U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 PM
 
317 posts, read 294,157 times
Reputation: 244

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Doesn't change my theory that black males are more likely to ever even be arrested for crimes that all races commit. I am getting the feeling this thread is corrupted by the very people I am disgusted with.

You're not understanding the statistics. When someone commits a crime and is never found, blacks have a higher percentage than the percent of their 12.6% of the population represented.

It's people like you who aren't helping the situation. Before a problem can be solved the problem has to be identified.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2014, 11:49 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
4,009 posts, read 6,005,584 times
Reputation: 4586
The St. Louis Metro as a whole won't suffer, but North County will. It makes me sick to the stomach to think about the aftermath of all of these needless riots.

We are going to start saving to leave Florissant. We don't believe in debt so it will take us about 5 years if all goes to plan, but we want to move to Eureka / Wildwood. I've already resigned myself to the fact that we are probably going to lose money on our house because of this. I wanted this to be our forever home but NoCo will take even more of a nose dive after this. It would be unfair on my children to stay.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 11:52 PM
 
317 posts, read 294,157 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
I believe Alpha_Dog is an undercover racist.

Anyways, I agree with you bad apples. It's a self-fuffiling prophecy. You'll find what you want to find. Black people will always get automatically assumed for doing a crime, even if they are not. Hence, a as a black person I can't knock on a white neighbor's door without fear of being shot. Police are really guilty of this as they are faster to arrest a black man for something than a white man.

Blacks should have a higher percent of their population committing crimes. They have had more to overcome in the last 50 years. The government isn't providing them with the extra education they need.

Just like the whites in Appalachia are stuck in generational poverty and crime, so are many poor blacks in America.

These people both white and black need more help from the government they need extra education and other help.

Many come from families that aren't equipped to get them out of poverty. The government needs to fill in the gaps and provide extra help.

When a person says blacks don't commit more crimes as a percent of their population, that person is not helping anyone.

The whites in Appalachia commit more crimes as a percent of their population compared to other whites in America. That's a fact not a racist comment.

Stop blaming the cops and the rest of America. Admit that blacks have a crime problem and then find solutions

I'm sure cops arrest a lot of whites living in trailers too, that doesn't make the cops racist.

White trash gets stopped more than average white people.

If you look like a type of person who is more prone to crime you're going to get stopped more.

A black man in professional attire walking in downtown is far less likely to get stopped than the white bum on the same street.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 11:58 PM
 
663 posts, read 921,989 times
Reputation: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1766 View Post
Blacks should have a higher percent of their population committing crimes. They have had more to overcome in the last 50 years. The government isn't providing them with the extra education they need.

Just like the whites in Appalachia are stuck in generational poverty and crime, so are many poor blacks in America.

These people both white and black need more help from the government they need extra education and other help.

Many come from families that aren't equipped to get them out of poverty. The government needs to fill in the gaps and provide extra help.

When a person says blacks don't commit more crimes as a percent of their population, that person is not helping anyone.

The whites in Appalachia commit more crimes as a percent of their population compared to other whites in America. That's a fact not a racist comment.

Stop blaming the cops and the rest of America. Admit that blacks have a crime problem and then find solutions.
There is no solution. You know why? Because nobody wants their money touched. It's an incredibly complicated issue that it's hard to start. I've said this way earlier thread. The board has been set and the pieces are moved....we've been checkmated and no one knows how to fix it. There is no time machine to fix the past.

The entire system that designed this mess (Jim Crow, Redlining, poverty, etc.) has to be dealt with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 12:04 AM
 
854 posts, read 1,013,670 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1766 View Post
You're not understanding the statistics. When someone commits a crime and is never found, blacks have a higher percentage than the percent of their 12.6% of the population represented.

It's people like you who aren't helping the situation. Before a problem can be solved the problem has to be identified.
What exactly is the problem in your opinion?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 12:07 AM
 
6,052 posts, read 6,879,976 times
Reputation: 4745
The city of Ferguson will be forever linked to the riots of 2014 or the Wilson/Brown case. The city has been changed forever within a matter of days. If the situation is viewed as the pivotal point for a "civil rights" movement and a picture of equality then it will survive and the region will benefit if not boom because of it. Many are already considering this as the beginning of a movement of a community demanding responsible policing.

