U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:56 AM

12,545 posts, read 19,548,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCitySam View Post
Well, that's his job. And he gets paid very well for it.
Who's paying him for coming down to help give a voice to the family?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well obviously, since the police aren't saying what the evidence is, which is normal protocol, I don't KNOW what the contradiction is. I just know they said that the eyewitness accounts are not matching up with the facts/evidence of the case. Just like when there is a murder investigation, the police don't release all the information and that way if someone CLAIMS to have knowledge of the murder, but their version of the story doesn't match the evidence, you know they are lying.
You're quoting something about "facts/evidence of the case, but not acknowledging that those would be the facts from the side that is being accused of killing an individual for no reason. They get to control the facts. Doesn't it strike you as odd that none of the eyewitness accounts validate the "facts" that the police are saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
All Al Sharpton has to do is show up and he causes division. He does it everywhere he goes. All he and Jesse Jackson EVER do is cause more racial tension.
Normally I would agree with this, but he's been fairly calm, as far as national reporting has shown. Last night he was on the news telling people they need to stop using this incident as an excuse to cause violence, because that is not what the family wants. he had a great quote, something like 'we're angry, but we're not allowed to be more angry than michael brown's parents'.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:08 AM

663 posts, read 924,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b1 View Post
You're bias comes screaming through...Are you saying only Blacks can represent other Blacks? That is not what a Democracy is. I care about a persons actions and World view, not his skin color.
The body was on the street for 4 hours...So what? There are many reasons this could have happened. Maybe the investigation wasn't complete. Maybe they were concerned about their personal safety because of the chaotic situation at the scene.

and the name of the officer SHOULD NOT be released.His life would be in danger.
There are 2 different situations here. The shooting...and the rioting....
No excuse for the rioting. They are stinkin thieves and arsonists...lowlifes...and they are making the rest of society even MORE disgusted with Black disfunction in this country.
George Zimmerman isn't even a cop (#wannabe) and he's doing all right. I think the cop would be fine. Those are baseless claims. Everything would have been better if they released the cops name, sent him on a 3 week vacation and people would have practically forgot.

But no.....

They want to play hardball. Or is it that they are possibly trying to sway the public's opinion by playing a geo-political game to make Ferguson peeps look bad? That way they were '''justified' for killing the black boy.

FOOD. FOR. THOUGHT.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
One contradiction seems to be the witnesses as far as I can tell have said there was no physical altercation between the officer and Brown, at least in which Brown participated - yet the police claim the officer had injuries to his face consistent with such an altercation.

Doesn't mean the subsequent shooting was justified.
it's a shame that there's no way to prove that the police officer had injuries. you know, since they're concealing his identity and all and swooped him off the scene. not hard to imagine going back to the precinct, and "injuring" his face, then take some pictures of the injuries. hate to sound all conspiracy theory, but at the moment i don't trust a thing coming out of that department.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:13 AM

Lol, these comments are making me laugh. Everybody defends the policeman. But then when they want to ''take yur guns'' in a few years you're up in arms. Seriously, you have the power to stop a totalitarian regime from encroaching your neighborhoods, but since it's a black kid it doesn't matter. The black community policing is the future of policing in America period.

"Oh noes...Obama is sending tanks. IMPEEEEEEEEEECH HIIIIIIMM!".

Old 08-14-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
The most recent lady testimony started at the point of the officer was pulling Brown into the car. The going back and forth could have caused the officer to get hit.

The friend described a scene that could have resulted in him striking the officer out of reaction to being choked and trying to get away. We react in ways to defend our self when being attacked. I'm interested in hearing the facts about Mr. Brown grabbing for Officer "?" gun.

