Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 3,671 times

Advertisements

What high schools near STL do you think are best for math and science? We want to relocate for better schools, and our son is very good at math. Ideally we would love an area that is more intellectual/nerdy vs snobby. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 12:24 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
If you want good schools, follow the money. In St. Louis there is a direct relationship between school districts and home prices, want the best expect to find a few snobs in the process...I'd recommend everything from Ladue westward on I-64 towards Chesterfield, with small deviations North and South of route.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:58 PM

So do you think Ladue is better than Clayton then? Thank you for your reply.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
I'd say both are on par with each other...might be able to look up math scores on Greatschools.com but i haven't checked.

Good luck.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:48 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,504 times
I'd go with Metro Classical Academy. Clayton, Ladue, Kirkwood, Parkway, etc are all good, but if you want a strong concentration of alphas geeks (like nobody is even average, they are all above average by definition) with minimal snobbery, you will not be able to beat Metro in the STL area based on what I've heard.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
I'd say Metro is a good bet, however there's no guaranteed admission, OP.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM

150 posts, read 243,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog74 View Post
What high schools near STL do you think are best for math and science? We want to relocate for better schools, and our son is very good at math. Ideally we would love an area that is more intellectual/nerdy vs snobby. lol

First of all, what do you mean by very good at math? Has he been identified as gifted or by his teachers as very talented in math? I only ask because many parents over estimate their children's abilities. So many parents think their kid is a genius, but that is another topic.

If your son is really gifted in math, the best thing you can do is get him out of the high school all together for his math classes. He won't be truly challenged in a high school math class, even an AP class. He will likely have better math skills than his high school teacher too.

Enroll him in a math class at a local community college or better yet, a real university. Community colleges are basically glorified high schools and a gifted student is unlikely to be challenged there. Contact your local university math department and see if they have any programs for talented high school students or a math circle.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 AM

Well he is young still, 5th grade, but he is in the gifted program and came in 1st place in his grade in a regional math competition. He participates in Math Circle at Wash U during the school year. We are also looking at the MEGSSS program for middle school. I just wanted to find a school that would be most likely to challenge him and offer him peers with similar abilities/interests.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:23 AM

41 posts, read 150,313 times
For what it is worth, I don't think the kids in Ladue public schools are snobby. I know lots of intellectual/nerdy kids and many talented in math. One of my kids is one grade advanced and I personally know others that are two grades advanced in math. For example, this means going to the high school for math while in middle school.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 7,365 times
From what I understand PEGS program is tops but really hard to get into. It in in Lindbergh district but open to others who qualify. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis