Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:15 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times

Advertisements

North County is going to be dead in the water after all of this when it comes to the locals, but the metro itself will probably continue to grow very slowly, as it's been doing for awhile now. I doubt it'll have an easy time attracting businesses and transplants for the near future from elsewhere in the country though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 11:21 AM

662 posts, read 1,048,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
This is crazy, because eyewitness Piaget Crenshaw has video of the scene right after the shooting occurred. In the video, officer Wilson is standing next to another officer apparently explaining what had happened. But, it doesn't look like any EMT's showed up to treat the officer or to check the victim for any sign of life.
Interesting. I always find it weird how someone was ''injured'' but there didn't seem to be an ambulance or anyone on sight.

Can't wait until we get a photoshopped picture with ''Day of Shooting'' time-stamped at the bottom.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Whites are among the protesters and should be. Excessive use of force by police and trampling on constitutional rights is not a race issue. It happens to all races. In some communities the "usual suspects" are black while in others they are Hispanic or white or homeless or mentally ill. I live in Albuquerque where there have been 30 police killings in recent years. I used to live in Ferguson and grew up a 'stone's throw' from Ferguson and Dellwood. Police in the St. Louis suburban municipalities have always been known for having an attitude but they were mostly traffic enforcers and speed trap cowboys when I lived there.

The nightly parade of looters and rowdies is diminishing the effect of the protests. It is hard to take it seriously when they are wearing custom printed t-shirts. The media needs to pack up and go home at night...it is not news anymore and has left Michael Brown as a footnote. Pretty soon we will have "Ferguson: The Musical"

Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 AM

68 posts, read 119,215 times
I wouldn't be surprised to see community boundaries redrawn, police districts disbanded and reorganized, even communities renamed to start anew and help rid the stigma.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 AM

592 posts, read 802,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Whites are among the protesters and should be. Excessive use of force by police and trampling on constitutional rights is not a race issue. It happens to all races. In some communities the "usual suspects" are black while in others they are Hispanic or white or homeless or mentally ill. I live in Albuquerque where there have been 30 police killings in recent years. I used to live in Ferguson and grew up a 'stone's throw' from Ferguson and Dellwood. Police in the St. Louis suburban municipalities have always been known for having an attitude but they were mostly traffic enforcers and speed trap cowboys when I lived there.

The nightly parade of looters and rowdies is diminishing the effect of the protests. It is hard to take it seriously when they are wearing custom printed t-shirts. The media needs to pack up and go home at night...it is not news anymore and has left Michael Brown as a footnote. Pretty soon we will have "Ferguson: The Musical"
They still are speed trap cowboys. I doubt they receive the proper training to even handle high stress situations like this. The way Ferguson PD has handled this entire situation should be a red flag to everyone....white people included.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
Wow...I watch Cnn...

Apparently you don't. There have been several white protesters shown. Including one(and I found this disturbing) being helped putting a gas mask on and she was clearly several months along in her pregnancy....not too bright.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:51 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Ah... (some not all) real estate agents... don't get me started! But I digress...

Old 08-19-2014, 02:12 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,830 times
The news is showing White People being arrested every night.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Still, just because I'm lazy and I don't want to read through a zillion pages of thread...

What is it, the officer is actually accused of? (I don't have cable TV, so I don't have the wall to wall coverage going on in my house)

Is it deliberately shooting someone in the back in broad daylight with an eyewitness (Mike Brown's friend) allowed to live to tell the tale? Does the officer have a history of brutality or disciplinary action on record with the department?
Is he accused of being racist and choosing to work in a predominately black neighborhood so he can harass the citizens there?

Don't get me wrong... I like to think most police officers in general want to do the right things, but I also know there are some who come into the field with "power trip" attitudes. Even where I live in South Orange County where the crime rate is pretty low, I had a police officer give me a speeding ticket, (he was playing "hidey cop" where there was no traffic before the mall opened) and he had a real obnoxious "high and mighty" attitude. I really wanted to ask him where he was during rush hour traffic when it would have been like shooting fish in a barrel with so many maniacs driving through there!

Nevertheless, little ol' middle aged white lady me knows he had a gun and handcuffs, so I just kept my mouth shut!

BTW, where I live is near Irvine, Ca. and 20 years ago it was pretty lily white (things have changed since then... 40% Asian, and many middles easterners) and a black coworker told me he used to manage a Carls Jr. fast food restaurant in Irvine and got pulled over so many times for "Driving While Black", that eventually the cops just waved and smiled at him as he drove to work!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:48 PM

317 posts, read 328,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The officers account has so far been pretty sketchy. Not much details. I think if the Ferguson PD had been more forthcoming with info early on and not given people the impression that they were crcling the wagons they could have diffused this volatile situation. Instead they have managed to turn a tragedy into a disaster.

You don't have much experience when it comes to investigating a shooting. These things take time no one in their right mind is going to spew out information in a rapid manner, you have to take your time and go by protocol to decrease or eliminate mistakes in the investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis