Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:22 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times

Advertisements

I'm genuinely worried about Ferguson. The Livestream broadcasts show that this is a town on the cusp of big trouble. The protesters crossed a line when they issued death threats against the Faraci's Pizza Restaurant. If you think these are "peaceful protests," I urge you to watch the Livestream broadcasts at night.

I lived in the St. Louis area for many years, and worked there for a short time (in Ferguson). It's a great little town and I have many happy memories of it. However...as a lawyer's wife, I took some time and read through the city code, and found that these nightly "protests" are violating many, many existing laws.

You can read the laws for yourself here: https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10768

Sec. 29-83: Private peace disturbance.

(a) A person commits the crime of private peace disturbance if he is on private property and unreasonably and purposely causes alarm to another person or persons on the same premises by:

(1) Threatening to commit a crime against any person; or

(2) Fighting; or

(3) Loud noise; or

(4) Offensive language addressed in a face-to-face manner to a specific individual and uttered under circumstances which are likely to produce an immediate aggressive response from a reasonable recipient.
If you read on from Sec 29-82 through Sec. 29-92, you'll find that these protestors are violating *many* ordinances involving inciting to riot (gathering with six or more people with discussion of violence), noise, foul language, obstructing pedestrian traffic to private property, offensive language, and on and on and on. These are the LAWS of Ferguson.

To find the specific ordinances, click on that link and go to Chapter 29 (left hand column), and then click on Article V (Offenses against public order).

So that reflects the laws in place in Ferguson.

My question is, why are these laws not being observed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 11:58 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Rosemaryt,

There has been so many laws broken by so many people on a daily basis not only in Ferguson. And they do get away with it.

By the time the ACLU, DOJ and everyone else gets finished with this, Ferguson is going to have a new police department and everything else.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:01 PM

68 posts, read 119,364 times
....Along with a new name. Ferguson will be no more.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:36 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkeleyKid View Post

It's just as well, so many people keep spelling it wrong anyway.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:45 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkeleyKid View Post
The whole Ferguson debacle has pushed me toward thinking that we should just merge the whole county into a single city that actually has the resources to deal with this stuff. I always thought we had too many postage-stamp munis around here, but I figured the 25k person towns like Ferguson at least could handle their crap. Apparently they don't, and it affects the whole region.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:28 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,286 times
Probably because they're afraid it might be "racist" to do so. Or they're afraid that it could set off even more violent protests. Either way, they're afraid. Some of these protesters (SOME, not all), like to resort to violence and intimidation to get what they want, and a lot of times it's directed at completely unrelated parties, like small businesses and commuters on Hanley/70. You're right to be worried about Ferguson. Expect the trickle of the middle class out of North County to become a waterfall.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:41 AM

68 posts, read 119,364 times
Fence it off. Ferguson sounds like a good name for a correctional facility.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
The whole Ferguson debacle has pushed me toward thinking that we should just merge the whole county into a single city that actually has the resources to deal with this stuff. I always thought we had too many postage-stamp munis around here, but I figured the 25k person towns like Ferguson at least could handle their crap. Apparently they don't, and it affects the whole region.
It is actually easy to handle as smaller governments. Memphis is an example of this. The city of Memphis annexed everything they could and now there is a much larger area out of control than it could have been.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:32 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Probably because they're afraid it might be "racist" to do so. Or they're afraid that it could set off even more violent protests. Either way, they're afraid. Some of these protesters (SOME, not all), like to resort to violence and intimidation to get what they want, and a lot of times it's directed at completely unrelated parties, like small businesses and commuters on Hanley/70. You're right to be worried about Ferguson. Expect the trickle of the middle class out of North County to become a waterfall.
They've tried to consolidate before. The argument isn't that it's racist to do so. It has always been that the wealthier areas have no reason to merge. If you're in a "point of sale" sales tax city like Richmond Heights, Clayton, etc, you're not going to want to share with areas facing decline and worse socioeconomic conditions. Merging the police and fire service would be helpful, it seems like every small community in the county has someone important's nephew in uniform drawing a decent wage when in all probability, the officer is probably barely qualified to be a stocker at Home Depot.

The middle class trickle out of North County has been going on for years. In a lot of it, there isn't a lot of middle class left. What I expect is to see a working class waterfall out of most of north county. That's when things will get really interesting. Will St. Charles Co. be as gung-ho about "any new development is good development" when the people looking at those developments, ahem, seem a little more "diverse" than they used to? Will the poor in north city move out to the county to fill the void left by working class departures?

The city and county seem to be at least entertaining the idea of some shared services in no small part thanks to the decline of the county reducing their bargaining power. If the city loses a big segment of its poor to north county and north county loses more of its middle and working class to St. Charles county, how does that play into the relationships and cooperation of all three? 15 years from now, I could easily see a scenario in which the city would want nothing to do with north county the same way the rest of St Louis county wants nothing to do with north county.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:22 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
15 years from now, I could easily see a scenario in which the city would want nothing to do with north county the same way the rest of St Louis county wants nothing to do with north county.
I would agree with that. I grew up in Ferguson and my old neighborhood has changed so much. Only 2 homes are occupied by residents who where there 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am
Probably because they're afraid it might be "racist" to do so. Or they're afraid that it could set off even more violent protests. Either way, they're afraid. Some of these protesters (SOME, not all), like to resort to violence and intimidation to get what they want, and a lot of times it's directed at completely unrelated parties, like small businesses and commuters on Hanley/70.
Dawn, There is too much fear involved. People in areas like St. Charles and other exurbs seem more fearful of African Americans than others who choose to live in diverse neighborhoods. Xenophobia is alive and well in some areas of the suburbs.

When has violence been directed towards commuters at Hanley/70? Once again most of the violence is coming from people outside of Ferguson.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 10-01-2014 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis