U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:57 PM

203 posts, read 221,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post

Also, I don't think Chesterfield will be too keen on having left the county once all their shiny new houses have reached 20 years of age and have been abandoned for the next set of shiny new houses somewhere else in the metro area. Their sprawl has nothing to offer in the long run, the only thing the new houses offer now is large space at a cheap price. When cheaper and larger houses go up somewhere else, what happens then?
I agree that we're all in the same boat and I'm all for pooling sales tax revenue to a degree. I do, however, think that you're being too bearish on Chesterfield. Chesterfield has actually spent some money building up some nice parks and its keeps the city looking nice in general. Many of Chesterfield's houses are at least 20 years old and still in demand. It's located in the central corridor--too far west for many people, but still, better than Fenton or St. Charles. I think the indications are that Chesterfield is not as susceptible to decline as most suburbs outside of 270.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:19 PM

359 posts, read 526,695 times
what makes this ridiculous about this whole thing - other than the initial proposal - Is that the process for ceding would mean a voter approval from the entire county - and probably millions in fees and legal costs arising from the costs associated with ceding and inevitable law suits.

More to the point Nation could have just as well said - I plan on bringing unicorns to Chesterfield to frolic in our forests - ceding and going to St. Chuck is not an option - and everyone knows it.

Nations is a smart man - I know this from experience - My guess is that the saber rattling is his way of getting attention to what he sees as tax disparity (one could argue that w/o the rest of the county going to Chesterfield and spending money his tax revenue is substantially less) - its a symbiotic relationship - we need each other.

What he needs to be concerned with is becoming Crestwood - former retail power house now just getting its bearings after loosing most of its retail - things will work out good for Crestwood - strong school district - The Plaza will probably be redeveloped as mixed use - but in 1985 Crestwood thought it owned a right to be big voice in the county - in 2007 they were panicking on the verge of disaster -

the lesson - we succeed and fail as group - every attempt to circumvent this fact has led to failure

Old 05-07-2014, 02:30 PM

2,104 posts, read 2,040,177 times
Yeah, I don't think the people who settled into Chesterfield 30-40 years ago when it was first budding are having to give their houses away for lack of demand anytime soon. It is a desirable suburb and new families are buying the homes from the previous generation as fast as they come on the market. They catch it up on some maintenance, add a new kitchens, maybe a great room, and voila, first rate suburban living only 20 minutes from Clayton. Now those developments down in the valley are another story. I don't what they were thinking....

And all this talk of secession is a load of garbage. I'd say good luck getting that one through the legislature.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:27 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
I personally don't see it happening.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:15 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,774,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Yeah, I don't think the people who settled into Chesterfield 30-40 years ago when it was first budding are having to give their houses away for lack of demand anytime soon. It is a desirable suburb and new families are buying the homes from the previous generation as fast as they come on the market. They catch it up on some maintenance, add a new kitchens, maybe a great room, and voila, first rate suburban living only 20 minutes from Clayton. Now those developments down in the valley are another story. I don't what they were thinking....

And all this talk of secession is a load of garbage. I'd say good luck getting that one through the legislature.
You're right, I know most of Chesterfield is doing fine. I was thinking only of the valley when I talked about Chesterfield in my last post-I too often forget about Chesterfield above the valley! But then again, the valley seems to be the engine of Chesterfield's growth, so without it Chesterfield could possibly be just Baldwin 2.0 .

Old 05-07-2014, 07:43 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,576,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Wow, you guys in St. Louis ( or at least some of you ) are taking a page out of KC's playbook, unfortunately it is the equivalent of the fullback dive into the line play that nets zero yards most of the time. You would think that Chesterfield and St. Louis were in different states that used to be at war with each other. It is ALWAYS ALWAYS the case that the metro area is stronger when it works together and is not at cross purposes with each other.
It's not just KC or StL, we have a whole national political party whose platform is basically "cooperation is stupid".

Old 05-08-2014, 09:52 AM

7,266 posts, read 5,758,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
Link to the article

Interdasting. Chesterfield wants to keep more of it's money, but it's undeniably supported by people outside of the Chesterfield area. Yet, the city has taken smart steps to keep it's economy bustling. What do you guys think?
Pretty silly thing to even discuss. I wonder if this is really a shot across the bow to head off any city-county merger talk.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 AM

7,266 posts, read 5,758,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Imagine...if all Chesterfield residents were denied access to city and county amenities, how long would they last?
What, are you going to set up barricades and armed checkpoints?

I'll bet if you polled chesterfield's residents they'd say this is silly and they don't support it.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:26 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,576,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
One consequence could be charging non-StL residents for Zoo admission. Chesterfieldians would still have access, of course, but at a higher price.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:45 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,774,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post

I'll bet if you polled chesterfield's residents they'd say this is silly and they don't support it.
It was a hypothetical, no one is proposing we actually do something like that. Just like no one will support Chesterfield seceding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis