Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:46 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Realize though that in the last 20 years, Ferguson has flipped from a 75% white town to a 70% black town from massive and rapid white flight. And, along with Florissant, they are one of the oldest (in age of officers) departments in the region. A lot of those officers were likely hired when the demographics of Ferguson were very different.

And frankly, even before this no one wanted to work for Ferguson. Black officers coming out of academy here are heavily recruited by quality departments with higher pay and have zero incentive to ever work for Ferguson.
I grew up in Ferguson. It's was really great community in many ways still is.

One major draw backs to Ferguson 20 years ago was the racist police department. I can remember as kids walking to January Wabash park and how nasty the reputation of the police department was. Never had direct encounter with them until I started driving. Even then I had more issues with Calverton Park then Ferguson. This is not anything new nor is it just Ferguson or even just Missouri.

When a police force looses respect for the community they are paid to protect and serve, the citizens won't respect them. We all have to acknowledge the issue and deal with things as they are to make them better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 08:14 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
What I saw today is that the eyewitness reports do not match the known facts in the case. I am thinking some "eyewitnesses" are fabricating reports of what happened in order to enhance their version of events. And it is absolutely normal to NOT give the names of the officer involved. That is just routine protocol, I think, for the safety of the officer. In this case there have been death threats and threats of violence, with people being encouraged to assault certain individuals associated with the PD, so I think that's the right choice.

I don't think bringing Al Sharpton in helps in any way. All he is going to do is cause further division.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:15 PM

208 posts, read 236,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think bringing Al Sharpton in helps in any way. All he is going to do is cause further division.
Well, that's his job. And he gets paid very well for it.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:54 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
What I saw today is that the eyewitness reports do not match the known facts in the case. I am thinking some "eyewitnesses" are fabricating reports of what happened in order to enhance their version of events. And it is absolutely normal to NOT give the names of the officer involved. That is just routine protocol, I think, for the safety of the officer. In this case there have been death threats and threats of violence, with people being encouraged to assault certain individuals associated with the PD, so I think that's the right choice.

Serious question. What contradiction is there? Please share? From what I can see the picture is coming together just fine.

What did Al Sharpton say or do to cause division and who is he dividing? The grandfather was the one who asked that he be brought in. They need all the resources and help to get the case put together right so if there was criminal actions on behalf the officer he can be held accountable. If the law needs to be changed they could possibly know how to go about taking thing on and being productive.

The only division I see happening is between the community and police department and that's been done way before this. If you're writing about a Black and White division then you need to get off your key board and turn off your TV and get out and talk to normal people. I personally know of many White people who are asking questions about this situation. Don't forget Ferguson has White residents who are concerned about the safety of their friends and neighbors too. Some has been protesting as well. Few have been arrested. The only people who are divided are the ones who are not open enough to wait for the truth and those who are racist.

Even if the county wanted to release the names of the officer who pulled the trigger they couldn't because of liability reasons. If the attorney goes through the courts they have already stated that they will comply and that would not be a liability from what little I know.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 08-13-2014 at 09:02 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 08:55 PM

268 posts, read 344,720 times
Quote:

oh please if folks stop acting stupid al would be out of a job plus stl has always been divided and you know it

Old 08-13-2014, 09:02 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
...plus stl has always been divided and you know it
Ok,

St. Louis has a long history of being segregated .... and it still is.

The fact that it has tradition doesn't necessarily make it desirable.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
"And it is absolutely normal to NOT give the names of the officer involved. That is just routine protocol, I think, for the safety of the officer"

Not really. If the parents charge criminal or even civil suits they HAVE to release the name. With all court cases being pretty much open that pretty much releases the name. Now they don't have to release the address.

Remember the Rodney King case? It didn't take a rocket scientist to find out the police chiefs name and levy the heat on him. Much of this trickles down. Phone calls are dirt cheap these days, boycotts can happen at the drop of a hat and emails can be endless.

The police are really screwing up here and making very critical mistakes that will easily cost their jobs and probably the police chief jobs. It IS legal to record police officers...period. If you are in public and police are then there is no real legal recourse. If you arrest someone you have to read miranda rights and they aren't doing that either. You have to say what they are being charged with. You have to give a name too.

What specifically is the difference between these police and Russian separatist gangs that invaded Ukraine? Hiding faces, not giving names, armed and not following others. Pretty much the same thing.

Worse comes to worse just end up defunding the police department and invoke lyngstrata. Resend the federal policy that allowed police departments to obtain such weapons from the military.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Serious question. What contradiction is there? Please share? From what I can see the picture is coming together just fine.

What did Al Sharpton say or do to cause division and who is he dividing? The grandfather was the one who asked that he be brought in. They need all the resources and help to get the case put together right so if there was criminal actions on behalf the officer he can be held accountable. If the law needs to be changed they could possibly know how to go about taking thing on and being productive.

The only division I see happening is between the community and police department and that's been done way before this. If you're writing about a Black and White division then you need to get off your key board and turn off your TV and get out and talk to normal people. I personally know of many White people who are asking questions about this situation. Don't forget Ferguson has White residents who are concerned about the safety of their friends and neighbors too. Some has been protesting as well. Few have been arrested. The only people who are divided are the ones who are not open enough to wait for the truth and those who are racist.

Even if the county wanted to release the names of the officer who pulled the trigger they couldn't because of liability reasons. If the attorney goes through the courts they have already stated that they will comply and that would not be a liability from what little I know.
Well obviously, since the police aren't saying what the evidence is, which is normal protocol, I don't KNOW what the contradiction is. I just know they said that the eyewitness accounts are not matching up with the facts/evidence of the case. Just like when there is a murder investigation, the police don't release all the information and that way if someone CLAIMS to have knowledge of the murder, but their version of the story doesn't match the evidence, you know they are lying.

All Al Sharpton has to do is show up and he causes division. He does it everywhere he goes. All he and Jesse Jackson EVER do is cause more racial tension.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:19 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,632,318 times
I think they could at least give the autopsy report. They said maybe in a few weeks, sounds suspicious to me.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:27 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,592 times
So when is this going to be over? Don't people have lives they need to get back to?

I just don't see how this could possibly end well. Whether the cop was justified or unjustified, the violent reaction has been disastrous for the black community and is only going to make racial divisions worse. Ferguson's 30% white population is going to drop to about 0% white as the remaining middle class (of both races) flees even faster than before. Then the businesses will close up shop and pretty much all of North County will be a slum. It really is a lose-lose situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis