U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 AM
 
112 posts, read 118,694 times
Reputation: 113

Advertisements

To answer your question, I think the majority of whites in St. Louis, and throughout the country firmly believe that the cop was not in the wrong.

A handful of whites showed up at the protests, but (as reported) they have ties to anarchist organizations and showed up to cause trouble. They were arrested because the police and the crowd witnessed them trying to incite a riot by throwing bottles at the police.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2014, 08:57 AM
 
16,719 posts, read 16,602,725 times
Reputation: 41322
Many black folks believe the cop was not in the wrong also.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2014, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
11,045 posts, read 21,036,763 times
Reputation: 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
blacks know you guys kiss up to the whites and are just as racist,where folks from overseas come here and see the racist bs they hurry and try to align with whites so they do not get hosed over like the blacks
Good lord....

Let me ask this question.

Why do African immigrants dislike generational urban blacks from American cities?

My wife used to teach in the very urban and diverse area of Old Northeast in KCMO. She always said that the actual African immigrants that lived in the area hated and were often scared to death of American blacks and considered them lazy, violent and intimidating. They were just as poor and had just as many challenges, yet the parents were almost always more involved with their child's progress at the school and the kids got better grades (even when not speaking English well).

She now teaches in Maryland where she says that there is a huge difference between blacks vs the Midwest and there far less “reverse racism”. In KC, black kids are raised to hate and blame everything on white people and even black teachers and principals hate white teachers. It's nearly impossible for very good white teacher to be promoted in the KCMO School district, but black teachers that don't care and do nothing all day get promoted all the time. She now loves her job and loves her black principle and her best friends in the school she teaches at (which is mostly black) are black. In many ways, the youth are being raised in places like KC and StL as though it’s still the 1940’s and they grow up with a huge chip on their shoulders towards white people. Now there are good black teachers in KCMO too and not all blacks hate white people, but these issues were much more prevalent there.

This is not a racist statement, I am simply passing along information that I have been told numerous times.

I don’t know that these African immigrants are “aligning” themselves with anybody since Old NE is not really dominated by any race, but they would definitely attempt to avoid American blacks as much as possible and they had a pretty negative opinion of them.

Now this is just from a poverty perspective. I don’t know if African immigrants would have a more favorable opinion of American Blacks if they were to interact with them at a university for example. I would think that they would have nothing against them in that situation where they are educated and civilized. But urban black youth in high poverty areas scare the **** out of Africans trying to live in the same areas. Pretty bad to come from a third world country to America and have these problems.

And for the record. I grew up in nearly all black areas of urban kcmo as a youth and today, I probably have more in common and get along better with black people my age than whites. I have nothing against blacks. However, I do have a problem with their brainwashed mentality that white people are out to keep them in poverty and that everything white people do (cops included) is racial based (and so do the blacks I interact with). I fully understand how stupid white people have been and how racist some white people still are. White flight was retarded and helped create many American ghettos, but there is now just as much black flight as educated and more affluent black families also try to get away from the ghetto and thug mentality of urban blacks.

Stop acting stupid and making stupid decisions and blaming others for your actions and you won’t be constantly surrounded by stupidity for your entire life.

Last edited by kcmo; 08-20-2014 at 09:23 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Gods country
6,577 posts, read 5,109,194 times
Reputation: 8857
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Good lord....

Let me ask this question.

Why do African immigrants dislike generational urban blacks from American cities?

My wife used to teach in the very urban and diverse area of Old Northeast in KCMO. She always said that the actual African immigrants that lived in the area hated and were often scared to death of American blacks and considered them lazy, violent and intimidating. They were just as poor and had just as many challenges, yet the parents were almost always more involved with their child's progress at the school and the kids got better grades (even when not speaking English well).

She now teaches in Maryland where she says that there is a huge difference between blacks vs the Midwest and there far less “reverse racism”. In KC, black kids are raised to hate and blame everything on white people and even black teachers and principals hate white teachers. It's nearly impossible for very good white teacher to be promoted in the KCMO School district, but black teachers that don't care and do nothing all day get promoted all the time. (FYI, there are good black teachers too, that's not the point). She now loves here job and loves her black principle and her best friends in the school she teaches at (which is mostly black) are black. In many ways, the youth are being raised in places like KC and StL as though it’s still the 1940’s and they grow up with a huge chip on their shoulders towards white people.

This is not a racist statement, I am simply passing along information that I have been told numerous times.

I don’t know that these African immigrants are “aligning” themselves with anybody since Old NE is not really dominated by any race, but they would definitely attempt to avoid American blacks as much as possible and they had a pretty negative opinion of them.

Now this is just in from a poverty perspective. I don’t know if African immigrants would have a more favorable opinion of American Blacks if they were to interact with them at a university for example. I would think that they would have nothing against them in that situation where they are educated and civilized. But urban black youth in high poverty areas scare the **** out of Africans trying to live in the same areas. Pretty bad to come from a third world country to America and have these problems.

And for the record. I grew up in nearly all black areas of urban kcmo as a youth and today, I probably have more in common and get along better with black people my age than whites. I have nothing against blacks. However, I do have a problem with their brainwashed mentality that white people are out to keep them in poverty and that everything white people do (cops included) is racial based (and so do the blacks I interact with). Stop acting stupid and making stupid decisions and blaming others for your actions and you won’t be constantly surrounded by stupidity for your entire life.
Excellent post! Repped+1
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 AM
 
112 posts, read 118,694 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Many black folks believe the cop was not in the wrong also.
Although I have never had any run-ins with the law,(as a black woman) I firmly believe that many police throughout the U.S. have bigoted/racist beliefs. Ultimately, their beliefs directly impact how they deal with blacks.

Although blacks are not a monolithic group, many believe the cop murdered Michael Brown. I've heard the cop's version of the incident, as well as several witnesses versions. I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle, but I am not buying that Brown would be so foolish to actually charge someone who had his gun drawn and had already shot rounds at him. This doesn't make any sense.

I believe he stopped running and turned to face the officer with his hands raised, but the officer proceeded to execute him and felt completely justified to do so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 AM
 
13,724 posts, read 16,922,366 times
Reputation: 16798
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
blacks know you guys kiss up to the whites and are just as racist,where folks from overseas come here and see the racist bs they hurry and try to align with whites so they do not get hosed over like the blacks
Well, from my personal experience with immigrants, it seems to me that they come here looking for a better life and THEY MAKE IT HAPPEN. They will take the lowest paying jobs, two or three of them if they have to, and work their way through school. I don't think they try to align themselves with whites so much as they see this as the land of opportunity - BECAUSE IT IS - and they do what they have to do to get where they want. I think they know what it is like to live in another country where those opportunities aren't available and they appreciate it.

A lot of blacks who were born here, though, take our freedoms and opportunities for granted. They think they don't apply to them or they think it should just be handed to them without them having to do anything to have a better life. It takes hard work, for sure. I guess I shouldn't just say blacks, though, because there are a lot of white kids who don't appreciate and take advantage of the opportunities that are available to them. But then, from what I see they aren't blaming blacks or any specific race for their not getting ahead, they just mainly blame corporate America or rich people. But then, I don't see them throwing Molotov cocktails, looting and destroying cities over it, either.

What I have seen in immigrant families is that their families stress hard work and education. It is impressive how well Asian and Indian children especially do academically. I have had a little bit of exposure to that because my kids had friends of other races, so I ended up interacting with their parents and knowing the family dynamic and what was expected of them. In particular, my son had an Asian friend whose parents guided him all the way through school. They knew where he was at all times. If he wasn't home when they expected him to be, they would be calling my house or they would come to my house to see if he was here. I imagine they went to other friends' houses too. He tried to slack off and wasn't the best student, not because he wasn't capable but he didn't put in the effort. But their efforts paid off because now he is college and doing well. Better than my son, in fact, who would be one of the kids who doesn't appreciate and take advantage of the opportunities available to him. But he works and he works hard and he is supporting himself and not blaming anyone that he's not making more money. I just wish he'd realize that education really is important if he wants something better in the future.

I also saw an Indian girl who won every science fair award, every academic reward, and was just truly outstanding academically. Again, a credit to her parents who came here for a better life for them and their kids and made sure they achieved that better life. That is pretty typical of what I see with immigrant kids.

So no. People don't come here from overseas and align themselves with white people so they don't get "hosed over" like the blacks. They come here seeking opportunities they didn't have in their country and when they get there they work hard and make it happen. You could take a lesson from them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2014, 09:49 AM
 
16,719 posts, read 16,602,725 times
Reputation: 41322
The last tidbit of news I saw on it showed the entry points of the bullets along Mr. Brown's right arm, and all of them entered through the top of the forearm, not the bottom. If he had been holding his hands up, these entry wounds would have come from the underside of his arms.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2014, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Missouri
592 posts, read 719,374 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_565 View Post
To answer your question, I think the majority of whites in St. Louis, and throughout the country firmly believe that the cop was not in the wrong.

A handful of whites showed up at the protests, but (as reported) they have ties to anarchist organizations and showed up to cause trouble. They were arrested because the police and the crowd witnessed them trying to incite a riot by throwing bottles at the police.
The whites who protest in the daytime are also peaceful and they want the truth. Some of them know that there are some issues with the police that must be addressed. I talked to a white guy from Oakland, who is part of a movement that was protesting to get justice for Oscar Grant ( the young father who was shot in the back while laying face down in handcuffs at the BART station.)

There are also whites who come out at night and they are anarchists. There's a guy that the local news has interviewed from Austin, TX. This same guy has been arrested 3 times!!

Actually, instead of being called anarchists, these people should be called thugs or animals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2014, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Missouri
592 posts, read 719,374 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The last tidbit of news I saw on it showed the entry points of the bullets along Mr. Brown's right arm, and all of them entered through the top of the forearm, not the bottom. If he had been holding his hands up, these entry wounds would have come from the underside of his arms.
Did you watch the press conference with Dr. Baden?

If you have, then you would know that he did not rule it out that Brown had his hands raised. (He also had a hand wound).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Missouri
592 posts, read 719,374 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_565 View Post
Although I have never had any run-ins with the law,(as a black woman) I firmly believe that many police throughout the U.S. have bigoted/racist beliefs. Ultimately, their beliefs directly impact how they deal with blacks.

Although blacks are not a monolithic group, many believe the cop murdered Michael Brown. I've heard the cop's version of the incident, as well as several witnesses versions. I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle, but I am not buying that Brown would be so foolish to actually charge someone who had his gun drawn and had already shot rounds at him. This doesn't make any sense.

I believe he stopped running and turned to face the officer with his hands raised, but the officer proceeded to execute him and felt completely justified to do so.
I agree, that makes no sense why an unarmed person would turn around and attack someone who is shooting at them from 30 or so feet away. The part I don't understand is why the officer would put his vehicle in reverse to pull up so close to TWO suspects. He put himself in danger and escalated the situation by doing so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:22 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top