U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,665 times

Advertisements

I live in the SF bay area and i'm single mom with 2 kids. It's too expensive here (always has been but has finally got to me). I have family in house springs, Farmington, St. Charles, downtown, park hills and have been to the ballpark village and grants farm areas most recently. I have visited a handful of times and kinda like some of the bits and pieces thus far. I want to be close to my family.

I will definitely be moving to the STL area next summer and I don't want to live next to just a walmart and a gas station and mile of fast food restaurants/medical facilities nor do I want to live in anything reminiscent of NYC (or what I think of it..).

I just want to:

Feel safe home alone with my small children
live somewhere that has recycling services
near/has farmers market
has a basement (for tornado safety!)
is less than 850 a month for a 2 or 3 bed
Be FAR FAR away from ESL and north county
not be bothered for being a sharks fan (hockey) or my kids for being giants fans (baseball)

Where can I go? any ideas?

I will miss:
Great Mexican food (I said the same thing when I moved from Texas)
diversity (more than just black/white/hispanic)
year round gardening
the things I never got to just yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:13 PM

446 posts, read 417,554 times
$850.00 is slightly tight I think.
Make it to about a $1000.00 and you have Chesterfield, Creve Coeur, Ellisville, Ballwin, Manchester, Kirkwood etc

Old 05-07-2014, 10:52 PM

5 posts, read 5,665 times
Not sure if my job will let me transfer and without that i'll only have 1200 a month for sure which needs to cover everything....

Old 05-08-2014, 06:51 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,576,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texacaliNiNJA View Post
I don't want to live next to just a walmart and a gas station and mile of fast food restaurants/medical facilities nor do I want to live in anything reminiscent of NYC (or what I think of it..).
I'm not sure what you mean by this. What don't you like about NYC?

Anyway, a glance at Zillow suggests there are a few places available in Kirkwood and Webster Groves, and a bunch of options in the south side of the city (which is generally a great place to live). 5452 Roberts, for example, is right down the street from my friend's house, which seems like a nice neighborhood.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:57 AM

2,104 posts, read 2,040,177 times
Do you have a preference for urban/walkable/vibrant/people-out-and-about vs. quiet/peaceful/secluded/but car-dependent? That seems like the biggest question in my mind. How important is public school quality? I'm guessing quite important since you have two kids.

There is nothing that is going to meet all your criteria, but Webster Groves comes to mind as a place where you might be happy. Moderately progressive, eco-conscious constituency. Great schools. I don't know about the Farmer's Market - they must have one. There's some diversity due to the university, though it is pretty weak on this category I believe. $850, if you could find a 3 bed for that amount, would be quite small and in need of some updates, but a modest 3 bed/1bath ranch might be had for closer to $1000. If you could find a little place in Webster Groves with a small back yard to do your gardening, this could be a good scene for you.

If the latter (secluded) model is more your style, and abover average public schools are a muct, and you require the latest modern amentities in your abode, then yeah you will be further out in places like those mentioned by lloooooll. Or else go wayyyy out there in some of the places your family lives- Farmington or Park Hills, for example. I haven't spent much time in these communities, but they are not without their charm. Ironton, for example, I spent a weekend in - nice little town with a town hall in the center, neat little cabin like homes perched up in the hills around downtown. Totally different kind of people than what you find in St. Louis area, but it works for some folks.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:23 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,576,073 times
Webster Groves does have a farmers market (as do Kirkwood and St Louis City).

Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 AM

203 posts, read 221,815 times
Webster/Kirkwood would be good if you can find a place in your price range. Maplewood is worth considering. Cheaper than Webster and Kirkwood. It has a highly walkable main street with a craft brewery/brewpub, restaurants (Italian, contemporary, Mexican, pan-Latin (pains me to write that), cocktails, pub food, sandwiches), charming old second-floor bowling alley, a diner, chocolaterie, clothing boutiques, coffee shop, spice shop, grocery store, couple art galleries, pie shop, new doughnut shop, and much more. One of the top two farmers' markets in the area (in the craft brewery's parking lot). Good street festivals. Good parks. Safe. Decent elementary school. Somewhat diverse. Centrally located with quick access to south city, Clayton, Forest Park and between I64 and I44 (two of the main east-west interstate highways in town). There will be a mix of brick bungalows from the 1920s-1940s and two/three-story frame houses many of which are 100 years old more or less.

Pretty much every decent community in the metro area will have recycling services. We're not that behind here.

Last edited by Hector2; 05-08-2014 at 09:27 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 08:55 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
I was also thinking Maplewood on that budget. South City if your kids aren't in school yet.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:52 PM

26 posts, read 25,752 times
It sounds like you are looking for a middle ground between suburbia and downtown/urban. As has been mentioned, a lot of the inner ring suburbs might be a good fit. Maplewood, Webster, Kirkwood.

A big issue would be schools. If your children are school age you may want to stay out of the city limits. There are some good city schools, but they're few and far between. There are some charter schools as well in the city, but obviously they can be a crap shoot with regards to admission. If you are okay with city living (Not urban like NYC) then some good options (for schools and safe neighborhoods) would be Holly Hills, North Hampton and South Hampton, St. Louis Hills, Lindenwood Park, and Lafayette Square (brand-new charter school).

As for being a Sharks and Giants fan, I don't think anyone would give you serious trouble. St. Louis fans are generally pretty nice. They might give you a ribbing but it would be in good faith. I was actually pulling for the Sharks after the Blues were knocked out. I feel your pain.

I hope you have a safe and seamless move and that you really come to love St. Louis. I think it actually has a lot in common with SF. Great historic architecture, great parks and civic institutions, human scaled neighborhoods and buildings, etc.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:38 PM

50 posts, read 72,001 times
we are currently looking at moving to the bay area - wanna swap? we pay $750/mo for a 2 bedroom duplex (with a basement) in a small town 20 minutes from downtown. it's a small community where we can ride bikes on the street and has great public schools. i don't know of anywhere that doesn't have recycling. couldn't tell you about the sports stuff. i am a rare non-sports fan and i survive just fine. oh, and the farmer's market thing is covered, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or