U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 AM
 
6,070 posts, read 1,663,624 times
Reputation: 4290

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimelistener View Post
Cop should not be charged and black youth need to be taught how to act properly in a civilized world.
Ideally the cop would be charged and there would be a trial so that all of the facts can be put out in the open. Then, if the cop was justified, which is entirely possible, it can be put to rest.

But that will never happen because the prosecuter, McCulloch, has a history of protecting police and other officials instead of doing his job in an unbiased manner.

Yes, youth, both black and white, should be taught how to act in a civilized world. Still, it's hard to see how chasing down an unarmed kid and shooting him in the head is civilized. I would like to hear the officer's side of the story and would give him the benefit of the doubt, but if he doesn't go to trial that will never be made public
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:44 AM
 
13,724 posts, read 16,794,107 times
Reputation: 16774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
chasing down an unarmed kid and shooting him in the head
That's an interesting twist on what happened. The officer's side of the story has been put out there. The kid went for his gun, the gun accidentally discharged, the kid actually DID get the gun at one point, the officer got it back, the kid ran off but then doubled back and bum rushed the officer, the officer shot him. The officer had injuries that may have included a broken jaw, but that hasn't been confirmed. The officer could have been anywhere from 1 or 2 feet to 35 feet away from him when he was shot (based on forensics), but what I heard (can't remember the source now) is that when the kid was fatally shot he was 15 feet from the officer. If a 6'4" 292 lb "kid" is bum rushing me and is 15 feet away, and had already taken my gun once and assaulted me, I would shoot to kill.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:46 AM
 
663 posts, read 922,463 times
Reputation: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
You just discredited yourself.
No, you just discredited yourself.

And I just discredited myself!
*hugs*
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:48 AM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
14,473 posts, read 6,011,937 times
Reputation: 8273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Ideally the cop would be charged and there would be a trial so that all of the facts can be put out in the open. Then, if the cop was justified, which is entirely possible, it can be put to rest.

But that will never happen because the prosecuter, McCulloch, has a history of protecting police and other officials instead of doing his job in an unbiased manner.

Yes, youth, both black and white, should be taught how to act in a civilized world. Still, it's hard to see how chasing down an unarmed kid and shooting him in the head is civilized. I would like to hear the officer's side of the story and would give him the benefit of the doubt, but if he doesn't go to trial that will never be made public
The officers account has so far been pretty sketchy. Not much details. I think if the Ferguson PD had been more forthcoming with info early on and not given people the impression that they were crcling the wagons they could have diffused this volatile situation. Instead they have managed to turn a tragedy into a disaster.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:50 AM
 
663 posts, read 922,463 times
Reputation: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That's an interesting twist on what happened. The officer's side of the story has been put out there. The kid went for his gun, the gun accidentally discharged, the kid actually DID get the gun at one point, the officer got it back, the kid ran off but then doubled back and bum rushed the officer, the officer shot him. The officer had injuries that may have included a broken jaw, but that hasn't been confirmed. The officer could have been anywhere from 1 or 2 feet to 35 feet away from him when he was shot (based on forensics), but what I heard (can't remember the source now) is that when the kid was fatally shot he was 15 feet from the officer. If a 6'4" 292 lb "kid" is bum rushing me and is 15 feet away, and had already taken my gun once and assaulted me, I would shoot to kill.
Of course that's assuming that is exactly what happened. It would be in the officer's best interest to make himself look better.

I'm not sure what relevance size has here though. The officer would have probably still shot him if he was 5'2''.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 AM
 
663 posts, read 922,463 times
Reputation: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The officers account has so far been pretty sketchy. Not much details. I think if the Ferguson PD had been more forthcoming with info early on and not given people the impression that they were crcling the wagons they could have diffused this volatile situation. Instead they have managed to turn a tragedy into a disaster.
This. There has been other police ''killings'' in the past few years (one happened in Hazelwood with a drunk guy), but it didn't have the frenzy this did. Part of the reason is that a story from the police was released almost immediately, while in this case it took several days.

STL County needs some firings in order.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Southwest Nebraska
1,297 posts, read 4,346,679 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
yes the body laid there for hours none of the residents moved until the moved the body then they marched to the police HQ. the boy was walking from the store with a friend and patrol car pulled and almost hit him. told the boy to get out the street when he was right by his building the police starting yelling and cursing and he cursed back at the police. the police got out the patrol car told the boy to put his hands up the boy put his hands up and the police let off 9-10 shots killing him right in front of his grandma and everybody in the apartment complex. the police said they got a call about a boy stealing a cigar out the QT. Which is impossible unless your behind the counter and can move the drawers out the way for the cigars and anything else to smoke. come to find out nobody from the store called the police and a person that works in the store said none of the employees said anything to the police about a boy stealing anything...he has already been criminalized anyway especially since he is dead that's how it is and that's how it will always be it will never change

Funny how most everything you said here was wrong. This is how what is happening now makes things get way out of hand. Nobody knows what happened until the full investigation is complete.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 10:01 AM
 
6,052 posts, read 6,885,682 times
Reputation: 4745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I know you are just being a smart a**, buy actually, my husband works 5 minutes from this crap, so we will move on.
Where is home?

Sorry that you don't like it here because of the riots. How has it affected your life?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 10:11 AM
 
203 posts, read 229,555 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I know you are just being a smart a**, buy actually, my husband works 5 minutes from this crap, so we will move on.
Not just being smart. From the other thread, I gathered that you had determined that you didn't want to pay for a home in St. Louis before the chaos started in Ferguson. Maybe the chaos confirms in your mind that you made the right choice. But you never mentioned in the other thread that the Ferguson situation caused or contributed to your decision. Seemed like your decision was about being unimpressed with the type of house you get for the money in St. Louis. It kind of seems to me like you're piling on and also exaggerating Ferguson's effect on your decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 10:13 AM
 
6,052 posts, read 6,885,682 times
Reputation: 4745
One of the biggest problems with the demographic changes is the new residents are not voting for people who represent their interest. I think many may be renters and not taking ownership of their new city.

Now you have the outrage and it's getting national attention. I can almost bet money on the police department will under go some major changes along with the city council and mayors office.

You can't complain about how things are done if you don't vote.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top