St. Louis County has to be reorganized to be more efficient and reduce the number of municipalities to 20 or 30 at the most and share the same police department and have a unified school district. If not it will always be looked at as the place that allowed tanks and military actions against innocent protesters and media.

Either way we look at it St. Louis has been changed forever because of the Brown/Wilson case or the riots of 2014. It will either make us or break us. It's too early to tell.

The world is watching.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 12:13 AM
 
854 posts, read 1,013,670 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
There is no solution. You know why? Because nobody wants their money touched. It's an incredibly complicated issue that it's hard to start. I've said this way earlier thread. The board has been set and the pieces are moved....we've been checkmated and no one knows how to fix it. There is no time machine to fix the past.

The entire system that designed this mess (Jim Crow, Redlining, poverty, etc.) has to be dealt with.
That is the problem! It's not any particular group or race of people, it is the system. Some like to scapegoat crime into particular groups of people. It happened in the past by a group of German nationalists known as Nazi's. People can say all they want to that African Americans commit a higher proportion of crime based on their percentage of the population, it doesn't change the fact that they are systematically forced to by the system. Also they are sub sequentially profiled by law enforcement for this very reason, so it is a self fulfilling prophecy. Another thing that pisses me off is how when one black man does commit a crime people start dragging out statistics showing how all black men commit more crimes on average than white men. Blacks are always looked at by whites as a group and not an individual. If a crazy white person commits a crime then that person is bad not the entire group of Caucasians.

http://open.salon.com/blog/chauncey_...more_crime_and

Last edited by bad apples; 08-19-2014 at 12:25 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 AM
 
317 posts, read 294,157 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
That is the problem! It's not any particular group or race of people, it is the system. Some like to scapegoat crime into particular groups of people. It happened in the past by a group of German nationalists known as Nazi's. People can say all they want to that African Americans commit a higher proportion of crime based on their percentage of the population, it doesn't change the fact that they are systematically forced to by the system. Also they are sub sequentially profiled by law enforcement for this very reason, so it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Smearing Trayvon Martin: Blacks Commit More Crime And... - Chauncey DeVega - Open Salon

You're making law enforcement the scapegoat.

How are blacks systematically forced to commit crimes?

If white cops were racist you'd also see them pulling over more Asian people or more Arab people.


The solution is the government needs to provide more education to at risk children and provide answers to race specific problems. The poor white trash person is going to have some similar and some different problems than a poor Hispanic person.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 AM
 
317 posts, read 294,157 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
There is no solution. You know why? Because nobody wants their money touched. It's an incredibly complicated issue that it's hard to start. I've said this way earlier thread. The board has been set and the pieces are moved....we've been checkmated and no one knows how to fix it. There is no time machine to fix the past.

The entire system that designed this mess (Jim Crow, Redlining, poverty, etc.) has to be dealt with.
There are solutions to these problems.

The problem starts with the way politicians are elected in this country. They are too afraid to do what really needs to be done, because they don't want to be voted out of office.

Also, in America we let almost everyone vote. Which means we let even the ignorant people decide what's best for our future. People should have to pass a test before being allowed to vote.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 12:43 AM
 
854 posts, read 1,013,670 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1766 View Post
You're making law enforcement the scapegoat.

How are blacks systematically forced to commit crimes?

If white cops were racist you'd also see them pulling over more Asian people or more Arab people.


The solution is the government needs to provide more education to at risk children and provide answers to race specific problems. The poor white trash person is going to have some similar and some different problems than a poor Hispanic person.
Institutionalized racism, lack of allowed involvement in local government, poverty brought on by segregation into lower income communities In government provided housing. Etc... Poor white trash people are not near as likely to have been harassed repeatedly by law enforcement if they aren't committing crimes. Can't say the same for black folks. Not all white cops are racist, just some. However the American system as a whole is very racist and increasingly so with regards to Hispanics.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top