Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:42 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,962,037 times

Advertisements

shutting down a highway doesn't get anyone on your side. My guess, the folks who are doing this either think no one is one their side besides them, and that they're going to do whatever they can to get attention...or they think there's no changing the mindset of the people who aren't on their side, so just do whatever you need, even if it doesn't sway folks.

There is legitimate concern (for me) with police brutality. There have been several videos that were released recently depicting incidents where police brutality concerns could be voiced...of course there's the one that has spurred the protest, there was the shooting in North St. Louis, one from Florida, and one in a Walmart store. I was glad to hear that the Ferguson PD is finally wearing body cams, but that should be a national requirement. As lawmakers stated, it's a win/win protecting the officer and the citizens at the same time. Also removes difficulties in court cases etc...I'd also be a 100% support of a pistol operated camera attached similar to a small tactical light on an rail. Camera arms when the weapon is pulled from the holster.

When the police were shutting down the protests on West Florissant, my biggest fear was watching them fire 40mm tear gas canisters into neighborhoods to disperse crowds. The canisters bounce, roll, etc...doesn't take much for one to bounce through a window to a resident's home. I can only imagine my anger, frustration, etc if a tear gas canister was igniting in my living room, then as I evacuate the home having the police order me to return home or be detained...it has the very real potential of being a bit of a conundrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 PM

7,107 posts, read 8,889,434 times
Dawn

Say if they where there targeting peaceful protesters that includes your minister from church, your sons school teacher or your next door neighbor?

Old 09-01-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
shutting down a highway doesn't get anyone on your side. My guess, the folks who are doing this either think no one is one their side besides them, and that they're going to do whatever they can to get attention...or they think there's no changing the mindset of the people who aren't on their side, so just do whatever you need, even if it doesn't sway folks.

There is legitimate concern (for me) with police brutality. There have been several videos that were released recently depicting incidents where police brutality concerns could be voiced...of course there's the one that has spurred the protest, there was the shooting in North St. Louis, one from Florida, and one in a Walmart store. I was glad to hear that the Ferguson PD is finally wearing body cams, but that should be a national requirement. As lawmakers stated, it's a win/win protecting the officer and the citizens at the same time. Also removes difficulties in court cases etc...I'd also be a 100% support of a pistol operated camera attached similar to a small tactical light on an rail. Camera arms when the weapon is pulled from the holster.

When the police were shutting down the protests on West Florissant, my biggest fear was watching them fire 40mm tear gas canisters into neighborhoods to disperse crowds. The canisters bounce, roll, etc...doesn't take much for one to bounce through a window to a resident's home. I can only imagine my anger, frustration, etc if a tear gas canister was igniting in my living room, then as I evacuate the home having the police order me to return home or be detained...it has the very real potential of being a bit of a conundrum.
Great posts.

I don't think the protesters are concerned about what most people think. Some people think what they want and that is that. Do you know what the objective of the protesters are? I just heard what's been communicated on the news and that isn't much.

Blocking a major freeway is a little too drastic for me.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:52 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,735,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Dawn

Say if they where there targeting peaceful protesters that includes your minister from church, your sons school teacher or your next door neighbor?
I think the people who participated in the protests did so at their own risk. Those protests were a volatile situation and repeatedly erupted into violence. It was reasonable for the police to take a firm hand to maintain order because they were on notice that the situation was capable of becoming violent.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 PM

10,000 posts, read 8,515,480 times
St.Louis really isn't the city that you would want to block traffic. I think we have the most impatient drivers in the country. How many times have you been the first car stopped at a red light and the second it turns green some butt hole behind you starts honking his horn because you didn't move fast enough? Stop signs in St.Louis means slow down, they could make a fortune if they moved their red light cameras to the stop signs. I can see accidents and road rage around here if they shut down traffic. Hopefully they're just barking threats.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I think the people who participated in the protests did so at their own risk. Those protests were a volatile situation and repeatedly erupted into violence. It was reasonable for the police to take a firm hand to maintain order because they were on notice that the situation was capable of becoming violent.
The protesters had nothing to do with the rioting! It seems like you are thinking that you had protesters who got mad and started rioting. That is not how it happened.

Do you know why there was massive protesting? I could be wrong so please correct me. Judging from your post you do not connect with the African American community. There is a huge problem with racial profiling that has to be dealt with now! You don't have to be Black to understand the problem but you can't have your head in the sand with the issue. In the United States of America we do have the freedom to protest. We have to stand for what we believe in to make a difference.

Your writing reflects the same thought process of many racist Whites of the 60's. Many stated that the negro protesters deserve the treatment and was referred to as being trouble makers. I don't believe that you don't see the civil rights violations and the lawsuits that are coming from the wrong doing of law enforcement. It's actually giving momentum to the movement.

Being an African American who grew up in Ferguson and having experienced racial profiling by not only Ferguson pd but all over the country. This is an issue that has to be dealt with now. The St. Louis region has a front row seat to a movement. This has the potential to pull people together and it's also exposing people who are bad. Look at the officers who have lost their jobs due to foolery. Look at the exposure Darren Wilson not doing a incident report is bring possible legal consequences. Look at the Brown law that is already gaining momentum. It is all leading to law enforcement reform.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:29 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,753,934 times
Racial profiling or not, stopping traffic the way they did is not the way to work for it. Only imbecilic people would do what they did. And some did do it even though the Brown family asked them to wait, so it also shows that this is not done because of the death of Mike Brown. It was done because they are idiots and only want to start trouble.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:44 PM

150 posts, read 243,120 times
Quote:
I don't see why they will block a major freeway. I think it is taking it too far. There needs to be law enforcement reform and it should have happen 20 years ago.

People are forgetting this is far bigger issue that affects everyone not just the African American community. That is why protesters cross racial lines. If someone drove a tank down your street, you would not be marching?

As far as all the comments about Michael Brown being a thug shows a personal issue of an individual that needs help. Racism is a mental illness!
So someone who robs a convenience store and assaults a store clerk half his size is not a thug? I love how blacks don't consider anything wrong with behavior like this.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
So someone who robs a convenience store and assaults a store clerk half his size is not a thug? I love how blacks don't consider anything wrong with behavior like this.
What does this have to do with the shooting? The question is was officer Wilson justified in firing 11 shots. The convenience store incident has nothing to do with answering the question.

How do you know that Black people don't see a problem with robbing a store? Ferguson pd has already stated that this has nothing to do with the shooting. The market itself want you to forget about it. What's your problem?

Old 09-01-2014, 10:22 PM

150 posts, read 243,120 times
Quote:
What does this have to do with the shooting? The question is was officer Wilson justified in firing 11 shots. The convenience store incident has nothing to do with answering the question.

How do you know that Black people don't see a problem with robbing a store? Ferguson pd has already stated that this has nothing to do with the shooting. The market itself want you to forget about it. What's your problem?

It has everything to do with the shooting. Instead of the "he was a good kid going to college" crap that the black community is trying portray, it supports the story that he was the kind of person that could assault the officer and try to take his gun. As much as it hurts you, that kid was a scumbag and he got himself killed by acting like a thug. If the officer truly felt his life was in danger, then the number of shots is irrelevant.

I've yet to see any black person condemning him for robbing the store. Instead, they are just trying to pretend it didn't happen. It certainly seems that his behavior is seen as okay in the black community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis