Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 08:27 PM

35 posts, read 54,764 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Saint Louis for several months now, moved here in mid-April from Long Beach, CA. In Long Beach I lived in a one-bedroom apartment and only had electricity, and my bill was never over $30 in the 7 years I lived there. I lived closed to the beach so no need for AC

But here in Saint Louis, I have the same-size apartment but I have electric & gas (stove is gas). I barely used the AC in the summer, haven't even turned on the heat yet. But pretty much same usage as when I lived in Cali, but my bills are so much higher! I expected my electric bill to be so much cheaper since now the stove uses gas, but my electric is around $30 to $40, and so is my gas bill!

So I went from paying $25 to $30 with just electric in California, to $70 - $80 with gas & electric here in Saint Louis. This makes no sense!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 10:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Not that this is a huge help, but are you sure your usage is actually pretty much the same? Because electric rates are actually lower here than where you're from, just based on a quick look at Southern California Edison vs Ameren MO. Not sure what the differences are in the base service fees. I'm not as familiar with the gas rates so I won't comment there. I'd imagine you'd save a little money with electric-only places because you wouldn't be paying the flat service fees for both.

Also, are you set up for budget billing perhaps, and being billed based on expected usage that was kind of established by previous tenants?

Old 10-13-2014, 07:25 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
I didn't think they'd budget based on previous tenants, but it's possible. Just wait till you purchase a home, use the A/C on a regular basis, and start seeing $200-300 electric bills in a month...then it just switches to a super high gas bill in the winter as you heat your home...Even living in Missouri during college, I never saw an electric bill that was $30 or $40...we always averaged in the $100 range, and this was a decade ago, honestly I'm pretty impressed with your current bill.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:48 AM

414 posts, read 884,225 times
There are a lot of factors that can go into usage...

Does your new place use efficient appliances? What about the light bulbs, are they LED, CFLs or incandescent?

Are there external lights that your landlord might have tied to your meter?

Old 10-13-2014, 09:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Even living in Missouri during college, I never saw an electric bill that was $30 or $40...we always averaged in the $100 range, and this was a decade ago, honestly I'm pretty impressed with your current bill.
The highest are electric bill has ever been is $96, and that was because our a/c was messed up.

Otherwise our electric is usually $70ish in the summer, $25-$35 in spring/fall and about $50 in the winter. Gas is around $35 all year, except for in the winter where its around $50.

We live in a one bedroom apartment that's probably around 750 sq ft.

I can't remember if our electric was more or less in California. The bills for rent, electric, sewer, trash, and water were all bundled into one.

Although we don't pay for sewer, trash, or water here, so that makes our bills cheaper in St Louis compared to California (bay area).

Old 10-13-2014, 09:52 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
(1) If your fridge was made before 2001, then it could be part of your problem. The best modern models use less than half of what 1993-2000 fridges used. For older fridges it's even more striking.
(2) If you go online you can usually get a day by day readout of your electricity usage, sometimes even hour by hour. Find out what your usage is when you are not home.
(3) Some places have large monthly fees. This fee would apply even if you didn't use a single watt of electricity. What is yours?
(4) Are you paying for electricity not going to your apartment? Sometimes when you are not home you might want to throw the main circuit breaker (protect your food in ice). See if the neighbor is complaining about losing power or some public lights don't work.
(5) Dehumidifiers are big power hogs. Are you running one?
(6) Get a kill-a-watt meter and test some of your appliances. Do an audit of the things you use and look for the source of the problem.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:27 AM

101 posts, read 325,392 times
Look at your bills, Amren UE charges a 25 dollar connection fee every month for electric, and some sort of connection fee every month for gas. I could be wrong about the amount of the connection fee, but your Amren bill will never be below 50 bucks even if you don't use a bit of electricity or gas. The connection fee is just for the privilege of being connected to their service every month.

Socal Edison just charges for electricity and taxes, no special connection fees. I live in Santa Barbara area and my electric bill was never over 40 bucks, even in winter, in an all-electric apartment.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:45 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I didn't think they'd budget based on previous tenants, but it's possible.
That's exactly what Ameren does. We ran into that when we first moved to St Louis. We actually moved into a duplex that was previously billed as the entire house, and got whomped by budget billing so badly in the first three months (after which we turned it off) that we had a credit big enough to pay the next nine months and still had some left over when we moved out.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:55 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAgeHobo View Post
Look at your bills, Amren UE charges a 25 dollar connection fee every month for electric, and some sort of connection fee every month for gas. I could be wrong about the amount of the connection fee, but your Amren bill will never be below 50 bucks even if you don't use a bit of electricity or gas. The connection fee is just for the privilege of being connected to their service every month.
Thats not true. I've had a number of bills from Ameren that were only $20. The only additional charges on my bill are a fuel adjustment charge ($1.32), Energy efficiency adjustment charge ($0.97), and a Maplewood Municipality charge ($3.28).

Now Laclede Gas does have a "customer charge" of 19.50. So while I only used $6.33 worth of gas last month, my bill was just over $30 after the Maplewood tax.

Laclede also charges a "service initiation" charge for new customers. I think it was like $20-$30, but the charges were spread out over multiple bills.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Yeah, the flat fee for Ameren is nowhere near $25....it's $8. If you want to see what your exact charges should be for service, see the following: https://ameren.com/-/media/missouri-...4Rate1MRES.pdf

That PDF does not include the "riders" which are extra and vary. Fuel adjustment charge is one of the riders.
https://ameren.com/missouri/rates/el...service-bundle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis