U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-14-2014, 09:02 PM
 
6 posts, read 8,731 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Hello!

I am moving to St. Louis and I have no clue where to live. I am in my upper twenties, great job, African American, and single. I love to hang out at bars, lounges, shop, eat, and meet new people. I don't mind being in a party environment as long as they are working professionals with like minds.
I want to live in a diverse area, and I'd like to meet people like myself

I read some posts about downtown vs CWE but still unsure. Please help!!

If I could find a husband in St. Louis that would be great also *hint hint* so any tips on the social scene would be great!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2014, 10:25 PM
 
5,914 posts, read 6,611,757 times
Reputation: 4538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie0mari View Post
Hello!

I am moving to St. Louis and I have no clue where to live. I am in my upper twenties, great job, African American, and single. I love to hang out at bars, lounges, shop, eat, and meet new people. I don't mind being in a party environment as long as they are working professionals with like minds.
I want to live in a diverse area, and I'd like to meet people like myself

I read some posts about downtown vs CWE but still unsure. Please help!!

If I could find a husband in St. Louis that would be great also *hint hint* so any tips on the social scene would be great!
Either Central West End or Downtown would be great. Most desirable areas of the city area going to be diverse.

Meeting a husband in St. Louis? I don't know. I've met people who have met their spouses here. I've also heard people complain about the lack of quality in the dating scene here. Me personally I'm more into business and family at this point in my life. If I date that's fine if not that's fine too.

Where are you from? The reason I ask is trying to figure out what type of place you come from and what are your expectations of St. Louis?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 10:34 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
4,009 posts, read 5,841,315 times
Reputation: 4569
When I lived here when I was single I never had any problems with the dating scene or social scene in general. I have heard some people complain about it, but I had zero problems so I think it just depends on you and how often you socialize and what circles you travel in

I think University City, Central West End or Downtown will be your best options!

Good Luck and I hope you love it here!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 10:59 AM
 
6 posts, read 8,731 times
Reputation: 13
I am from philadelphia and lived in New York for a while. I understand St. Louis is a lot slower but I need some type of social life so I'm hoping it's not too bad.
As far as the dating scene goes, that's good news! I'm pretty sociable but people here say that St. Louis has a low number of professional men so I'm hoping that's not the case for me.

One question though: is downtown slower than CWE or are they about the same?

Thanks for your replies!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 PM
 
5,914 posts, read 6,611,757 times
Reputation: 4538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie0mari View Post
I am from philadelphia and lived in New York for a while. I understand St. Louis is a lot slower but I need some type of social life so I'm hoping it's not too bad.
As far as the dating scene goes, that's good news! I'm pretty sociable but people here say that St. Louis has a low number of professional men so I'm hoping that's not the case for me.

One question though: is downtown slower than CWE or are they about the same?

Thanks for your replies!
Slower=laid back. Coming from Chicago no part of St. Louis is fast. I'm sure you will notice the same thing being used to the east coast. St. Louis will seem like a small city to you. Otoh, You won't find a shortage of things to do. It's a fun place to live.

There are professional men to date here. I think you may have to open up to social media (particularly dating sites), churches (if you are in to that type of thing) and volunteer opportunities as well.

I don't think that you will find either the Central West End or Downtown better as far as neighborhood appeal to African Americans. Downtown has more clubs Central West End gives more of a neopolitain established neighborhood vibe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 12:31 PM
 
203 posts, read 222,971 times
Reputation: 90
The way people here ride escalators will drive you crazy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 12:46 PM
 
3,696 posts, read 2,589,007 times
Reputation: 2944
It's an escalator, not an expressway.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 01:14 PM
 
203 posts, read 222,971 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
It's an escalator, not an expressway.
Well, whatever it is, like anything in life, there is etiquette involved.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 01:47 PM
 
3,696 posts, read 2,589,007 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector2 View Post
Well, whatever it is, like anything in life, there is etiquette involved.
Step onto the escalator, stand on it for awhile, step off it. What are people doing to annoy you, standing at the bottom?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 02:15 PM
 
203 posts, read 222,971 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Step onto the escalator, stand on it for awhile, step off it. What are people doing to annoy you, standing at the bottom?
Standing in the left lane.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top