Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I jokingly said to my husband, "Well, the next thing will be loud-mouthed Al Sharpton showing up to cause more commotion, instead of allowing locals to deal with this." Guess it wasn't a joke...
The family invited Al Sharpton to get involved.

This was in the plan yesterday after the press conference with St. Louis county police department.

Mr. Sharpton just doesn't show up for anything. There is always a invite from the victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 09:25 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
This doesn't do anything to promote north county for investment. Do we think Quick Trip will be willing to reopen? I don't think I would.

This was the first riot I think that the area had. I think things have been brewing for a long time. Not only locally but nationally with recent events in New York and the frustration with the handling of the Trevon Martin case in Florida.

Judging by the comments on twitter there are many people outraged and they should be. We should see the same outrage with the violence of any sort.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:51 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
As a North County resident- last night was absolutely terrifying. My husband and I were up until 3am listening to an online police scanner and reading updates. When the trouble crossed North of I-270 into Florissant... I can't even begin to tell you how unnerving that was

What I find unbelievable is the fact that this morning, rioters are trying to defend their actions in the news, saying this "needed to happen". No, it did not need to happen. We still don't have all the facts from the investigation, and even if we did, there would be no excuse for this.

What they fail to seem to understand, is that by doing this, they are only fueling racial stereotypes and hurting their OWN community.

Since last night's drama holds the accolade of the biggest riot in St. Louis in over half a century (according to the news), it will not only discourage businesses like QT from rebuilding, but will discourage new business as well. This will hurt property values, further hurt the already dwindling reputation of the area, and like Dawn10am said, it doesn't help Ferguson's revitalization efforts, either.

I'm so tired and angry right now- not at the police, or the Michael Brown situation, but angry at the rioters for reacting this way to the kid's death. Totally ridiculous.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:06 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,632,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
This doesn't do anything to promote north county for investment. Do we think Quick Trip will be willing to reopen? I don't think I would.

This was the first riot I think that the area had. I think things have been brewing for a long time. Not only locally but nationally with recent events in New York and the frustration with the handling of the Trevon Martin case in Florida.

Judging by the comments on twitter there are many people outraged and they should be. We should see the same outrage with the violence of any sort.
You're right,St.Louis is not known for riots. I think the last one were the election day riots of 1854 and the East St.Louis riot of 1917.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:51 AM

272 posts, read 786,529 times
Here's something that could be of interest. LA during and 20 years after the Rodney King riots.
LA Riots - Then & Now | Los Angeles News and Events | LA Weekly

Old 08-11-2014, 11:46 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
I wonder who owned the Quik Trip?

Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,481 times
First off, was anyone injured or killed?

Second off, this is going to be a disaster for North County and the region as a whole. Prepare for a NoCo exodus. North City is bad and now it's going to spread. This is horrible for our reputation nationwide as a metro area.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:29 PM

68 posts, read 119,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
First off, was anyone injured or killed?

Second off, this is going to be a disaster for North County and the region as a whole. Prepare for a NoCo exodus. North City is bad and now it's going to spread. This is horrible for our reputation nationwide as a metro area.

I agree. It sure is. I feel bad for the older people that stayed too long in the area trying to make it work.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:47 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
Earlier Sunday, Chief Jon Belmar of the St. Louis County Police Department said the incident started when a Ferguson officer encountered Brown and another male on the street near an apartment complex. One male pushed the officer into his police vehicle, Belmar said. The men had a struggle inside the car, Belmar said, and at some point a man — it was unclear whether it was Brown — reached for the officer's weapon. One shot was fired inside the vehicle. The fight moved outside the squad car and Brown suffered fatal gunshot wounds about 35 feet from the vehicle, Belmar said. The second person has not been arrested, and police are not sure whether he was armed.

This is what I read from a news source (no it was NOT FOX news either, it was USA Today and don't attack the messenger). Still it was tragic that the youth was shot and killed. This needs to be investigated further to determine exactly what happened. Meanwhile, the people in the neighborhood need to chill, stop rioting and stop automatically thinking this was done maliciously....

Old 08-11-2014, 12:55 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkeleyKid View Post
I agree. It sure is. I feel bad for the older people that stayed too long in the area trying to make it work.
What about the young families, mine included, that moved to the area to try and make it work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis