Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:46 AM

3,483 posts, read 8,972,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
NOoooo - it was a thriving art center and the owner decided to not lease any longer to new art related tenants in favor of more cash....

Capitalism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 07:40 AM

219 posts, read 508,297 times
I'd say it's an issue of location, location, location. Look at the thriving malls... West County, immediately off I-270 (has it's own exit in fact) pretty close to I-44 and I-40. South County, immediately off I-270 and I-55. Chesterfield, immediately off I-40.

Crestwood was just too hard to get to relative to other malls. West Co and Chesterfield being located in higher avg income neighborhoods doesn't hurt either. I would guess, thought that if you stuck Crestwood at I-40 and I-170 even before the rebuild it would've had a much easier time.

Today there is simply no reason to visit it unless you live next door. I miss Exhilarama as much as the next ex-kid too.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:06 AM

3,483 posts, read 8,972,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
Today there is simply no reason to visit it unless you live next door. I miss Exhilarama as much as the next ex-kid too.
I agree, especially with the last. Being a north county kid, i personally spent more time at Tilt at North West Plaza...That was a great hangout till a couple of thugs got a hold of it.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:42 AM

4,361 posts, read 4,531,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
I'd say it's an issue of location, location, location. Look at the thriving malls... West County, immediately off I-270 (has it's own exit in fact) pretty close to I-44 and I-40. South County, immediately off I-270 and I-55. Chesterfield, immediately off I-40.
Crestwood was just too hard to get to relative to other malls.
True that all of these other malls stole some of the business away from Crestwood. But those malls had all been in existance for decades, and they all co-existed nicely. The main reason for Crestwood's decline, in my opinion, was the addition of one new ginormous retail mega-center a few miles to the southwest of Crestwood: Gravois Bluffs.

(And note that the highly-successful Gravois Bluffs is NOT even located by an interstate highway. So location isn't necessarily the whole key to success.)

Old 01-26-2012, 04:34 PM

4,361 posts, read 4,531,651 times
Also, nearby Kirkwood Commons stole business away from Crestwood Plaza.
There's only so much retail that can survive in a specific area. Once there's a glut, someone will lose out.

Crestwood can be reborn, but it will need to be completely re-thought. Retail alone won't cut it. It will need to be a mixed-use center (shopping, restaurants, entertainment, even office space.) And as far as retail, one answer would be to bring in a new name to the St. Louis market, one that could serve as the main anchor. Imagine what an IKEA would do for business there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis