Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 01:18 PM

150 posts, read 244,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Al Sharpton is one of the greatest human rights advocates of the 20th century. Don't try and discredit him as well. Selma wasn't the only event in the still ongoing civil rights movement.

This has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read on the internet!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, but if anything, the middle class are taking more of a beating to benefit the poor. National health care (which I support), higher taxes on the middle class, more tax credits and refunds for the poor etc.

The problem is that the poor don’t have a clue about any of this because they are so out of touch with anything outside of what they hear on the streets.

For example. Obamacare is actually a good thing for those living in poverty. Chances are it will cost them little to nothing. But all they see is that it “might” cost them or when they sign up , they don’t understand that they will get it free or very cheap when they file taxes. They don’t see how much Obamacare will cost an average middle class family both in health care options and the financial hit. They just see it as another tax on the poor. The only way to provide health care for the poor is to tax the middle class though. So the middle class feel as if they are paying for something that the poor don’t even want and are certainly not appreciative.

But to simplify your question. Do what I did. Make your life better and put yourself in a better situation to succeed. I’m now firmly in the middle class. I can’t get any help to put my kids through college, I pay a ridiculous tax rate that keeps going up and if I so much as miss a ten dollar invoice, creditors will come after me.

If you are poor and a minority, you can almost always get a free education, you can now get nearly free health care, there are many programs out there that will grant you money to buy a first home etc etc

Or you can run the streets at 3AM and steal candy bars and liquor from QuikTrip and blame the cops, the middle class, white people and whoever else you are taught to blame for your situation.
This is exactly why, as a whole, they will never pull themselves up. They've been taught that every little problem they have in life is not their fault, but the fault of a white man. Until they take a hard look at their culture, it will never get better for them.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Yep, sure is awesome that I never met a racist, bigoted person in LA! Get over your obsession topospace, you're on the level of those you mock...

Uh oh, internet stalker! Don't you have anything better to do? BTW, I'm above the scumbag looters in Ferguson.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
This has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read on the internet!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad I made you laugh, now you can go back to watching Bill O' Reilly.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:39 PM

112 posts, read 131,680 times
[quote=kcmo]

Quote:
The problem is that the poor don’t have a clue about any of this because they are so out of touch with anything outside of what they hear on the streets.For example. Obamacare is actually a good thing for those living in poverty. Chances are it will cost them little to nothing.
The indigent already qualify for a program known as "medicaid." The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), was actually created to help low income and middle class people afford health care coverage, not offered by their employers.

Quote:
I’m now firmly in the middle class. I can’t get any help to put my kids through college, I pay a ridiculous tax rate that keeps going up and if I so much as miss a ten dollar invoice, creditors will come after me.
Welcome to the club. I'm also firmly middle class (I earn a six figure salary). Since I'm single (w/out children), much of my income goes toward paying federal and state taxes.

Quote:
If you are poor and a minority, you can almost always get a free education, you can now get nearly free health care, there are many programs out there that will grant you money to buy a first home etc etc
This is completely false. The truth of the matter is, one must work extremely hard to earn scholarship money. Contrary to popular belief, money is not freely given, just because the student is black. If your statement was true, the average black college grad, wouldn't have more student loan debt than the average white college grad. Check out the following article: Student Debt Is Hurting Homeownership For Blacks More than Whites - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Also, I do not personally know of any special programs which exclusively provide free money for first homes or healthcare to minorities. Can you post any credible sources which substantiate your claim?

Quote:
Or you can run the streets at 3AM and steal candy bars and liquor from QuikTrip and blame the cops, the middle class, white people and whoever else you are taught to blame for your situation.
Most working class and middle class white people spend little time focusing on the illicit wall street bankers. I'm not sure if you realize this, but the U.S. is pyramidal in structure. Meaning, the base of the pyramid is occupied by the 99% (which includes you and I), while those who truly own all of the resources and wealth are at the top (where they plan to remain).

Every American lost money during the housing bust. The only group who profited greatly were the bankers. This is not really a black and white issue, but some would prefer to focus on those who steal candy bars or liquor, as opposed to those who steal billions every day from the U.S. economy.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:42 PM

[quote=Christine_565;36166364]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo

The indigent already qualify for a program known as "medicaid." The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), was actually created to help low income and middle class people afford health care coverage, not offered by their employers.

Welcome to the club. I'm also firmly middle class (I earn a six figure salary). Since I'm single (w/out children), much of my income goes toward paying federal and state taxes.

This is completely false. If it were true, almost every "minority" would be in college getting a free education. The truth of the matter is, one must work extremely hard to earn scholarship money. Contrary to popular belief money is not freely given, just because the student is black. If your statement was true, the average black college grad, wouldn't have more student loan debt than the average white college grad. Check out the following article: Student Debt Is Hurting Homeownership For Blacks More than Whites - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Also, I do not personally know of any special programs which exclusively provide free money for first homes or healthcare to minorities (or blacks in particular). Can you post any credible sources which substantiate your claim?
You hit the nail on the head. It takes hard work, which is something sorely lacking in their community.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:43 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
What about the dozen or more wittiness that back up the cops story almost to the letter?
Are these witnesses Ferguson residents who saw with their own eyes?

Old 08-20-2014, 01:48 PM

112 posts, read 131,680 times
[quote=topospace;36166431]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_565 View Post

You hit the nail on the head. It takes hard work, which is something sorely lacking in their community.
For the record, I'm African American and belong to a solidly middle class black community. Hard work is certainly not lacking from my community.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:49 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,676,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
Uh oh, internet stalker! Don't you have anything better to do? BTW, I'm above the scumbag looters in Ferguson.
Look up what stalking means son

Old 08-20-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Look up what stalking means son

Oh no, internet tough guy called me son .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis