Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:50 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times

Advertisements

[quote=HeadedWest;36076100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Autopsies take several weeks. /QUOTE]

Actually, autopsies take an hour or two.
The physical work yes, and Mike Brown's body was already released to his family. All the lab work takes ~3 weeks though.
Notice the family had an independent autopsy performed already, and nothing has come out from that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 02:23 AM

268 posts, read 344,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well obviously, since the police aren't saying what the evidence is, which is normal protocol, I don't KNOW what the contradiction is. I just know they said that the eyewitness accounts are not matching up with the facts/evidence of the case. Just like when there is a murder investigation, the police don't release all the information and that way if someone CLAIMS to have knowledge of the murder, but their version of the story doesn't match the evidence, you know they are lying.

All Al Sharpton has to do is show up and he causes division. He does it everywhere he goes. All he and Jesse Jackson EVER do is cause more racial tension.

the tension comes from racist whites not wanting to called out on their bs. white supremacists are the ones who got a problem with him and jesse

Old 08-14-2014, 02:33 AM

268 posts, read 344,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
So when is this going to be over? Don't people have lives they need to get back to?

I just don't see how this could possibly end well. Whether the cop was justified or unjustified, the violent reaction has been disastrous for the black community and is only going to make racial divisions worse. Ferguson's 30% white population is going to drop to about 0% white as the remaining middle class (of both races) flees even faster than before. Then the businesses will close up shop and pretty much all of North County will be a slum. It really is a lose-lose situation.

nope too much money to be made there plus reality is whites took the jobs out of urban america a long time ago,and race relations have been at the bottom of the pit in stl and america eons ago look how stupid the whites acted over the rise of the black middle class can you say white flight?

Old 08-14-2014, 02:36 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
The way I see it, if the policeman's version of events is 100% correct, after the guy broke free and ran any threat to the officer was over. The shooting was unjustifiable.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:52 AM

592 posts, read 802,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
She was not shot by the police. She got caught in the line of fire when a small group of people shot at the police. It has not made the news much, but the police have been taking a lot of gunfire every night.

This is not rational thinking. This is believing whatever the media tells you.. I've been in the front line of these protests and trust me, it's not being portrayed accurately in the media...They are sensationalizing the situation to keep the story going and keep the focus off of the real issue. An UNARMED teenager was killed, shot multiple times. Do you really think they would be firing tear gas if they are taking gunfire??? Hell no! They are not carrying riot gear and m4 assault rifles for decoration. If they were taking heavy gunfire, they would be shooting to kill.. Also, the girl who was allegedly shot in the air, says that she was hit by a tear gas bomb according to her instagram. I wish i had a link to it right now.

Also, this area is surrounded by militarized swat units, armored tanks, and helicopters all with spotlights. Nobody would be able to shoot the cops and get away with it in this area. These stories only come out after the news media has been cleared from the area.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
nope too much money to be made there plus reality is whites took the jobs out of urban america a long time ago,and race relations have been at the bottom of the pit in stl and america eons ago look how stupid the whites acted over the rise of the black middle class can you say white flight?
Not only does your post sound delusional, it reads like one, long run-on sentence.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:29 AM

662 posts, read 1,048,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Not only does your post sound delusional, it reads like one, long run-on sentence.
Delusional how? White flight, red-lining and several other factors have contributed to the race relations in St. Louis today. We're simply seeing the solution as the equation was set up long ago.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:21 AM

592 posts, read 802,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
Delusional how? White flight, red-lining and several other factors have contributed to the race relations in St. Louis today. We're simply seeing the solution as the equation was set up long ago.
Exactly!!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:43 AM

111 posts, read 181,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
I'm black and I live in the area. I have a college degree and I work 45-50 hours a week. I'm disgusted by the looting.. Those people are low-life, self-serving people and I'm glad that over 30 of them were caught and arrested. Please note that most of those people are not even from Ferguson. It's unfortunate that they took advantage of the situation and decided to destroy our community....BUT you cannot classify all black people or all people of Ferguson based on the actions of a few.

Several issues are at play in this situation. The Ferguson police Department does not adequately represent the population they are expected to protect. The population in Ferguson, MO is approx 21,000 people. Of those 21,000 people, 70% are black. There are 53 officers in the Ferguson Police Department. 3 of those officers are black and only one of them is a black male. This is a 95% white police force representing a population that is 70% black. They have no connection to the people they are supposed to protect, this is a problem especially in a city like St. Louis, which is ranked as the 6th most segregated city in the country. This police is set up to collect money, not to help people. I've attached a file that shows the break down of how they interact with white citizens vs black citizens. They do not have any dash cams in their vehicles, you should think about that. That's a problem!
My friend and I were stuck on the side of a fairly busy road in Ferguson, waiting for AAA for 2 hours. More than 9 squad cars drove past us doing rounds and never stopped once to see if we needed help!!

People are upset because there is a trend of police officers abusing their power AND getting away with it.
If you are not familiar, please look up these cases: Sean Bell, Oscar Grant, Amadou Diallo, Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, and now Michael Brown. I guarantee if white teenagers were unarmed and being killed like this, the officers would be prosecuted. I mean James Holmes killed 12 people and injured more than 50 without a doubt and he's still alive to live through a fair trial? How does that make sense?! And that was white on white crime!

The body of Michael Brown was left in the street for 4 hours....meanwhile, the officer in question was allowed to leave the scene. I don't even know how that's allowed if this is an investigation. The lead witness has not been interviewed by the police yet...They still haven't released the name of the officer or any information about him. But they showed 10 of the looters pictures and names on the news.
Things are not adding up and people need to ask questions and think critically.

I attended one of the demonstrations and it was very peaceful. And contrary to what many believe, there were also Caucasian people in attendance.... this is race driven but we are dealing with a bigger issue(elite vs everyone else). The demonstration was very peaceful, then law enforcement ordered the media out of the area. After that happened, they claim that violence broke out. That just doesn't make sense. An area that is saturated with police presence, armored swat vehicles, helicopter spotlights and military weapons breaks out in random violence?

I feel sorry for any racists on either side who can't wake up and see that something strange is going on..
You're bias comes screaming through...Are you saying only Blacks can represent other Blacks? That is not what a Democracy is. I care about a persons actions and World view, not his skin color.
The body was on the street for 4 hours...So what? There are many reasons this could have happened. Maybe the investigation wasn't complete. Maybe they were concerned about their personal safety because of the chaotic situation at the scene.

and the name of the officer SHOULD NOT be released.His life would be in danger.
There are 2 different situations here. The shooting...and the rioting....
No excuse for the rioting. They are stinkin thieves and arsonists...lowlifes...and they are making the rest of society even MORE disgusted with Black disfunction in this country.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:55 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
What I saw today is that the eyewitness reports do not match the known facts in the case. I am thinking some "eyewitnesses" are fabricating reports of what happened in order to enhance their version of events. And it is absolutely normal to NOT give the names of the officer involved. That is just routine protocol, I think, for the safety of the officer. In this case there have been death threats and threats of violence, with people being encouraged to assault certain individuals associated with the PD, so I think that's the right choice.

I don't think bringing Al Sharpton in helps in any way. All he is going to do is cause further division.
What are the known facts? And why do ALL of the eyewitness reports that aren't from the Police Department tell the exact same story, with amazing consistency? As an outsider looking in, with the limited news coverage (because police are blocking journalists from getting into town supposedly, and arresting and detaining reporters), that's all I've gathered so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis