U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 11:21 AM

663 posts, read 923,916 times

Advertisements

Obama's on TV in a couple moments...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I've seen this mentioned many times in comments of various articles. The officer was swept away after the shooting so quickly, no one knows who he is and the police chief admitted that if the family sues the officer they will likely also sue the police department. They have every motivation to have injured his face in an attempt to justify the boy's death.

But even if you were to take the officer's story at face value, and I'm seriously doubting it now, the boy was running and three car lengths away from the officer with his hands up. He'd been shot twice already. The officer was in no danger from the boy that could possibly justify killing him.
No, the jury is going to find a way to make him guilty. They'll throw ''he was in a felony act though, shoot to kill".

Old 08-14-2014, 12:15 PM

121 posts, read 171,885 times
I pray that anyone near this situation who sides with the protesters finds the courage to go out and become one of the protesters. It's scary, but you will never feel so alive. Rekindle your internal fire.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 PM

11,041 posts, read 20,931,216 times
Quote:
I've seen this mentioned many times in comments of various articles. The officer was swept away after the shooting so quickly, no one knows who he is and the police chief admitted that if the family sues the officer they will likely also sue the police department. They have every motivation to have injured his face in an attempt to justify the boy's death.

But even if you were to take the officer's story at face value, and I'm seriously doubting it now, the boy was running and three car lengths away from the officer with his hands up. He'd been shot twice already. The officer was in no danger from the boy that could possibly justify killing him.
Why do cops often open fire in cases like this rather than just fire once if they feel threatened? I understand self defense, but often people are shot 20 times and most of the shots come after the suspect is obviously no longer a threat.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:44 PM

12,545 posts, read 19,541,660 times
Quote:

well, just to play devil's advocate. IF Brown attempted to grab the police officer's pistol, all bets are off. who knows where he's running? is he running to get a friend who has a weapon? I dunno police protocal in that scenario, but maybe it's possible that shooting is justifiable once a person tries to take an officer's weapon. i truly don't know...

Old 08-14-2014, 12:45 PM

8,313 posts, read 5,938,140 times
Who is that one guy they keep showing on the news? I see this guy everywhere, He was with the people protesting that first day and then I saw him with the news crew. Today he was at the fire department when the senator was speaking. He's about five foot five and five foot wide,easily over 300 lbs and can barely walk. He wears a blue uniform, is he a Ferguson cop?

Old 08-14-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChapman36 View Post
I pray that anyone near this situation who sides with the protesters finds the courage to go out and become one of the protesters. It's scary, but you will never feel so alive. Rekindle your internal fire.
heck, even forming groups in other cities around the country, and protesting in public spaces.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Why do cops often open fire in cases like this rather than just fire once if they feel threatened? I understand self defense, but often people are shot 20 times and most of the shots come after the suspect is obviously no longer a threat.
Dead suspects can't talk. The thing is, if you just shot someone and it was a big misunderstanding then there's a chance you could go to court and be proven guilty. Especially if it's a sound testimony.

But we also have too look at the fact that Mr. Brown was black. He's an animal that (according to biases in America) that must be put down because he's ''dangerous''. Apparently all black guys have zombie reflexes if shot once, they will kill you.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
i think people get hung up on the quantity of shots fired. you have to understand that it's not like the movies. once a police officer decides to shoot - he's shooting until he's sure the target is down. i'd say there's almost always going to be at least 4-6 shots fired by an individual officer. certainly no less than 2. when you read about the 10-20 shots, it's normally 2-3 different officers who fired multiple shots each.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, just to play devil's advocate. IF Brown attempted to grab the police officer's pistol, all bets are off. who knows where he's running? is he running to get a friend who has a weapon? I dunno police protocal in that scenario, but maybe it's possible that shooting is justifiable once a person tries to take an officer's weapon. i truly don't know...
Well so far all of the witnesses seem to confirm there's was a struggle. It's how that struggle happened that changes everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis