U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 07:37 AM

42 posts, read 53,145 times

Advertisements

Just moved to the area and thus far I have heard west of st. Charles is the best place to anticipate the house prices to continue to increase in the next couple years. Any other areas you guys can think of? What do you think about Fenton area?
There is a slight possibility that we may move again the next next several years, so really looking for an area where I will at least break even if/when we move.

Looking for houses in the $250K - $300K range.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 08:16 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,576,073 times
I'm leery of investing pretty much anywhere outside of 270. Most of the housing in those areas is cul-de-sac bedroom communities with nothing to recommend them except the quality of the neighborhood and proximity to highways and chain stores. In other words, there's no reason to live there once someone builds another cul-de-sac ten minutes further down the road that's brand new and less expensive.

Having said that, if you're only in the hot areas for a few years you'll probably be riding the correct side of the bubble.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:51 AM

1,728 posts, read 2,173,007 times
Agree with Frank for the most part. Short term sure, long term... I wouldn't look so far out.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:07 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
I personally wouldn't look that far out either, if I was looking for investment return.

I would stick to West St. Louis County and Mid County. As far as investment goes, the the suburbs that would personally top my list would be Kirkwood, Webster Groves, Ladue, parts of Olivette (within the Ladue School District), Creve Coeur, etc. I personally think they've got more going for them than the suburbs that are farther out. As gas prices go up (which, they ultimately will in the long term) I believe that the suburbs farther out are going to suffer to an extent due to the cost of commuting to Clayton, Downtown St. Louis or St. Louis County where most of the jobs and industries are still located.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:11 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,381,061 times
I, like others, would advise against going that far out. The places you mentioned are "throwaway" areas that are going to be obsolete in the next 10-15 years (some would argue they already are). For $250-300k I would seriously look into buying and rehabbing a property in St. Louis proper, namely The Grove and Benton Park neighborhoods. They're still fairly inexpensive, but are seeing a rapid influx of well-educated middle/upper-middle class people and the rising property values reflect that. However, pretty much everything inside 270 and south of Page is going to be a stabler market than St. Chuck County.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:19 PM

50 posts, read 72,001 times
i agree with the rest. property values out beyond west county drop once the new development goes up, and the homes built aren't being built too well. some are having serious sinkhole issues. yes - sinkholes!

tower grove is a great area for rehabbing or buying rehabbed. layayette park area, maybe even downtown. people are getting tired of the commute and want to move closer. look at school proximity if buying multi bedrooms. clayton, ladue, kirkwood, webster . . . all have decent public school systems so resale will be great.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 PM

5,912 posts, read 6,581,836 times
I've just recently relocated back to St. Louis from Chicago.

Knowing the trends in real estate on a national level, everyone has made great suggestions. Your fastest growing zip codes are in the middle of urban cities or streetcar suburbs that are walkable like Clayton and parts of University City.

Jomama hit the nail on the head with the new construction quality issues especially in St. Charles county. There is no need for the area to continue west. I've heard southern Illinois may have some good areas to look into as well.

I live in the Tower Grove area for a few weeks and absolutely love the sense of community, diversity and urbanism. It's not for everyone especially if you demand top schools from what I've heard but there are many families here from other parts of the country who love it.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:56 AM

50 posts, read 72,001 times
IF you consider the illinois side, i have a few suggestions. i live over here, so i will attest to it's awesomeness. many in missouri are afraid to cross the bridge, so things here are nice and quiet

columbia, il, is a great community that is always growing. 10 minutes from south county and 20 minutes from downtown, quiet town, great for raising a family. excellent public schools. lots of new construction and all large homes. hard to say what resale will be 10 years from now, but it's close enough to st. louis to think it will continue to grow. edwardsville is another one to look at.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM

359 posts, read 526,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purekoryo View Post
Just moved to the area and thus far I have heard west of st. Charles is the best place to anticipate the house prices to continue to increase in the next couple years. Any other areas you guys can think of? What do you think about Fenton area?
There is a slight possibility that we may move again the next next several years, so really looking for an area where I will at least break even if/when we move.

Looking for houses in the $250K - $300K range.

Thanks in advance!
A general rule I follow is if a realtor says "its hot move there!" it is probably not a great investment - follow the old saying "buy low sell high" - If you are within a 20 minute drive south or west or northwest of Clayton - you stand the best chance of increasing your value - Clayton is the core - Clayton will continue to be the core St. Chuck is too far away from Clayton to hold long term value, the core will not move to St. Chuck

Crestwood/Sunset Hills is undervalued - great school district - better than anything in St. Chuck - homes range from 50 to 20 years old with some new construction - 250-300 K will buy something nice.

Kirkwood/Glendale/Oakland/Webster Groves - not cheap and there is a good reason for that, stable good schools - small town feel - great building stock - bargains can be found you need to be vigilant about looking because they do not last

Brentwood/Richmond Heights - Mid County is the power corridor is St. Louis - for a list of reasons as long as my arm - this is not likely to change - Most of Mid Co is above your price range however you can find bargains is Brentwood/Richmond Heights - once again you need to look.

Wildwood/Chesterfield/Town and Country/Creve Coeur/Olivette - Some of these are getting pretty far from Clayton - they have traditionally done quite well - hitting your price point here will be difficult - best bet is Olivette

Wild cards - U City/Maplewood/Afton/Shrewsbury - you can hit your price point here and its close to Clayton but the housing stock is older - U City has some challenging neighborhoods

Sounds like I pretty down on St Chuck? I am - doing some work there now really disappointed in quality of new housing - planning is bad to non-existent - geared to a consumption demographic - its like they are working from a 1990 playbook out there, like a tide of North County refugees who think the river will "protect" them from what they are running from, their parents who moved from North City to North County in the 50's and 60's thought that the municipal line would "protect" them - its a recipe for continued sprawl cycle, which they have not figured out, is the same recipe for loss of personal investment.

The only ones who get rich there are builders and real estate agents

That being said they are doing some things in downtown St. Chuck - that constitutes about 5% of the built environment out there.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:57 PM

359 posts, read 526,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_mama View Post
IF you consider the illinois side, i have a few suggestions. i live over here, so i will attest to it's awesomeness. many in missouri are afraid to cross the bridge, so things here are nice and quiet

columbia, il, is a great community that is always growing. 10 minutes from south county and 20 minutes from downtown, quiet town, great for raising a family. excellent public schools. lots of new construction and all large homes. hard to say what resale will be 10 years from now, but it's close enough to st. louis to think it will continue to grow. edwardsville is another one to look at.
Second this - I did not mention anything on the Il side but Columbia is pretty nice, as is Edwardsville - bit of drive but nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or