Maybe this could be a wakeup call for some to try to be as cooperative as possible when dealing with these type of officers. Maybe we need to train the officers not to use profanity when giving directives to citizens. I don't know yet. I will have to wait and see.
i've been taught by my parents, and have seen through life, that the only way to deal with cops is to do everything they say and make them as comfortable as possible in the encounter. for example - if you're pulled over in your car, keep your hands up on the steering wheel, turn flashers on, and if possible, turn the interior lights on so the car is visible. but, i'm white. i don't have the same encounters with cops as this young man and his friends do. i don't know how i'd react to a cop cursing at me, pulling me into the car. are you supposed to just take a beating? how far do you let it go? at what point do you fear for your life?

Old 08-14-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
George Zimmerman isn't even a cop (#wannabe) and he's doing all right. I think the cop would be fine. Those are baseless claims. Everything would have been better if they released the cops name, sent him on a 3 week vacation and people would have practically forgot.

But no.....

They want to play hardball. Or is it that they are possibly trying to sway the public's opinion by playing a geo-political game to make Ferguson peeps look bad? That way they were '''justified' for killing the black boy.

FOOD. FOR. THOUGHT.
If the news story becomes more about the rioting than the shooting, then the distraction will likely have worked, at least for the National attention. Think, Hurricane Katrina. I've found the news (CNN, FOX, MSNBC) to be fairly awful on this so far. But with Twitter and Facebook, it's easier to at least get some information. The problem with that is getting things from people who aren't journalists doesn't exactly tell you the story either.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
If the news story becomes more about the rioting than the shooting, then the distraction will likely have worked, at least for the National attention. Think, Hurricane Katrina. I've found the news (CNN, FOX, MSNBC) to be fairly awful on this so far. But with Twitter and Facebook, it's easier to at least get some information. The problem with that is getting things from people who aren't journalists doesn't exactly tell you the story either.
Everybody has their own agenda. I can't trust anybody. The biggest problems I've noticed so far is that both the police and ''witnesses'' are seemingly coming out of the woodwork days after the shooting. Like some information that should have been out since the beginning.

People want to make this way simpler than it is. It's not just race here. It's "where'd you go to high school". White-flight. Educational problems. Family problems. Taxes. Trust. History. A lot jumbled into one. St. Louis needs a good, long hard look at itself if it wants to grow as a city to the levels of Seattle or New York. A house divided is a house that falls.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
i've been taught by my parents, and have seen through life, that the only way to deal with cops is to do everything they say and make them as comfortable as possible in the encounter. for example - if you're pulled over in your car, keep your hands up on the steering wheel, turn flashers on, and if possible, turn the interior lights on so the car is visible. but, i'm white. i don't have the same encounters with cops as this young man and his friends do. i don't know how i'd react to a cop cursing at me, pulling me into the car. are you supposed to just take a beating? how far do you let it go? at what point do you fear for your life?
I'm black. I've dealt with Florissant and Hazelwood cops. Both times were my fault when I got pulled over. Nobody has had an attitude with me and the Hazelwood cop was especially nice to me. But I try to obey the law most of the time. Some of my black friends though don't like the cops. I don't think I've ever seen the bad side of a cop and don't want to. I know I should cooperate now, complain later. Even when I'm in Chesterfield or Ladue there hasn't been a problem. But time will tell.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:12 AM

20,917 posts, read 13,040,594 times
Quote:
it's a shame that there's no way to prove that the police officer had injuries. you know, since they're concealing his identity and all and swooped him off the scene. not hard to imagine going back to the precinct, and "injuring" his face, then take some pictures of the injuries. hate to sound all conspiracy theory, but at the moment i don't trust a thing coming out of that department.
I've seen this mentioned many times in comments of various articles. The officer was swept away after the shooting so quickly, no one knows who he is and the police chief admitted that if the family sues the officer they will likely also sue the police department. They have every motivation to have injured his face in an attempt to justify the boy's death.

But even if you were to take the officer's story at face value, and I'm seriously doubting it now, the boy was running and three car lengths away from the officer with his hands up. He'd been shot twice already. The officer was in no danger from the boy that could possibly justify killing him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis