Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:58 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times

Advertisements

Bi-Racial couples and families or Multi-Race couples anywhere are accepted by many, most, but not by some other ignorant people. I don't think St. Louis is any different than many other major metro areas. St. Louis is a Metro of a little under 3 million people. You will do just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 03:50 AM

19 posts, read 204,849 times
My husband is white and I'm half chinese; we haven't had any issues here. In fact, people frequently compliment our daughter! :-)

Old 01-08-2008, 12:13 PM

572 posts, read 1,994,747 times
I have never seen anyone display a confederate flag in the city of St. Louis. I would go as far to say that it would cause problems and be dangerous for that household.

The more diverse areas would be south St. Louis city and the inner ring suburbs of the western corridor. (University City, Richmond Hghts, etc)

Welcome to Saint Louis. Get invovled and enjoy all the city has to offer.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:30 PM

7 posts, read 26,133 times
My advice would be to live in the middle of the city near Highway 40 around Historic Shaw/Tower Grove which are the most racially diverse neighborhoods (and really wonderful). St. Louis has a north/south racial divide. Poorest whites are farther south, and poorest blacks are farthest north in the city. The middle is racially integrated.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:36 AM

13 posts, read 49,369 times
I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder...

I'm caucasian as is my fiance so I guess I wouldn't meet this issue "face to face," but I have lived in cities where lines are drawn for all to see and St. Louis is NOT like that.

Mahalemama is right, west county is predominantly white but not "exclusive" that I have heard. The Tower Grove area is liberally mixed with caucasian and black (and mocha, and latte... though missing an Asian influence, now that I think about it. StL City schools have kind of a bad rep, but there are scads of private and magnet schools. There may also be other options that I don't know about because I don't have children of my own. I *have* heard good things about the Lindberg school district in South County (which is suburban without being far from the city).

Regardless, c'mon along. As long as you don't trample my garden (too much...), you are welcome to be my neighbor!

Old 01-26-2008, 05:22 PM

17 posts, read 53,837 times
Youll find that STL is a very diverse area but there are still some really ignorant people here. The areas that i find are more accepting are St. Charles County area; St. Peters or Ofallon areas. There are lots of biracial couples out there, not to mention they have excellent school systems. But in all honesty and as a realtor I can't tell you to move there. I will, however,tell you to move where ever you find you like, that meets your needs, and you are comfortable. Hope i can be of help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebidw View Post
We are moving from the Detroit area to the St. Louis area. My wife, daughter and I are caucasion and we have a son that is bi-racial. We want to ensure that we're moving to an area that would be accepting of our bi-racial family. We understand that there will always be people that see problems with this, but what is the overall feeling in the area? We obviously would prefer to stay away from an area full of confederate flags and such
We would like to welcome feedback regarding our concerns.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:27 PM

148 posts, read 503,630 times
You shouldn't have any problems in St. Louis
I'm black-hispanic and I pay a lot of attention to this issue.

I moved from Kansas City to Maryland Heights where I lived for a couple of years and it took me a while to get used to seeing so many black people.
I believe KC is about 30% black and St. Louis is about 50%.

I'm saying this, because one day I drove out towards Kansas City and stopped in a Wal-Mart in a small town and the first thing that I thought was:
"Holy crap, there's no black people in this town"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunda_henderson View Post
The areas that i find are more accepting are St. Charles County area; St. Peters or Ofallon areas.
I'm not going to disagree with you,
but I just have to point out that it seems to me like almost everybody in those areas are white.

Based on wikipedia St. Charles County is 95% white, 3% black and 2% hispanic.

Last edited by Danilo-11; 01-26-2008 at 05:37 PM..

Old 01-26-2008, 06:44 PM

17 posts, read 53,837 times
You know one thing they don't always tell you about census is sometimes you have to chose a side. There are several people in those areas that are "white" when in fact they are biracial and raised by their caucasian parent or other. i have been faced with this issue all my life and my mother also because we have a very mixed background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilo-11 View Post
You shouldn't have any problems in St. Louis
I'm black-hispanic and I pay a lot of attention to this issue.
I moved from Kansas City to Maryland Heights where I lived for a couple of years and it took me a while to get used to seeing so many black people.
I believe KC is about 30% black and St. Louis is about 50%.

I'm saying this, because one day I drove out towards Kansas City and stopped in a Wal-Mart in a small town and the first thing that I thought was:
"Holy crap, there's no black people in this town"

I'm not going to disagree with you,
but I just have to point out that it seems to me like almost everybody in those areas are white.

Based on wikipedia St. Charles County is 95% white, 3% black and 2% hispanic.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 11,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunda_henderson View Post
Youll find that STL is a very diverse area but there are still some really ignorant people here. The areas that i find are more accepting are St. Charles County area; St. Peters or Ofallon areas. There are lots of biracial couples out there, not to mention they have excellent school systems. But in all honesty and as a realtor I can't tell you to move there. I will, however,tell you to move where ever you find you like, that meets your needs, and you are comfortable. Hope i can be of help.
Saint Charles is a very nice place to live. There are many interracial couples and bi-racial people in the area. In the late seventies, however, Saint Charles city was still very segregated. Many black families lived in on Washington St.,close to Lindenwood University; "The Hill", which is the neighbhorhood across from Blanchette Park, or in Powell Terrace, which is a neighbhorhood just north of Booneslick and Cunningham. Thes areas have always been historically black, but now have people of all races that are "low income". You will still hear names of the same black families that have lived in Saint Charles for the last 50 years within interracial and bi-racial communities, such as: Hunn, Hayden, Brown, Steele, Baker, Thomas, Clark, and Moore. Other black families migrated to Saint Charles from Saint Louis and Chicago, in the mid eighties. Saint Charles continues to diversify, with people from all races and ethnicities, due to its "easy-living" environment. Its convienient and affordable, and a wonderful place to live. Lindenwood University's recent expansion also creates a very desireable atmosphere in Saint Charles, as well as recent developments along Main Street.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I'm no sure I'd agree that Lindenwood's expansion has much to do with the recent developments along main street.

I still think St. Charles really needs to work on its appearance as you cross over 70. Though I was thrilled to see that Noah's Ark Best Western finally come down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis