U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:34 PM

854 posts, read 1,014,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCitySam View Post
You got that right.
Clever, paraphrasing. Looks like you might have a future working for CNN, or if you get really crazy you could try out for the Ferguson Police Department.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 09:41 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,009,730 times
All very good, very true points, Mutgr.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:42 PM

6,483 posts, read 1,846,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Can you tell me where you got those details? The only account of the cop's side that I heard was a 3rd-hand story from some call-in radio station.

As I said, I would give the cop the benefit of the doubt, but I am having a hard time picturing how this kid reaches through the car window and gets a hold of the gun, which I assume was properly holstered on the cop's belt. I also can't help but wonder if shooting was the only possible way for the officer to get out of the situation.
"Josie" called in to a radio station on (I believe) 15 August:

EXCLUSIVE: Caller claims to be friends with Darren Wilson, Knows His Side of the Story | FM NewsTalk 97.1

CNN waited until 18 August (post Baden-autopsy results) to report it as "news." To try to be fair to CNN, they framed the story as having been confirmed by someone within the investigation and perhaps they didn't want it online without that leak.

The officer indicated he unholstered his gun after Michael Brown struck him through the window. Michael reached for the gun which, according to the officer, was at one point directed towards him. He shoved it away, at which point the gun fired within the vehicle. Obviously (I assume !!!) this can be verified by forensics. After the gunshot, Michael freed himself from the "tussle" and took off running.

Had that bullet struck and killed Wilson, it may be of interest that this is the link to capital crimes in Missouri:

Missouri Capital Punishment Laws - FindLaw

After striking Wilson, Michael had graduated from strong arm robbery / jaywalking to (possibly, depending on state law and prosecutorial discretion) felony assault on an officer. Wilson pursued, gun drawn. "Josie" believes but was not certain that Wilson had already radioed for back-up once he decided to return to question the kids.

These "confirmed leaks" (supposedly "St. Louis sources" are confirming the broken lobe) are interesting. The police chief released the convenience store tapes against the advice of the DOJ. There well may be a bunch of very fed up cops mad as h*ll at the CNN spins and misinformation attempting to counter public opinion before it's too fixed in stone.

Hard to see how this is not going to become political ...

Old 08-19-2014, 10:23 PM

150 posts, read 223,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
I'm definitely wanting to move. Racist, bigoted mentalities are just awful. STL is too bleeped up to fix.

Because we all know that that the majority of Ferguson residents don't have this mentality.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 PM

6,052 posts, read 6,885,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I thought it was Vatterot? I could be wrong, even with the spelling.
It was Vatterot. He was taking up heating and air conditioning.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:34 PM

31,438 posts, read 70,449,903 times
It is what it is. Here in Pittsburgh we've been inundated with coverage of the ongoing rioting to the point where local affiliates now have reporters there, but with that being said the local media, at least, is referencing "Ferguson"---not "St. Louis". What's happening in your area is all anyone here has been talking about, but everyone is indeed referencing Ferguson.

As an outsider I always had a positive impression of St. Louis as being Pittsburgh's slightly bigger brother. Both cities have struggled with deindustrialization, White Flight, urban decay, segregation along socioeconomic and racial lines, municipal fragmentation, etc.

Let's face it. Race relations between middle-class whites and impoverished urban blacks have been awful across the country for generations. Impoverished urban blacks are either resentful towards whites for their plight or are suspicious of whites in authority (or both). Many middle-class whites wrongfully assume all impoverished urban blacks are lazy gangster wannabes who would mug them at a moment's notice.

What is happening in Ferguson very easily could be happening next week in Wilkinsburg, a struggling predominantly black inner suburb of Pittsburgh that is slightly smaller in population than Ferguson. It could be happening in any other inner suburb where a white minority is viewed (rightfully or wrongfully) to have excessive power over a black majority.

This will stigmatize Ferguson and pretty much decimate any revitalization efforts Ferguson was undertaking. It will not, however, affect the city proper of St. Louis or other suburbs. If I was a civic leader in Ferguson right now I'd be begging to be annexed into the city proper of St. Louis in order for the community to have a better shot of healing as a neighborhood of a new city.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 PM

6,556 posts, read 5,049,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Everybody from both sides are making erroneous statements including yourself. This is a discussion forum, not a trial courtroom. You are also an arm chair quarterback.

These are my only posts to this thread. Please point out which of my statements is erroneous. Also kindly point to where I am armchair quarterbacking. You are correct in that this is not a courtroom however some of the statements in your posts come out as if you are a witness and were on the scene during the shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I can answer question # 2 for you, police officers are trained to shoot for center mass to stop the threat.TV cops shooting people in the arm or leg to stop them is just what TV cops do.
Quote:
Yes, if that's what it takes to stop the threat.
Quote:
What gets me is all the arm chair quarterbacks here on this thread...making statements as if they actually witnessed the incident. Also making erroneous statements about they perceive to be police procedure.

Quote:
Police officers are taught that every run is a gun run because they bring the gun.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 PM

65 posts, read 93,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
It was Vatterot. He was taking up heating and air conditioning.

Thank You, jtinmemphis, for the clarification.

I just want this violence and restlessness to end.
Peace to the area.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:57 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,705,351 times
Once again, Mike Brown was NOT shot in the back. The bullet that killed him went through the top of his head which, given his height, means that he was facing the officer with his head down.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:21 AM

6,052 posts, read 6,885,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkeleyKid View Post
Thank You, jtinmemphis, for the clarification.

I just want this violence and restlessness to end.
Peace to the area.
Me too.

Relax and pray for justice.

I don't think any of us know what happened. Many are taking sides based on misinformation others are flat out racist. Most on here have absolutely nothing to do with Ferguson or with the people who live there. Yet are claiming to be experts on who is telling the truth and who isn't and passing judgments on people integrity. Many can't tell the difference between a robbery and theft or a looting fool and a protester. Too much emotion from people who don't know.

We will know soon enough the outcome. I think it will be fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis