure you do have some savings to live on as a 'buffer zone' between relocating and finding a job!

Best of luck to you! I'm excited for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis