U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 02:52 PM

483 posts, read 853,373 times

Advertisements

I think the Central West End has more consistent 'pace' than downtown - but when there are multiple events going on downtown, it is more vibrant. The Central West End is the more cosmopolitan of our neighboods. Downtown has changed dramatically, and I hope to see it continue to improve. The entire central corridor from Downtown, to downtown west, Midtown, Grand Center and the CWE is emerging into a very impressive area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 02:56 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,590,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector2 View Post
Standing in the left lane.
What's wrong with standing in the left lane of an escalator? The only problem would be if somebody is trying to get around you, which would be crazy because who is in such a hurry they need to run down an escalator without pausing for people to move out of the way?

Old 05-15-2014, 03:25 PM

203 posts, read 223,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
What's wrong with standing in the left lane of an escalator? The only problem would be if somebody is trying to get around you, which would be crazy because who is in such a hurry they need to run down an escalator without pausing for people to move out of the way?
The problem is that people in St. Louis typically don't move out of the way. They're completely oblivious.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:31 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,844,885 times
Wow, what's the hurry? Haha I think you need a chill pill if you want to go running up and down escalators. Why not just take the stairs?

When it comes to the NYC Subway, the London Tube, Paris Metro, I know it's the norm to stand to one side to allow others to pass, but that's understabdable since people have to catch their train.

If you're just at the mall or whatever in St. Louis, no engagement is that pressing that you should need to rush past people. If you do, I question your time management skills, not the manners of others!

Old 05-15-2014, 04:02 PM

203 posts, read 223,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Wow, what's the hurry? Haha I think you need a chill pill if you want to go running up and down escalators. Why not just take the stairs?

When it comes to the NYC Subway, the London Tube, Paris Metro, I know it's the norm to stand to one side to allow others to pass, but that's understabdable since people have to catch their train.

If you're just at the mall or whatever in St. Louis, no engagement is that pressing that you should need to rush past people. If you do, I question your time management skills, not the manners of others!
It's not just the subways in big cities where people give the courtesy of standing to the right. It's also common courtesy in malls, office buildings...seemingly wherever there is an escalator on which two people can stand abreast.

It's not that I, or anyone, needs to rush anywhere or needs to take a chill pill. Standing to the right is a recognition that some people prefer to (and some just naturally) move faster (not necessarily rushing)--for whatever reason--and standing to the right is a small, civilized gesture that takes no special effort. Like holding the door open for the person behind you rather than letting in start to swing shut. Or, more precisely, like staying to the right on the highway unless you need to pass--another courtesy that St. Louisans often can't seem to deal with.

Moreover, who are these obstructionists to tell me how to spend my short amount of time on earth (kidding a bit here). If I choose to save a few seconds by not lollygagging on the escalator, how does that harm anyone?

Why do you need to get in people's way? How could this be such an affront?

Old 05-15-2014, 04:56 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,590,904 times
Staying to the right on the highway is a rule, not a courtesy.

I so rarely encounter people racing down escalators that I don't feel the need to ride with my friends single-file like a bobsled team on the off chance that somebody needs to charge past.

I bet you microwave your Pop Tarts, too.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:43 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,784,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector2 View Post
Standing in the left lane.
Escalators have lanes?

Old 05-15-2014, 06:52 PM

446 posts, read 419,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
When I lived here when I was single I never had any problems with the dating scene or social scene in general. I have heard some people complain about it, but I had zero problems so I think it just depends on you and how often you socialize and what circles you travel in

I think University City, Central West End or Downtown will be your best options!

Good Luck and I hope you love it here!
I think your case might have been slightly exceptional since you may have had this charming and unique Australian accent which must be a magnet to attract men.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:19 PM

6 posts, read 8,737 times
Thanks a bunch! I'm leaning more towards central west end but I haven't checked out university city yet so ill do some research on that too.

Lol Hector, I completely feel your pain.. But that's not a make or break for me lol :-)

Old 05-16-2014, 04:22 PM

5,916 posts, read 6,618,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie0mari View Post
I'm leaning more towards central west end but I haven't checked out university city yet so ill do some research on that
Central West End is a good choice for anyone who is looking for the urban lifestyle who is from a city like Philadelphia and New York City. It's not going to compare but you shouldn't have any issues with adjusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or